B6 S4 Gearbox Question

S43MTC

Reaction score
Question for B6 S4 drivers

I took an S4 for a test drive tonight... I really liked it, but I was a little concerned as the gear change felt a little heavy, and kind of "clonked" into gear, even when we had done several miles and the gearbox oil was up to temperature

this was expecially noticable when driving in traffic and changing from first to second... it sertainly wasnt a crunch feeling... it felt quite positive in a way

i just wanted to check if this was normal...

thanks in advance

tom

dunno about s4's but my 1.8t is clonky between 1 and 2 but my b5 wasnt like that, maybe a recent audi thing.

It's not just S4s, my TDi is the same. It's worse in winter. I'm considering adding some slick 50 to see if that helps. Failing that a completed drain and some red line MTL 75w90 oil!!

Yep - mine was like that - 1st was a pain round town in stop start traffic, as through it so quick. Used to short shift 1st to 3rd most of time and let the torque pull it through - whihc also seemed to make the actual gear change itself slide in easier.

The current one though is smoother - but then it's a tip ;-)

thanks for all your replies people...

very useful to know that it isnt just the car i drove that does it :)

Tom

same ere mine clunks into second and it does my head in

Yeah it seems to snatch out of 1st as soon as you touch it, then klonk into second, that has to be synchro, gear oil or selector link adjustment.

Its annoying but im waiting until I get my JHM solid short throw shifter until i do more messing about in the gearbox tunnel, something has to happen though cos it makes me look like I can't drive when I have passengers :mad: - JHM have hardened slider bushes with the shift and its a damn fine piece of kit. I could easily make one like it at work, but my boss would moan his *** off :(

:greyrs4:

thats 2 of us lookin like we cant drive then scots lol. has yours changed at all since you did the shifter mod ?