Air filter get change

jy30

Reaction score
Alrite, i want to change the air-filter to the K&N one, but wonder will it affect lead to overheat of the engine as told by my friends ?
OR should i just replace the panel? will it be less efficient by just chaning the panel ?
thanks .:busted_cop:

i've got a green panel filter in my 1.8t never had a problem with it,do you mean K&N induction though if so better state your engine and i'm sure someone will help you.

my engine size is 1.8 T quattro 163bhp, hope this will help. .yes i mean the induction kit. cheers

the MAF should take care of fuel ratio itself, so although a free flow filter will allow more air thru, the air/fuel ratio is determined by feedback from the MAF so the ECU adjusts accordingly. The only thing it can't adjust for is a leak downstream of the MAF which would allow unmetered air in and cause weak mixture and overheating under load.

So in short, it shouldn't cause any unwanted effects.

no point with an induction kit mate as apparently the stock air intake on an a4 is the most efficient just put a panel filter in your box

Induction will make more noise and will not cause any overheating of the engine.
It will suck in warm air from under the bonnet if its not shielded and has a decent cold air feed.
Doubt you will see anymore than a couple of bhp,if your lucky.

thanks guys, i've heard that someone need to connect another pipe for cold air, so i just changed the k&n panel in stead. thanks anyway

I used the factory heatshield that was on the side of the factory airbox. I've had no problems with 'bogging' down due to heat.
As per my previous posts on this VERY debatable subject, Ive had no problems with MAF sensors failing due to 'oiled' filters.
I had a K&N panel filter in until the other week, the K&N gave a little bit more spool up noise, but it can't beat the green cotton filter that I've now got fitted in conjunction with the uprated Forge 007.
As you can see from the pic, the factory shield is to the right of the Green filter and I've kept the factory inlet which funnels nice cold air right to the Green filter. Nothing cut or chopped so the whole thing can go back to standard!
I can post some VAGCOM temp readings if people are really interested.
I did 65000 miles with a Carbonio induction kit on my Octavia vRS with no problems and I don't expect to have any with the Green filter on the cabriolet.
Bear in mind I didn't pay anything for the Green filter - it was just 'hanging' around in the workshop. And the K&N panel cost me £12 on ebay second hand !!!!!
DSCF1519.jpg