Volks AutosSky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

Replacement Rear Shocks required

Hi All...
    Just had my 2003 Audi A4 AQvant 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport serviced by my local Audi dealer ......and they have informed me that one of my rear shock absorbers is weeping oil.
    So, what do you guys think I should do - The Audi dealer has offered to replace both shocks with standard Audi shockers - whatever they are - and have said that they will do the job for 150.(about a 50% reduction).
    I am 2 days out of warranty so I may be able to get something more out of Audi....
    Question is do I stick with standard Audi Sport shockers, or do I look for something else - am NOT looking to lower the car or change springs......although I do have an RS4 Anti Roll Bar fitted.

Your advice would be appreciated.....by the way Vagparts cannot match the price of new shocks that audi dealer will charge.

Lastly is it an easy job to change the rear shocks anyways ?

Cheers..

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
    Lastly is it an easy job to change the rear shocks anyways ?
    Cheers..
    Very simple job, 2x 13mm bolts at the top, a 21mm nut & bolt at the bottom. Swap the top mount over and back together. You could do the whole job in less than an hour kerbside.

I would go with Audi's offer TBH, they've lasted well, will match the fronts and at least you'll get a 2 year warranty on the new ones
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

Status
    However, 150 at the dealer to supply and fit both shocks seems a good price. If you are not looking to change the suspension then go straight back to Audi !

And as Bubstar says - parts will be covered with a 2 year warranty
    B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter
    1994 UK MX5 in rare Laguna Blue
    2003 Yamaha R1 (5PW) Tech Silver - not standard !

1st Gear

Status
    As Bub says, the swap over is easier than easy, piece of cake.

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    That's a good price, if you were happy with the previous shocks, then go for it.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

4th Gear

Status
    I have asked Audi if they will swap under warranty (cos the car was booked in before the warranty run out).....but cos my child became ill at Childminders I had to cancel the service two weeks ago, and rebook it....problem was that the new service date (earliest the dealer could do) was 2 days after warranty run out ...hmmmmm...

Anyways its booked in at Audi for shockers change.....for some weird reason Audi rear Shock absorbers are cheaper at the main dealers than anywhere else I have found....

3rd Gear

Status
    Just proves the point - Always try the dealer first.

BUB
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)