Transmission speed sensor.......!

Bobbles

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined the forum and its my first post, so go easy..................

I've got a 53 1.9 TDI Sport 130 and recently the engine managment ight has come on. The 2 errors that vag com show are 1764 coolant tmp sensor, this sems a reatively common one and the other I havent found on any forums yet, 17106 transmission output sensor - no signal.

Any ideas on,
a) where is it
b) the effect on the car (appears to drive ok)
c) cost and fitting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I would reckon the transmission sensor passes roadspeed data to the ecu to drive the speedo, auto locking etc.

The CTS is more important since it can cause weird running from wrong temp data, its not that dear and easy to change, just make sure you get the right one for your year / engine code, as they change from year to year sometimes wi vag cars.

It might not help, but you might try an old fashioned vag reset....

VAG RESET:
Have the radio code! Disconnect the main car battery at both terminals, then touch the cable ends together (N00bs: do this away from the battery, never EVER bridge or short the battery terminals when connected! - Big Bang Happens!)

Touching the ends together drains away stored charge in the ECU's capacitors and power lines, saving you having to wait 10 mins for it to clear down and reset.

Reconnect battery, positive + terminal first then neg (that way you cant short the battery to ground while spannering the positive terminal)

The ECU will start from scratch like a new car. Put the ignition on but dont touch the throttle pedal or start it yet, wait till all clicking and whirring has settled, then start the car. Drive for at least 11km / 5 miles to allow fuel adaptation learning to occur.

See if your fault codes stop appearing after the ECU learns the current sensor values...as long as they arent busted, just drifted out of normal range.

Thanks for the reply. I was getting worried that no one would reply. I'll give it go.

cheers:thumbsup:

No problem :)

If the sensors in question are truly faulty then they will remain so after a reset, so if they return, get them swapped out. I have ETKA as some others do on here, but its not installed on my laptop yet, when I get it done i'll look up the sensor locations for you.

Usually VAG sensors are quite cheap so you can do them your self if you can locate them.