Roof problems - HELP!

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
Having a slight issue with my roof at the moment on opening and closing.

Start the car, handbrake on, handbrake symbol on the dash is on.

When i push the button, the windows drop, the lid at the back goes up, and the roof opens or closes about 6 inches.

It then stops, and the roof symbol on the dash starts to flash. However much i push the button again, I cant get it to finish opening. If i drive about a bit, only a few yards, and then start again, it starts again and finishes the job.

Now this is really getting on my tits and was wondering if anyone could help me please?
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

James, it's likley one of the roof transport switches either starting to fail or needing adjustment.

Do you have vag software to interrogate the controller and read switch statuses? If so, a quick scan of fault codes might also help in identifying cause.

Hey Spocket - dont have VAGCOM yet.

Where is the switch located and maybe could do with a quick clean??

I think there are around 6 or 7 switches that detect everything from roof latched, to cover box open, tensioner home positions and roof folded & stowed.

I'll see if I can pull the details tomorrow off elsawin, but to be honest, without ability to read any fault codes as well as the switch readings over course of opening and closing, I think you'll be on a hiding to nothing.

Had exactly the same problem on my Cab, and it was traced to a couple of 'potentiometers'. Trouble was that the whole roof had to be dismantled to fix it...cost was £1000+ but luckily the car was in warranty. Hope that you get it fixed and it's not as serious as mine was....

Had exactly the same problem on my Cab, and it was traced to a couple of 'potentiometers'. Trouble was that the whole roof had to be dismantled to fix it...cost was £1000+ but luckily the car was in warranty. Hope that you get it fixed and it's not as serious as mine was....
Cheers buddy.....make me feel a whole lot better why don't you....:ohmy: but useful to know anyway.:(

I will try and find someone locally with Vagcom and see what they say. Its driving me mad, and at this rate, the car may be heading back to the stealers.....:shutup2:

Sprocket - any help you can give would be awesome - cheers buddy.

Sorry for the shock!! Erm, I'm sure yours will be fine....probably cost hardly anything at all...might just be a gremlin that will go away...!!

I'm trying to redeem myself for giving you a heart attack - seriously.:kiss:

Jame's I've dumped some of the details into a PDF - drop me a PM with your email and I'll send it over.

Hey James, there is a hardtop for sale on Ebay in case all goes tits up !!!!!!!!! :):):)

Hey James, there is a hardtop for sale on Ebay in case all goes tits up !!!!!!!!! :):):)
There you are!! :salute:

Been waiting for an insightful and helpful comment to aide my woes.....and what do I get.....??? :keule:

Well, I offer a possible solution and look what thanks I get !! ;):moa:
I guess we could classify it as "A" soultion but not "THE" solution. :whistle2:

Your supposed to be my electroncs geezer buddy as well :uhm:

I'm not sure what you can check on VAGCOM about the roof, will have to delve into my book to see what I can find.................

I'm not sure what you can check on VAGCOM about the roof, will have to delve into my book to see what I can find.................
Your a legend - cheers buddy. :thumbsup:

Catch u laters.

Hey Andy, looked on ebay but couldn't find the hardtop . . . Got an item number for it???

Got any pics of the exhaust tips fitted with the finished valance . . . Did the S4 rear valance fit around the tips without modding???

Phil, hard top was mega $$$$$$$$$$ I've roughly cut the valence for now. Will email you a pic over the weekend

Andy

Just had the problem diagnosed as the lock mechanism at the front of the roof - £380 plus VAT and then two hours labour. :w00t:

I'm gutted. Anyone know anyone that can get discounted parts?? :ohmy:

I tried Euro car, and GSF parts - both said I would need main stealer.

Will give Vag Parts a call though so they can laugh as well.

What makes it worse is I have already spent £93 to get it diagnosed as he managed to temporarily fix it and then it died again.

Never mind. :banghead: