Glovebox damper fault

petrieboy

Reaction score
my glovebox has suddenly lost it's dampened action. now when you open it, it falls open suddenly rather than opening gently.
ive popped off the side panel revealing what i think is the damper (see pic) but theres nothing obviously wrong with it. am i looking at the right thing, or am i going to have to remove the whole glovebox?

glovebox.jpg

thats the blighter.

normally need a good oiling!!! Dunno how they work tho. Take it off and strip it to see whats wrong - if its broke anyway, why not?

Yep thats it, I sprayed mine with WD40 lastnight when I finally fixed my Broken Hinge (courtesy of the Andy Mac knowledge tried n tested - great fix by the way), Makes a lovely sucking noise now tho.
If you do take you glovebox out, be very careful, these things are flimsy if its open, slight knock could Faccckkk your hinges!

I bet they (damper) aint expensive if a new one is required though.

I paid just approx £117 from Audi for a glovebox with room for a CD changer, so thankfully they aren't too expensive if you ever need to replace one.

Only reason I bought another, was to have the space to mount the CD changer.

Rich

Trouble is you can't get just the damper from Audi - only a complete glovebox!!!

******'ell,stupid aint it!
I got quoted nearly £350 from my dealer :huh: when I asked about a glovebox!

Are you sure? The damper has it's own part number, I can look it up on etka tonight if you want, then just pop into audi parts and order the damper.

The damper part no. is: 8E2 880 324.
The hinge pin part no. is: 8E0 880 802. This is just a small pin which holds the damper onto the glovebox lid, you could probably re-use your old pin.

Hi Guys,

Should all B6s' have a damped glove box lid?

Mine has not since new. A4 3.0Q 02 Plate.

Cheers for now.

Hi All,

In partic PD.

Yes I have got one and yes it does not work!

There is some evidence of fluid leak - guess that is why.

Off to Audi, as soon a smortgage is arranged!!!

Malcolm