Audi A4 TDI 130bhp Help!!

sainte986

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was on here a few months ago looking for a A3, but decided I wanted a diesel instead, and prefer a bigger car, ie a A4 TDI.

I want a Audi A4 1.9TDI 130bhp version, saloon, I will have about £6000 to spend, so I will be looking at between 2001(Y) and 2002 or so, which i no mean you dont get a 6 speed gear box, but I mainly do town driving, so the 5speed box should be perfect.

Just wanted some advice on what to look for, what they are like to live with, reliablity.
But more importantly, would you recommend one?

Patrick

I have a 2004 1.9TDi 130 6 speed, and touch wood I have had it for 18 months and it has not missed a beat, I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Des780
I would recommend one,really good car.Only downside is the ****** noise they make.
Make sure the aircon works,listen for knocks from the front end,make sure the maf is ok and check for smoke.

I have an 01 (51) 130 5-speed and had it for almost 20k miles now and brilliant engine. Had it remapped almost straight away (REVO) and still manage 45mpg c600 mioles to the tank...

Great cars...

We've had ours now for 3 years and 80k miles. The only problem so far has been a new turbo at 170k miles which isn't bad.
My advice would be to go for the youngest car you can get and don't worry about the mileage, so for 6k you should be abe to get an 03 or even an 04

And more stylish than a passat, saw a passat with leather the other day, and all it did was scream vinyl.

I would prefer a looked after older car, than a newer high mileage car, ie 2001 Y/51 with 99000miles than 03 with 130000miles.

Saying that tho, the other day, I drove a 2005 Mazda 6 2.0d with 123000miles and it was tight as. lovely to drive.

I think im going to go and look at one on tuesday, just to get a feel for it ^_^

How much have you guys paid to have the cam belt done, my dad is a mechanic and has done other cars I have owned, but doesnt want to touch removing the whole front end. I cant see it being more than £200??

Ive had mine (2002 / 51) for about 6 months. TDI 130 SE Avant with 115000. Had to change the pulley belt wheel on the alternator as it siezes and squeals. Ive now fitted Lowered suspension, H&R springs off ebay for £50 and £150 for Bilsteins shocks. Colour coded the lowers too and refurbed the alloys and fitted the S-Line lower front spoiler (£180) Im well happy with it now and today went to a mountain bike centre and returned avg 55mpg. Ive had the front end off mine 3 times now and you dont need to remove it completely, just slides off and hangs forward allowing you access.

Deinitely the best car Ive had, and I had an X plate c220 elegance before this. Mine was bought on ebay, with original audi sport alloys, all Audi History, and Black buffalino leather and glass sunroof. All for just over £6000 so you can get the cars for your money.

mething to look out for when looking at these?
I have heard that these engines run to high mileages very easily, ie 120000 on a 2002 is not a problem providing its been looked after?
Also, is the standard stereo good, and looking on autotrader I have only found 2001/2002 models and most have electric rear windows, are they a option?

Hi,
I think they were an option as my 2002 SE has only electric fronts. The only thing to watch is to let the engine heat up and idle, and check its not vibrating through the car too badly, Ive heard this is common and mine suffers slightly. Also suspension can be quite wallowy, and check for clunks or knocks from the front area.

My 54 plate sport has done 98K and the gearbox is still tight, there is no play in the gearstick whatsoever.
It has only got electric front windows and manual rears, plus the wing mirrors dont have the fold option on them, thats one thing i miss from the LCR.

Had a 54 plate 130 Avant Sport from new. Its got 115,000 on the clock now and bar tyres, pads and a few minor bits it hasn't missed a beat. Don't worry about the milage just make sure its had a bit of TLC.

I have a 2001 130 sport, full leather, DIS, armrest etc. It's a great car and the bonus is it's only done 38k. :)

Just got some new wheels for it, 17" Audi star... looks much better!!!

Low mileage cars have usually had a hard life - lots of short journeys, not very good for the mechanicals. No idea why people still foolishly believe low mileage is a good thing, give me a high mileage motorway cruiser anyday of the week.

I have a 94 Audi 80 TDi (1Z engine), just ticked over 190k today. Drop the oil at every 5k, cambelt on time etc... Perfect!

Chas

ive had bose and non bose and tbh audi headunits arnt wery good sound quality wise, you wouldnt believe the difference a decent aftermarket headunit can make

just a update;

I went on saturday 17th to view and test a 2001(Y) A4 TDI 130bhp saloon se spec, done 128000miles, history, concert cd player.

link

And my god did that thing have some get up and go for a car that weights just under 1400kgs, once you started getting over 1500rpm you could feel the turbo spooling, foot down and off it went. Didnt feel like a big heavy saloon, barly any turbo lag.
The power from the engine was amazing, quick and so stable. Still felt like it had only done 28000miles not 128000miles. It was comfy, the seats were not as hard as VWs.
I think my next car has to have that engine, i drove it in a bora 130bhp 4yrs ago and wanted it for ages.
I think without a doubt the audi is at the top of the table for me :D

and the std stereo is very good, but does it suffer from the same memory problem as the a3 tape player?

