Petrol A4 Avant or Diesel A4 Avant???

Cravenbantam

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a A4 Avant 1.8 T S Line (190) and was wondering if i should revert back to a Diesel, as i alway's seem to be at the Petrol pumps!!

I know the price of Diesel is alot more expensive, but was just wondering what mileage any 1.9 Diesel owners are getting out of a full tank.

Cheers

Best I have had in mine is 640 miles to a tank. That was on just motorways.

Normal day to day stuff would probably get 550 +

It may cost £70.00 plus to fill and be more expensive but if you think about the price difference between Diesel and Petrol - Diesel is about £1.13 per litre, Petrol is £1.09 thats 4p per litre.

B6 has got 70 litre tank so 70 x 4p = £2.80 Difference to Fill up.

So for £2.80 more you are getting 150 - 200 miles extra?

Can't argue with that !

I generally get c550 miles on mine too...

Cheers for the response, just waiting for the right one to come along now.

If I could chip in here, I also would give diesel the thumbs up. I'm achieving 525 per tank, where in my previous 2.0 FSI I was only getting 420 – I suspect your 1.8T would have been even thirstier!

Another point worth mentioning is that on my regular 35-40 minute commute (no motorways, mix of A-road and traffic jams) I got 40mpg with 'supermarket' fuel, and 44mpg with Shell (standard, not V-power) – that's an extra 10% just by buying branded diesel, which cost exactly the same!!

Hummm I just got 225 miles from a full tank in my 3.0 V6 :eek:

Just out of interest what sort of MPG is the 1.8T doing? I just got 430 miles out of £50 working out at about 42 mpg.

Main user is the wife, going to and from work, so mainly round town.
It average's around 30 mpg on the computer, but if i go on a run in it (motorway's etc) it sometime's get it to show 35 mpg!!

I drove from London to Newcastle and back not so long ago and still had diesel left

Dont know how you get that mileage just got 270 to a tank driving normally.

Depends if you're going on what the DIS says or the actual brim to brim calculation.
I've found the DIS to be fairly accurate on both our Audi's but would question 35mpg from a 1.8T 190. Never got that even on our old 1.8T 150bhp A3 which is a lighter car with a less thirsty engine.

Just filled it up again today, it's taken £62 and the mileage trip had 379 miles since last fill up.

What kind of driving is that? 379 is alot of miles

Mine is doing a real 24.7mpg

that sounds more like it! Really depends on the style of driving. If you coast everywhere with the turbo barely being used then it makes a huge difference. Having said that my 2.8Q delivers 22mpg regardless of driving style which I've never been able to get my head round.

That was my first tank full and normal to slow driving realy, but however a few short distances

diesels are great for mpg but my god I miss the smoothness of a petrol :(

I'm afraid I only get 320 miles out of a tank in my 3.0 V6 petrol! Once scraped 400 miles out of it though...but i mean scraped - ie 58mph on the motrway everywhere!!! Not much fun. But everytime I get a 1.9TDI courtesy car I remember why I put up with massive fuel costs...not to say that I'm not insane for doing so though! One day I will have to join the real world and get a diesel (but it'll probably still be a V6...):think:

im on about 340 per tank. my last car was an a4 tdi which got 500 regular away.