Quattro, is it necassary?

A8UK

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a A4 1.8T and im searching around at the moment.

Ive noticed that the quattro models seem alot rarer than the 2wd counterparts and they seem to for sale at a high much higher price. Ive seen quattro models around £1500-2000 more.

But is quattro really necassary? I wont be launching the car from a standstill as i cant seen the clutch lastinga. And i dont live in country roads so i cant see the 4wd drive system being any helpful in city driving.

I will be remapping to around 230bhp and possibly turbo conversion at a later date to around 300bhp.

What other advantages does the 4wd quattro give?

I personally would'nt bother, even remapped to 230bhp it doesnt warrant 4X4, it will handle better but thats about it, there are far more downsides than upsides, ie servicing, lower fuel economy, less performance and then this is without mentioning that they are more expensive to buy in the first instance.! Also if you have a 2wd version the rear diff cant go tits up if you aint got one!! And like you said round town driving, you wont need a quattro.:icon_thumright:

You really need the quattro with alot more torque/power. Even a remapped 1.8T doesn't need it.

A re-mapped 1.9/2.0/2.5/3.0 tdi has more call for it due to the high torque levels. My 1.9tdi remapped spins the wheels in 2nd easily... The quattro would eliminate this.

Ummm 300bhp on a 2WD - nice, go for it!
The 1.8TQ has 180bhp as standard to compensate for quattro system, so no loss of performance. If you're modifying then you seriously need to look at quattro versions to have any hope of putting that power down.

Ok. The big turbo conversion is not for definate. Its only a thought at the moment, it may not even happen.

main concern is that will it be able to handle 240bhp? If im cruising in 2nd and i put my foot down, will it put the power down well or will it struggle?

Quattro all the way, FWD too much traction for the power you are wanting. Ive drove a Leon Cupra R map'd to 265bhp and it was terrible, The rear end felt too light round the bends (obviously I was giving it some) and though the Launch was amazing, the lift was terrible. Nice torque though. Suppose thats where suspension comes into it.

My Bro in law has just had his golf 1.8t map'd and that feels rapid, **** all over my quattro yet we're running the same (ish) power! Never drove a FWD map'd A4 so cant comment.
If you not bothered then go for cheaper all round option = the FWD!

I agree that there are several advantages regarding the quattro but its difficult to warrent an extra £1500-£2000 for it,

I would pay more for it but not that much.

Fast cornering speeds dont really concern me just straight line traction.

I went for the Quattro as Im pretty used to the 4WD now, I like to throw my car around when it safe to do so and love the handling of the Quattro, nothing like my old Scooby's as they aint as heavy but still love the 4wheel grip.

I paid £5500 for mine Nov 06

If you aint fussed then yeah go for the FWD, will feel alot more torque in pull off straight line!

Im still going to look for quattro's as i might be able to find a good one. If i dont, i wont be too dissapointed with 2wd.

£5500 sounds cheap, whats the spec/mileage on your car at the time?

A8UK said:
I agree that there are several advantages regarding the quattro but its difficult to warrent an extra £1500-£2000 for it,

I would pay more for it but not that much.

Fast cornering speeds dont really concern me just straight line traction.

I don't think that's quite right - where quattro benefits you is exactly that of improved traction in all conditions, either in a straight line, but most especially when putting power out of a bend/ on wet roads/ slippery roads/ oil-covered roads/ rubbish English road surfaces...

I have never found quattro systems to have higher service costs - I've driven quattros for the last 6 years, nothing has ever gone wrong with the drive train. They are slightly heavier (about 50kg) but compared to the overall weight of an A4 (1500kg), it's not all that much. You will get better tyre wear out of a quattro as power is fed across all 4 wheels, each tyre is driven less hard.

If you're planning big power in the future do you really want all 250bhp+ going through the front wheels? I know I woudn't!

Quattro cars are more rare and they are more expensive, but they also hold their residual value better vs. the equivalent 2WD model for precisely those reasons. Personally, I would never want to buy a FWD car again, but each to his own though!

dan_b said:
I don't think that's quite right - where quattro benefits you is exactly that of improved traction in all conditions, either in a straight line, but most especially when putting power out of a bend/ on wet roads/ slippery roads/ oil-covered roads/ rubbish English road surfaces...

I have never found quattro systems to have higher service costs - I've driven quattros for the last 6 years, nothing has ever gone wrong with the drive train. They are slightly heavier (about 50kg) but compared to the overall weight of an A4 (1500kg), it's not all that much. You will get better tyre wear out of a quattro as power is fed across all 4 wheels, each tyre is driven less hard.

If you're planning big power in the future do you really want all 250bhp+ going through the front wheels? I know I woudn't!

Quattro cars are more rare and they are more expensive, but they also hold their residual value better vs. the equivalent 2WD model for precisely those reasons. Personally, I would never want to buy a FWD car again, but each to his own though!

Couldnt have said it better!!:yes:

Ok, so you say you're doing mundane city driving so you might not need quattro? But then why do you need 300bhp? Why do you need 230bhp if you're doing mundane city driving? I bet you'll get the remap, and you won't bother with the expense of upgrading your brakes to cope with the extra power! 300bhp says to me that you want to have a good thrash, which isn't advised in city surroundings! So that means you'll be doing your thrashing in very quiet "safer" areas, which means on the track (private countryside), right? Which means twisty roads, which means bigger brakes and with 300bhp, quattro!
How many fwd cars do you know with 300bhp compared to 4wd or rwd? I wouldn't go over 220bhp with fwd.

I think you need to do a lot more reading on the Seat / Skoda / Mk4 golf forums to get a much more rounded view on what FWD 1.8T cars can and can't do. There is loads of guys running fairly big powers with no real problems. If you don't want an A4 then there are some 1.8T 'quattro' Octavias and also some fairly cheap A3 1.8T 'Q's now too.

However in the US all the A4 guys want Quattro and most don't want to own a FWD version! (but then they ain't paying £1.05 for fuel!!)

As for my car - a 1.8T cabriolet, I wasn't fussed if it was quattro or not and there was loads more choice in FWD - and this will probably be the same with all the saloons and avants especially in 1.8T form.

A8UK said:
Im looking to buy a A4 1.8T and im searching around at the moment.

Ive noticed that the quattro models seem alot rarer than the 2wd counterparts and they seem to for sale at a high much higher price. Ive seen quattro models around £1500-2000 more.

But is quattro really necassary? I wont be launching the car from a standstill as i cant seen the clutch lastinga. And i dont live in country roads so i cant see the 4wd drive system being any helpful in city driving.

I will be remapping to around 230bhp and possibly turbo conversion at a later date to around 300bhp.

What other advantages does the 4wd quattro give?

HELL YEAH!! Why do you think they are dearer .....i'd never go back to 2wd!

have you test drove a quattro??
personally, i wouldn't go back. i haven't noticed the outgoing bills to be any bigger just because all 4 wheels are driven. infact, when i had a 2.0l TDi from the stealer, the torque was amazing just from the front wheels, but i knew if i had a car with loads of power then the front tyres would be getting changed as often as i filled the tank up.

the grip from the quattro is great, the power i have is 220bhp and i wouldn't say that i raced the car but i do get a sense of confidence knowing that the extra grip is there. price wise, mine was second hand at £8700. for my money i got buffalino leather heated seats, sat nav, lowered suspension, 18" wheels and all the usual wee extras.

i hope this helps you make your decision.

jason