Patrick

I just wanted to add on the testdrive, i could smell diesel.
I asked the dealer and he just said the car has been parked up for 4 weeks, is this normal, bearing in mind that I have been driving petrols since I passed my test in 03, he tried to pass that off as "not being used to driving a diesel"

is this true or him trying to pull a fast one?

You shouldnt really be able to smell diesel, I cant smell it all in mine.

sounds like b0ll0x to me! ive never smelt diesel in mine whenever Ive not used it for a while.

Hi guys,
I thought I would add a update. I went earlier in the week to check out what else my money could buy in the luxury saloon market.
So we went down and viewed a 2001 BMW 320d 136bhp model saloon. it had cd player, leather, climate, alloys, etc. 118k miles, fbmwsh. it drove like a dream, however, not a quick as the a4. the a4 was more rapid than the bmw, but the bmw felt smoother and planted with the rwd layout. but just lacked that throw you back in the seat that the audi gave that i loved. you could feel the turbo come, but it was more gentle than explosive.
So even with that lovely rwd layout, and smooth drive, my money is still on the audi.

Which leaves me stuck with two, audi a4 tdi or mazda6 2.0d

Also having read more on the BMW, there is a potiential failing of the turbo leaving you £700 lighter :O
Or swirl valves leaving you wanting a new engine :O

However, nothing like that I have read about this engine :D

Mate go for Audi!!! My mate in work drive the 6 2.0d and the interior is rubbish!!!I like the styling on Mazda and it feels quicker and better to drive. BUT I will not be happy live with it. I love my Audi interior always make me feel so relaxed when I get in!
AUDI :o.k:

I'd say go for the Audi too, especially when comparing it to a Mazda, Audi would win every time for me. My last three cars have all been Audi's and I wouldn't buy anything else now, well, maybe an Aston if I had the cash.

Everyone always comments on my A4, saying how nice it is, even people I don't know that walk past it and everyone who gets inside loves it. I retro fitted an RNS-E too, which I think makes a difference, but I'd still say go for the Audi.

On thing I'd check that I had on my last one and this one, was injectors, if you cruse around 50 in top gear and floor it, make sure it doesn't judder.

Rich

The Mazda probably won't break, but if it does, even a clutch will cost an arm and a kidney.

The BMW probably WILL break, and cost an arm, and a kidney.

The Audi will get by with regular servicing and the RIGHT oil, and most of the bits are so cheap you will say "how much? £4.99 for a suspension bush? You must be mistaken my man...thats too cheap!" - Happy Days :O)

I trailed the forums looking for the right car with minimum horror stories, and there was only one, and it had none. Audi.

Lexus is technically more reliable but eats fuel and is slow. Easy choice!

my 02 car now has 162k and still drives very nicely
not had any real problems, did have to change the rear anti roll as it has worn, apart from that its fine, engine is great and gearbox still tight.
Has has new clutch at 122k and brakes and disks, but thats par for the course.

i think I may have fallen for something instead of the Audi. this link

150bhp 1999 V Golf GTi Turbo, I think out of all the cars I have driven, this was the best comprimise between power and economy.

It is strange that, although. I started my new car search with wanting a tdi bora, thought the golf would be more me, then a3 with smoother lines, then a4. then doing a 360 and back with the golf. it felt like a gti should, quick, but smooth and a good price with the mileage. Having worked out I do 11000miles a year, a petrol is going to be better than diesel, as I sit on the fence, I did 33mpg in that which isnt bad considering i didnt drive slow and 40mph in 1st!!! WOW

My mate has one of those on an X plate and they do drive very well - and the seats are just :o.k:

aye canne argue there mate, i do like my golfs and the 1.8t is the best all rounder.

I wouldnt say no to an R32 and I had a VR6 and GTi's already, great cars. The VR6 and R32 sound absolutely ****** sexual thru a stainless sport pipe :faint:

grrrrrrr

I did it. I bought the Golf GTi, after a argument with the insurance company. But loved the drive of the GTi so much I couldnt go without, got a great deal and pick it up on wednesday :D cant wait. Finally going to join the VAG family

its good to see you are dedicated to find a good car, i hope someone like you comes to see mine when i put it up for sale at the end of the month !

you'll have no trouble selling that car roy, its sweeeeet AND functional!

I went for a VW Gold GTi (1999V 1.8t 150bhp 20v) I picked it up yesterday and loving it. I know it’s only the 150bhp model, but it’s so nice, I averaging mid 30s, but I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and then the dump/blow off valve
clip_image001.gif

golfnoplate-1.jpg

golf2noplate.jpg

The dealer didn’t do the most amazing job of cleaning her, but I would prefer to do it myself, that way I know it’s done properly.
Also the passenger front door doesn’t seem to be locking properly, I think there is a micro switch in it has gone, I am going to wait until Tuesday to have it looked at to get the work done since it’s got 3months warranty.