poor starting

samuelt

Reaction score
Hi all

when i start my 2002 A4 130 Tdi from cold it usually takes about 2-3 seconds of turning the key for it to start. When it is warm it start as soon as i turn the key. Could this be a fuel priming issue? has any one had this before? It has never not started.

thank you

heater plugs ? i know the plugs on tdi,s come on for a longer interval from cold.my previous tdi plug light on the dash used to come on and go straight of when warm but when it was cold it stayed on for 3 to 4 seconds

How old is the battery? If its starting to wear out it'll take more time to get the engine going from cold, when its warm its had its charge topped up from the alternator.

I've also noticed this on mine lately. It is better if I wait for the glow-plug light on the dash to extinguish before turning the engine over, then the car starts pretty quickly. If I jump in first thing in the morning and start the car without waiting for the glow-plugs to warm up, the engine turns over for a good fewq seconds before catching, and there is a puff of smoke from the exhausts too which seems to indicate unburnt diesel.

Try letting the glow-plugs fully warm up before cranking the engine.

THe battery is 1 year old and is Bosch Siver top so should be good! the glow plugs do not stay on any longer if it is -3 or +13.

Oh!
Mine stay on longer if it's cold. In warm weather, the light goes out within about 2 seconds. In really cold weather the light stays on for about 5 seconds, and if I crank the engine bfeore the light goes out, it struggles to fire up and there is a puff of smoke when it does finally fire up.