Brake upgrades

Ess_Three

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Bear with me here, because I know absolutely nothing about this generation of A4...

A mate of mine has an 03 130 PD TDI A4...and complains about the brakes.
I don't know what size they are standard...but is there a reasonably cheap upgrade out there?

The sort of bigger disc/calliper carrier upgrade other models get away with?
Or is it upgraded pads or a big brake kit as the two choices?

Any info welcomed...thanks.

I'd agree with the brakes being rubbish. Our car is the same except a 2004 model. When it needs disks I'll be looking at an upgrade. probably not far off as the disks have a fair lip on them after only 35k

S4 brakes are a common choice. No idea of cost and don't know if they fit with 17" wheels.

Not sure of parts required but it'll be at least disks, caliper carriers and calipers. I think the bigger splash guards are needed. Would probably be worth putting on some Goodridge lines at the same time.

There's been a few threads on brakes recently. Obviously a popular mod at the moment...

The S4 brake upgrade seems to be relatively easy, so long as the car has min 18" wheels. A 'kit' has been advertised on eBay recently for £350 + labour to fit, which I would guess at being circa 3hrs? So at a local garage at say £50/hr, that would c£500 fitted.

Brembo do a kit for about £800 supply only.

You can also buy Porsche 996 calipers and with some carriers made up to use them, apparently does the trick too. I'm thinking about the S4 option...

Not sure of the standard size, but would think they're c280mm dia. The S4's discs are 345mm...

Hope that helps, although others know ALOT more about this subject than I !

I put B5 S4 brakes on my 130 tdi A4.
323/30mm discs and twin piston calipers.A massive improvement over the standard ones.Straight fit and can be had for less than £150 for the lot.
Heres mine

You can use the caliper carrier from the 3.0L petrol or the 2.5tdi. This moves the caliper further out allowing the bigger disc, 312mm, from the aforementioned cars.

This is probably the cheapest route which has a good increase in stopping ability.

I weighed up the brembo, S4 and this method. This was the best solution for what I needed. Its not like the 1.9 is gonna break any records . . . . . So anything more than that was a waste of money.

My two penny worth anyway.

I think it cost £230 all in for discs, pads new carriers and splash shields.

You can use the caliper carrier from the 3.0L petrol or the 2.5tdi. This moves the caliper further out allowing the bigger disc, 312mm, from the aforementioned cars.

This is probably the cheapest route which has a good increase in stopping ability.

I weighed up the brembo, S4 and this method. This was the best solution for what I needed. Its not like the 1.9 is gonna break any records . . . . . So anything more than that was a waste of money.

My two penny worth anyway.

I think it cost £230 all in for discs, pads new carriers and splash shields.

Which is more expensive than the b5 S4 ones and nowhere near as good.

My Sport 163 has big brakes, not sure if they are uprated or original, but they are ferocious! Probably the 312mm standard fit for the car but they are incredible.

Might be a cheaper alternative to the S4 ones for you? Dunno how much Sport brakes are second hand tho, maybe someone can advise?

Is that including new Audi discs and pads ????

No.
b5 S4 calipers can be had for as little as £50.I got some new grooved discs for £99 delivered and Mintex extreme pads for £40 delivered.
I replaced the oem Audi ones with these and the difference was amazing.
Not bad for £190 and better than new Audi discs and pads.
100_0073.jpg

312mm are a bit better than 288mm but are a waste of money as an upgrade when compared to these.

dont the s4 calipers from a b5 fit straight onto the 312 set up, so its just a case of fit the calipers then new discs and pads

dont the s4 calipers from a b5 fit straight onto the 312 set up, so its just a case of fit the calipers then new discs and pads

I dont know about that.
There is a big difference in the width of the discs.
DSC00439.jpg

It might work,i dont know.
To be honest though you would be better off with the bigger disc.

so what did you buy when you upgaded your brakes then james ? s4 calipers, s4 discs, s4 pads

I got the whole front set up including splashguards delivered for £120.Used them for a bit but wanted some grooved discs and better pads so changed them.
I tried upgrading to 312mm from 288mm on my golf years ago and they was better but not by much so didnt bother wasting my money this time and went straight for the S4 ones.

did you have to use different caliper mountings to fit the bigger discs or did the set come with them.i have 312 on mine from the factory but i think they are quite weak to be honest

I didnt think the 312mm was that good at stopping my golf.I fitted R32 to that and they are very good.
I got both twin pot calipers,caliper mounting brackets,splashguards,very good discs and pads,all the flexi pipes(dont need them as the original ones will fit straight onto the S4 calipers) evan all the bolts.
Look very good with a bit of paint too.Visual and performance mod in one.

I put B5 S4 brakes on my 130 tdi A4.
Heres mine

I've just bought some B5 RS4 brakes to upgrade my S4. I was thinking about putting my S4 brakes on the wifes TDI. So you are saying the B5 S4 brakes bolt straight on to the B6 A4 TDI i wont need anything else at all?

s4-18.jpg

I've just bought some B5 RS4 brakes to upgrade my S4. I was thinking about putting my S4 brakes on the wifes TDI. So you are saying the B5 S4 brakes bolt straight on to the B6 A4 TDI i wont need anything else at all?

Thats right,b5 and b6 S4 will be a straight fit on a b6 tdi.

hi, i have 17" wheels on a 2.0 a4 b6...whats the best audi parts upgrade for this and what will i need?
cheers

B6 S4 upgrade, well recommended. Put mine on a few weeks back after refurbing some second hand S4 calipers

0708S4BrakeOtherSideDone.jpg

hi, i have 17" wheels on a 2.0 a4 b6...whats the best audi parts upgrade for this and what will i need?
cheers

My understanding is that you can put on 312mm disks but not S4 (345mm) unless you go to 18" wheels minimum. You'll need new caliper carriers and splashguards in addition to disks. VAGParts have the caliper carriers and probably the splashguards.

I have no idea what size disks the 2.0 comes with as standard. It may be 288 which is that same as my TDi.

get some 18" wheels and bolt on B5 RS4 discs and calipers
you can pick up a full set on eBay for around £150-200

what would hve to be changed to fit the b5 rs4 calipers and discs to a 1.9 tdi that would not need to be changed if i were to fit just the b5 s4 callipers and discs???