Quickshift DIY

ScottyP45

Reaction score
I did the quickshift DIY thing yesterday, and im very impressed with the result, though the plastic end on the factory shifter is not as good as a solid metal stick, so I will buy an aftermarket one later.

I was looking for some time for a good shift, and came across these 2 as the best so far...

http://shop.jhmotorsports.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=5

http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=826

I tried to buy one online from JHM, unfortunatley their website won't accept UK postal codes, so may have to find another supplier but googling turned up nothing in the UK! :banghead:

The achtuning / hypershift is a nice piece of kit too, but retains the factory ball housing which is a plastic bit so not as tough as the JHM all steel one.

To mod the stock shifter, you simply have to drill through the shifter foot and stick end with a 9mm drill, then redrill the plastic stick end to about 11mm (to match the diameter of the little bush that the pivot bolt passes through) then slip the little bush out of the original hole and push it into the new lower hole, and refit the bolt to the lower position, effectively lengthening the part of the shift after the pivot point created by the ball on the stick, and reducing the throw quite a bit.

It was pretty easy but not for the faint hearted unless you have a spare stick, as careless drilling of the plastic bit may break it, making it unuseable. (must be drilled straight too lol)

Overall, it worked out well for me, and has convinced me to get a proper one in metal now.

Anyone know of a UK or Euro stockist of JHM or Hypershift TX??

Update: Driving the car today its made a nice difference, maybe 20 to 30% reduction in throw, tight, slick and solid feeling (probably the tightening of the bolts and bushes when refitting.

No weirdness, gets every gear neatly including reverse, and cost me nothing! It feels like a brand new shift and I'm sold on getting a proper one (cos I like shiny metal bits over plastic any day :) )

:biggrin:

To mod the stock shifter, you simply have to drill through the shifter foot and stick end at the same time (while still together) with a 9mm drill, then redrill the plastic stick end on its own (removed) to about 11mm (to match the diameter of the little bush that the pivot bolt passes through) then slip the little bush out of the original hole and push it into the new lower hole, and refit the bolt to the lower position, effectively lengthening the part of the shift after the pivot point created by the ball on the stick, and reducing the throw quite a bit.

I never measured the bush diameter, just selected a drill bit that was a neat fit in the original bush hole, about 11 or 12mm i reckon, easy to test before drilling.

Here is a comparison of the JHM quickshift and the standard one, showing the new hole for the pivot bolt in red on the original, which matches the JHM position:

JHM_B6A4-1.jpg

Here is a rough diagram showing holes in shifter foot and shaft end...

stick.jpg

Cheers Jase, if anyone does this and doesnt like it, they can easily put it back.

Total time for mod was about an hour, and was very easy to do, just take care to drill straight or use a pillar drill and jig (i used a vice and power drill but im an engineer so I drill stuff every day) and the rest is easy.

When repositioning the two (socket head ) adjustment bolts on the top and bottom gear rods, just mark the positions of the edges where they meet with a scratch or paint blob and you are back to the right starting points, although its very easy to adjust the centering if its off, just do the 2 socket head bolts up tight so they can't move after install and positioning and your good to go!

PS: Dont overtighten the little pinch bolt on the shift foot (it has a nyloc nut) or the shift will feel unbearably heavy, just tighten then back it off until the foot swings smoothly under a little bit of effort, not slack, but not tight either. (just enough to stop it falling down by itself if held horizontal)

Oh and you can't refit the shift stick with the foot on, put the stick in from the top then fit the shift foot, cos the stock foot won't pass thru the ball socket (doh!)