Monster MotorsportBadger5

Thread: poor starting

2nd Gear

Status

poor starting

Hi all

when i start my 2002 A4 130 Tdi from cold it usually takes about 2-3 seconds of turning the key for it to start. When it is warm it start as soon as i turn the key. Could this be a fuel priming issue? has any one had this before? It has never not started.

thank you

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    heater plugs ? i know the plugs on tdi,s come on for a longer interval from cold.my previous tdi plug light on the dash used to come on and go straight of when warm but when it was cold it stayed on for 3 to 4 seconds
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    How old is the battery? If its starting to wear out it'll take more time to get the engine going from cold, when its warm its had its charge topped up from the alternator.
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    I've also noticed this on mine lately. It is better if I wait for the glow-plug light on the dash to extinguish before turning the engine over, then the car starts pretty quickly. If I jump in first thing in the morning and start the car without waiting for the glow-plugs to warm up, the engine turns over for a good fewq seconds before catching, and there is a puff of smoke from the exhausts too which seems to indicate unburnt diesel.

Try letting the glow-plugs fully warm up before cranking the engine.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

2nd Gear

Status
    THe battery is 1 year old and is Bosch Siver top so should be good! the glow plugs do not stay on any longer if it is -3 or +13.

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    Oh!
    Mine stay on longer if it's cold. In warm weather, the light goes out within about 2 seconds. In really cold weather the light stays on for about 5 seconds, and if I crank the engine bfeore the light goes out, it struggles to fire up and there is a puff of smoke when it does finally fire up.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.