2.5 tdi quattro fuel consumption?

OnTheJazz

Reaction score
Hi there, i currently have a B5 tdi avant which is getting a bit long in the tooth (200k+)

Have seen a few B6 2.5 TDi quattro avants and i was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what sort of mpg should i expect?
also besides the obvious torque increase, is it worth going for the 2.5 over the 1.9?

Cheers

This old chestnut.........
Well, I get consistently 35mpg from my 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant (6 speed manual), if I drive it normally, i.e. not tub it....I drove for a week not going over 2000rpm and got 41mpg (bit of a yawn doing that)....my driving is a mix of motorways & A & B roads.....on a long motorway run doing 80mph, using cruise control, I get 40mpg....

1.9's do more - you will see some people get 60 mpg out of their 1.9's. (yeah rite)....not sure what 1.9 Quattros do though (very rare beasts they are) but it will be less than a FWD only 1.9....high 40's is probably a good bet in terms of MPG....

Worse though for the 2.5TDi is that next year Mr Darling will want 300 beer vouchers for the Road Tax (cos it chucks out 211 grm/Km of Co2 - an additional £90 on top of this years Road Tax, and £310 the following year, which realistically is 2 entire fuel tank refills), whereas the 1.9's will obviously be less

I have a 2.5 and think it goes extremely well, its a quattro so its a 180hp model. I have never driven a 1.9 to compare, but have to say the 2.5 does go very well.

As for fuel, I have never worked it out properly, but the DIS states an average of 31.3 mpg - which I have to say isn't great, but I do drive it pretty hard and reckon with more restraint you should see 35.

What does anyone else think?

This old chestnut.........
Well, I get consistently 35mpg from my 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant (6 speed manual), if I drive it normally, i.e. not tub it....I drove for a week not going over 2000rpm and got 41mpg (bit of a yawn doing that)....my driving is a mix of motorways & A & B roads.....on a long motorway run doing 80mph, using cruise control, I get 40mpg....

:thumbsup: I hadn't seen your post as I wrote mine!

I haven't driven a 1.9TDi Quattro, but i did own a 1.9TDi fwd before my 2.5, so I could shed some light on the performance side of things. I'd have the 2.5 over the 1.9 on performance terms everyday! If fuel consumption is your thing tho, go for the 1.9. I love my 2.5, the torque is awesome, with a nice shove in the back when the turbo spools up. On a decent motorway run, I can get about 35-37 mpg, but on the stop-start comute into manchester city centre I only manage 27. In the 1.9, the same comute gave me 47-49 mpg, and a nice motorway run gave me 55-57(honestly - these are actual calculations, not the DIS reading which can be 10% optimistic).

Johnboyc, are you sure the co2 for yours is only 211? My V5 says mine is 227gm/km!

Wonder what effect the tiptronic gearbox has on economy? Do you use the paddles ore just leave it in auto generally?

Generally just stick it in D, no point using anything else on the crawl into city centre. I use the sport and tiptronic on my ventures out to the sites I have to visit for work as they are rural and a lot are in the lake district, so the roads invite "spirited" driving. I'm sure the torque converter has got a negative effect on consumption tho.

Thanks for the replys, i still do quite alot of miles (20k+ per year), so i have to have my economy head on, so i'll start searching down a 1.9!

Thanks Again, Dave

My 2.5 did 33mpg until i got to Cornwall, its about 31 now (all those lanes) cruising on the mway at 80 gives 33-34, cruising at 100 - 120 gives 30. Worst about 27 (smirk) best ever 39 (yawn).
My wifes 1.9 did 45 -50 when we were in Scotland, haven't checked it recently but suspect now around 40 down here.
Driving around town the 1.9 is much more lively, but show the 2.5 an open road and its away. Long distance the 2.5 wins every time in comfort, roll on power/torque. I'm so used to the quattro now i take it for granted, getting back into a fwd require a bit of recalibration, you just can't drive it around the corners as hard, and you notice the wet a lot more.

Thanks for the replys, i still do quite alot of miles (20k+ per year), so i have to have my economy head on, so i'll start searching down a 1.9!

Thanks Again, Dave

6 1.9 TDI Quattros on the Audi website but only 2 are Avants.
14 Avant TDI Q on Autotrader.

Good hunting!

1.9's do more - you will see some people get 60 mpg out of their 1.9's. (yeah rite)....not sure what 1.9 Quattros do though (very rare beasts they are) but it will be less than a FWD only 1.9....high 40's is probably a good bet in terms of MPG....

I've got a 1.9TDi Quattro Avant - I'm no slouch when driving but not as red-liner either!

On a good run I can get mid 40's but my normal mixed driving will get me 40

I know its not ultra eficient but what I lose in MPG I feel I gain in the driving style of the Quattro :) love it!!