A4 Cabriolet Boot won't close HELP!

kevingallimore

Reaction score
Had this problem onece before where the boot would not close. Moved the black handle inside that lowers the plastic for the roof to drop. But this time it does not make any difference.
Any other suggestions?

WD40 on the mechanism on the boot edge? Maybe its sticky, or is latching itself in the closed position when the boot is opened, try touching the electronic "handle" when the bootlid is up to see if it moves over to the open position and stays there, and then close the lid....?

Does it keep bouncing off the lock ? The black handle that lowers the boot part would not normally make any difference to the boot shutting. Does the boot release 'handle' make the lock work when the boot lid is up ? I've just checked mine and the motor still works when the boot is open. The cabriolets do have the occasional problem with cables breaking in the looms from the chassis to the lid. This is normally the radio aerial cables though.

Hope this might help a little

Andy

Does it keep bouncing off the lock ? The black handle that lowers the boot part would not normally make any difference to the boot shutting. Does the boot release 'handle' make the lock work when the boot lid is up ? I've just checked mine and the motor still works when the boot is open. The cabriolets do have the occasional problem with cables breaking in the looms from the chassis to the lid. This is normally the radio aerial cables though.

Hope this might help a little

Andy

Thats exactly where I was going with that Andy, I had an episode of this behaviour wi my B5, only on one occasion though and it never did it again after drowning it in WD40 :sly:

Try not to use WD40 on things like this. WD40 is water based and eventually breaks down and turns back to water.
I prefer to use a Teflon based spray. Go into a local push bike shop and you should be able to pick up a large can for £3

Try not to use WD40 on things like this. WD40 is water based and eventually breaks down and turns back to water.
I prefer to use a Teflon based spray. Go into a local push bike shop and you should be able to pick up a large can for £3

Good call Andy, never knew that about WD, always though it was just a spray oil....?

Teflon lube has sooooo many uses ! ;)
Great for locks, windows..... stuff................... :)

Oh and occasionally the boot latch can come slightly loose - I loosened mine when I changed the rear boot brake light and it bounced back as it was not quite lined up.

Failing that, then some gaffer tape to hold it down to get you home.

Sorted! Thanks.
It was the bar on the body where the latch cliks in. t had come loose and moved too far down to operate the catch. Lifted it up and tightened the 2 bolts................