Tailgate Gas struts

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
One of the gas struts on the tailgate of my 04 plate S4 cab is leaking.

How hard are these to change? Anyone have any guides or instructions that i could follow?

:uhm:

GSF have them I think. Or direct from dealer. Try Neil @ Ipswich Audi.

Thanks Andy - i will call Poole Audi as they are my local stealer, :whistle2:

Right - went in my mates 2007 Rs4 saloon this evening. When he popped the boot with the key fob, the boot opened fully - kinds "look mummy no hands" stylee.......

I WANT. Heeeeeeeellllllllllllllpppppppppppp!!!:blink:

Right - went in my mates 2007 Rs4 saloon this evening. When he popped the boot with the key fob, the boot opened fully - kinds "look mummy no hands" stylee.......

I WANT. Heeeeeeeellllllllllllllpppppppppppp!!!:blink:

Now that would be a cool feature to have... I want it too :)

I will go round there tomorrow and get the part number off his struts and post them on here. I am a strut whore. :laugh:

Right - finally extracted a digit and got the part numbers from his RS4 saloon: 8E5 827552KO1 S

Not sure if it was a "0" or a zero though......:ermm:

Bit off topic, but hopefully not too much.

I have an Avant with the boot release button on the key and the 'touch sensitive' style release on the tailgate. When I press the button on the key it unlatches the catch but thats all. This isn't much help to be honest as you still need to lift the tailgate up by the handle to raise it - and in doing this you automatically open the tailgate anyway :uhm:

Would be far better if when you press the fob button it unlatched the tailgate and it opened up itself - I know some cars have auto opening tailgates M5 Touring maybe :anbet:

Would it be possible for 'stronger' gas struts to do this? Or is it asking too much for any gas strut to open up a heavy Avant tailgate. I'm not desperate for an auto tailgate just curious as to the point of the button on the key:lazy:

I am sure you could get something for your Avant - i know on the Rs4 saloon mentioned above, your press the button, and the boot lid opens which is what I want on my cabriolet.

The auto opening boot is an option on the A4, I'd be keen to see if it's the struts that transform it from the useless 2mm pop-up to a full open. My dad had a E class back in 1989 that had a spring open boot, but it does have it's drawbacks, it whacked my sister on the chin the first time he used it.

Auto opening boot for the saloon and Avant models have to be factory fit options. I don`t think (willing to be proved wrong) that a gas strut has enough Ooomph to open, I believe that a small electric motor is used to open a small way before the gas struts take over.

Be very careful when fitting new struts as they work under massive loadings about 10 bar.

That's a pity, an auto opening boot would have been ideal with the baby on the way. I don't fancy juggling the baby, keys, car seat and pram while trying to open the boot in the rain. I've told that dropping the baby is not a good idea. Oh well.

It would be good if just the different gas struts do the job, as I really like the idea of this as it would make things a lot easier sometimes. If they aren't too expensive, I might just buy them and give it a go and hope for the best.

It would be good if just the different gas struts do the job, as I really like the idea of this as it would make things a lot easier sometimes. If they aren't too expensive, I might just buy them and give it a go and hope for the best.
Let us know if you have a go at this :thumbsup:

Auto-boot opening can be-retrofitted. It does not use an electric motor to lift the bootlid, It uses a spring attached to each boot hinge. Along with different part number gas struts.

Fitting the different gas struts is not enought to get this working, you will need the new boot hinge and spring assembly at each side. I recall the strus are something like £30 each and the spring/hinge asssembly is around £50 each side.

Changing just the struts is a piece of cake, open the bootlid, pop the clips of each end with a screwdriver and remove the strut. 2 minutes work at the most!! From experience I can confirm that fitting the auto-boot struts is not enough to enable this feature!

Thanks Issac, it's good to know what's needed to get it all working.