Looking for mt 1st Audi

TonyR

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm considering buying a A4 avant.

Not decided on whether deisel or petrol yet, but I have a few questions about the diesel so I thought I'd ask a few questions if I can.

I'll jump straight in.

Looking at a B6 platform obviously. In 2002 apparently Audi introduced a 155hp TDi. How can I tell this apart when looking at cars from the 180hp version? (I'd want the 180 one) Something on the vin plate maybe? Quattro not Quattro maybe?

I don't want to spend more then about £5000 really.

I've always modified my cars in the past, turbo's intercoolers remaps etc.

What is there available regarding mods? I'm guessing not a lot? can the ecu be remapped? or chipped? Thinking along the lines of a ecutek remap where they remap the standard ecu. Has anyone gone the route of intercoolers etc?

A general A4 question: What is the boot space like compared with the 3 series BMW touring? The BMW's boot space does not look great.

Anything else like common problems I should look for?

Cheers,

There is lots of 'SE' spec avants that have come off of fleet lease, so alot just get basic spec, cloth, 16" Alloys etc and the 'high' suspension.
Popular colours in the avant seem to be grey, silver and black, with quite a few in the dark blue and bright red.

Any of the 'PDI' engines as used in the Golfs, Leons, A3s, A4s etc can all be mapped really well with a good boost in power and torque (just do a search on the forum).

Some TDi's can have the larger intercoolers, especially cars like the Ibiza and Fabias where Forge actually offer proper intercooler kits.

The only true way of telling what BHP and spec the car actually is, is to check the sticker in the boot floor / spare wheel well and look for the white sticker with all the option codes on it. There is a 'decoder' programme somewhere on the net to tell you what all the three digit codes 'XXX' mean.

I think that boot space is ok, probably slightly bigger than an E46 tourer, but probably not much in it.

I would think at £5000 you would be looking at high mileage cars and very early B6s. But shop around and see what you can find !

Hope this helps.

There is lots of 'SE' spec avants that have come off of fleet lease, so alot just get basic spec, cloth, 16" Alloys etc and the 'high' suspension.
Popular colours in the avant seem to be grey, silver and black, with quite a few in the dark blue and bright red.

Any of the 'PDI' engines as used in the Golfs, Leons, A3s, A4s etc can all be mapped really well with a good boost in power and torque (just do a search on the forum).

Some TDi's can have the larger intercoolers, especially cars like the Ibiza and Fabias where Forge actually offer proper intercooler kits.

The only true way of telling what BHP and spec the car actually is, is to check the sticker in the boot floor / spare wheel well and look for the white sticker with all the option codes on it. There is a 'decoder' programme somewhere on the net to tell you what all the three digit codes 'XXX' mean.

I think that boot space is ok, probably slightly bigger than an E46 tourer, but probably not much in it.

I would think at £5000 you would be looking at high mileage cars and very early B6s. But shop around and see what you can find !

Hope this helps.

Top response IMHO. I would add that the Sports seas are way better than the SE 'bum perches' and if you can get cow or cow/alcantara it is worth it!

You'll struggle to get leather on a TDi, but you can swap the interiors later for around £400 if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay.
The 155 & 180bhp models are the 2.5 litre V6
4 cylinder engines are either 100, 115 or 130bhp. The 130 should have a red "i" on the TDi badge, but this is no guarantee, so always check the boot sticker.
If you're looking for the best all round performance & economy then the 130 is the one to get and can be chipped to 180.
The boot sticker has the power output but just shown in kW:
100 = 73kW
130 = 95kW
155 = 114kW
180 = 132kW

Bear in mind that a car like the following is up for £7k, so I'm not sure what £5k is going to buy you !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-AUDI-A4-...oryZ9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/03-53-Audi-A4...oryZ9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So you might have to look deep / far for that bargain !!

Then again, here is an early B6 115TDI SE estate for less than £5k with 'only' 115k on the clock !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-AUDI-A4-...oryZ9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll need to push your budget to about £6k for a decent 04 B6 TDi 130 with about 100k on the clock. Alternatively you'll need to go older. Forget quattro for that money.

I don't want to spend more then about £5000 really.

Don't get an A4. For £5,000 you will not get much, you can forget about creature comforts or Quattro at that price too.

You could get a decent B5 Avant for that price I suppose.

the 180 version which you say you want is the 2.5 tdi quattro

Hmm, lots to think about then.

It all depends on my finances at the time and what my other car goes for once sold. Plus I'm currently funding a trip away.

The boot space is pretty important. I have a dog so need the room back there.

Just having a look around and the A6 has more room and the 180 version seems to go for not much more then 5k.

Mileage on these Audi's shouldn't be a problem right? Allways here how bullet proof they are.

Would High mileage be motorway miles?

quote]

Loads of room for a dog/s I have two collie cross greyhounds and they fit in fine.

I had an old R reg 110 red eye and that was good with 200k on the clock (the newer models are not as reliable) in my opinion second car was a 52 plate 100bhp base model we had it from new put 100k on it but needed more servicing.

quote]

Loads of room for a dog/s I have two collie cross greyhounds and they fit in fine.

I had an old R reg 110 red eye and that was good with 200k on the clock (the newer models are not as reliable) in my opinion second car was a 52 plate 100bhp base model we had it from new put 100k on it but needed more servicing.

Cheers mate,

My dogs quite a bit bigger then a collie cross though lol.