AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Hellfords replacement headlight bulbs

Hi.
    I have just got an 04 A4 1.8T avant, ebony pearl. Very pleased with the car generally but disapointed with the standard headlights and saw Halfords do a 50% Xenon bulb to fit, has anyone used these?
    My dealer will happily fit them but I don't want to spend 20 per bulb plus 30 per bulb to fit them (can I fit them myself, it looks like you need to dismantle half the car to get access?)

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: Hellfords replacement headlight bulbs

Get the osram silverstar +50% bulbs from powerbulbs.com. I have them fitted on my car and very pleased with the results. Not as bright as the proper HID xenons I had on the Clio172 but its not far off and way better than the standard. The bulbs are really easy to fit yourself. Wouldn't go for halfords own brand as the bulbs are only as good as the suppler. Osram make their own bulbs and are considered one of the best.

Neutral

Status

Doesn't your S4 come with HID Xenons already? any way, it is easy, just undo the screws holding the light units in and ease them out. Then you'll have plenty of room to undo the clips. While you have them out you should get some silvervison indicator bulbs to replace the crummy orange bulbs! Its a 10 minute job to do both lights.

Neutral

Status

Hi
    which screws do you mean? And for the guy after bulbs try ebay I think the company is called euro lights there bulbs burn at 6000k and have a life time guarante there is a guy called wak who has a web site showing them in his tt

6th Gear

Status

The S4 has HID/Xenons but as frankbeaton says they're only Xenon on dipped.

I'd like to sort out the indicators and also replace the side light bulbs with ones not so yellow. I'm concerned that if remove them as mentioned above it will screw up all the alignment of the Xenons. Being as they're so bright I don't want to blind anyone. (Incidently I find them as good as my recently departed TT with a slightly better coverage) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    TOON FLYER said:
    Hi
    which screws do you mean? And for the guy after bulbs try ebay I think the company is called euro lights there bulbs burn at 6000k and have a life time guarante there is a guy called wak who has a web site showing them in his tt

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have look at the picture above, you can see the 2 bolts holding the headlight unit above dipped and main beam and there is another accessed through a hole a few inches behind the indicator light. Once undone you should be able to just slide/wigle the whole unit out.

Beware of these "blue" xenon lightbulbs that are supposed to immitate the look of HIDs as the bulbs are coated with a blue filter and acutally reduces light output.

Neutral

Status

Thanks may give that a go another intresting site for lighting is xenonvalot.com they have some good stuff

Reverse Gear

Status

Thanks folks, will go and find some of the OSRAM bulbs instead

Neutral

Status

the eurolight bulbs in america aren't the most durable bulbs you can get, they burn after a period of about 3 months, believe me ive tried alot of brands xenon headlight bulbs and actually found piaa's makes the best and doesnt burn out..... ive had mine for at least 2 years try it! and dont get the eurolight, or the silverstars! not sure if the quality over in europe or england is any better though.