reversing camera??

ickleric

Reaction score
has anyone installed a reversing camera at all? and hooked it up to a dvd screen or rns-e?? If so where have you put the camera? Is it hidden? Cos i was thinking about it but i don't want to be able to see if. The only place i can think of putting it is under the cover where the key and button is.

Yes I am currently workiing on a reverse camera install in my A4, I have installed the camera in the boot handle. Just waiting for some wiring from kufatec.de and then I will hook it up to the RNS-E.

DSC00128.jpg

thats looks a nice fit. have you taken the lock out to fit that in?

Yeah I have binned the boot lock, Ive never once used it in the year I have owned the car so I wont miss it.

When i look at various reversing cameras, and dvd screens they seem to say that it will auto come on the screen when you reverse. How does this work, does it need to be hooked up to the reverse some how??

I'm feeding my signal to the RNS-E so I dont know about other types of screens. The RNS-E will auto-switch as the reverse signal is fed over the CANBUS and you also need a software index greater than 0550.

you might like to check out www.easydirectshopping.com for reversing cameras etc that arent silly prices, I have a personal connection with them so hopefully the MODs / Forum owners don't mind me pointing you to it, otherwise apologies to the forum if it breaks a rule doing this and I expect it will be removed if so and I will get one of these: :asskicking:

MODs - kind of advertising i know but not intended that way, just trying to help someone, sorry if it offends. Please spank liberally if it does!

No, its not brilliant in the saloon but its not terrible either. I just like tinkering with stuff, especially when Audi tell you its completely impossible and cannot be fitted!

I think I'll stick with the OEM camera, thats not exactly discreet is it?

Recording track days with it? I'd just use my video camera if thats what I wanted one for!

it sure is ugly j7uss,but at least youd still get the chrome number plate surrounds ( sorry mate had too! ):laugh::laugh::laugh:

haha, I was waiting for someone to come along and say that, They'll be gone soon dont worry!..

they have tiny little spy cams too, take a look for yourself and see what's there, that item was only a suggestion, no one said it had to be hidden like some james bond ****.

The numberplate one might be ugly etc but its not exactly the size of a BBC film crew either is it? LOL

Anyway, why dont you want people to know you have a reversing camera? Is it cos you think they are for girls & OAP's who can't park... :haha: ...but you still want one?

I couldnt care less who knows I have one. I just dont want my car look its been used in a ram-raid at Ripspeed.

If I was to have one then Id go with Isaac's...but I dont want one and dont intend to so.....well yeah,ha!!

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help, but I've just installed a reverse camera on my A4, which is connected via my TV Tuner AV input 1 which all links to the RNS-e.

The picture from the camera is great when you manually select AV1 on the head unit, but if I connect the reverse signal wire to the RSFL connection at the back of the RNS'e, select reverse the camera picture appears, but the picture is all stretched and distorted.

It's a real pain as the picture stays like that until you reboot the the RNS-e even if you select the standard TV Tuner channel.

The firmware is 0600, all settings are PAL, tried looking through VAG-COM but couldn't find anything obvious.

Can anybody help please!!!

It's a camera from ebay nothing special, 420 lines etc, but the strange thing is it works great if I manually select AV1 on the TV tuner via the RNS-e, but as soon as I put 12+v to the RSFL connection the picture comes up distorted and ghosting and the only way to restore the picture is to reboot the RNS-e.

sounds like you are getting 2 signals at once mate.

How many signal cables come from the cam? Just one - composite vid, 4 for RGB + Sync or a multiplug?

If its a multiplug it must be compatibility, a fault, or a setting error since the unit should route the signals automatically.

If its loose cables they may be wrongly plugged in and giving signals to 2 inputs simultaneously or some such, hard to say what else without seeing it but also consider cross-radiation or reflection of signals - try keeping cables running parrallel instead of crossing each other, that minimises induction effects between them.

Can you set what input the head unit is to use when the reverse signal comes on? It might let you select AV1 and could be set to something else and both channels are clashing, or causing the video to get garbled sync etc

id agree with evil, surely av is an input to the tuner, not a seperate output to the rns-e, the rns-e only has one input anyway so i guess your getting a conflict of signals, im currently in the middle of doing this myself and im having the same prob on the input as im already using a dvd player hence no other input to rns-e.

sorry noob question here. do you need anything else other than a camera and the correct cabling to enable this mod?