EM TuningChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Angry Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Intermitant Fault

My engine management light has come on again, with this error (again). Last time i had it the ESP light was on permanent, but after taking the car for a drive it cleared itself. This time though the ESP light isn't on. When i do a VAG-COM i get this error. Any ideas?? Also what exactly does this sensor do, will it cause any problems if i continue to drive it, will it cause any damage?

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Supply Voltage Terminal 30 - intermittant

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Got this on one of our A4s when we put a new battery in. Needed to recalibrate the steering wheel, do a search on the net to see how.

Neutral

Status
    oh right, do you think that could happen if you disconnect then reconnect the battery? as i did to clear another fault i had fixed.

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    Its unlikely to show up just by disconnecting the battery. The steering angle sensor is a ring behind the steering wheel that tells the the ecu which way your steering as part of the traction control system. This is why your ESP light was one, it also means your traction control either wont be active at all or not functioning properly. The rosstech website tells how to recalibrate the sensor, but you'll need a registered copy of vagcom to do this. If this dosent fix the prblem they're a doddle to replace, you simply remove the steering wheel & the steering angle sensor is just clipped on to the steering column behind it, no idea of cost mind you!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

Neutral

Status
    The code may just still be lingering from when the light came on previously, did you clear it down and recheck it?

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry, but Nickynibbles is wrong, it is very common for it to come on when disconnecting the battery.

4th Gear

Status
    the esp light does come on when youve disconnected the battery, but it goes out after a couple of hundred metres of driving
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jase0851 View Post
    the esp light does come on when youve disconnected the battery, but it goes out after a couple of hundred metres of driving
    Exactly, should of been clearer i suppose but this is what I meant! I took my steering wheel off a good few times & disconnected the battery as a result. If I ever got the esp light up it would disappear straight away with no code clearing needed with vagcom as soon as I drove it.
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!