A4 Quattro

A8UK

Reaction score
How good is the 4wd quattro system in the A4? How much power does it send to the front and back wheels?

Also how does it work, is it advanced like BMW's X-drive or an Evo?

Its a torsen centre diff system which i think is a 50:50 split,ok for traction but a bit boring.
No where near as advanced as the evo's.
Dont know much about the x-drive.

Thanks, can the torque be split between the axles or is 50:50 split all the time?

A8UK said:
Thanks, can the torque be split between the axles or is 50:50 split all the time?
I think its permanant 50:50,might be wrong though.

I think it's 50:50 in normal conditions i.e. no wheel slip but can be up to 100% at either end if required.

The RS4 and B8 A4 has a 40:60 split in normal conditions.

I thought Evo's come out of christmas crackers.......& most of the drivers of said cars come from the BMW school of driving......

How does this system comapare to the haldex 4wd system in A3's, TT's and Golf's?

Haldex is mainly front wheel drive until the front wheels loose traction then upto 50% is sent to the rear.
Not a fan of the haldex,would be better if it was rear wheel drive until the wheels slip then send some to the front.

Does the A4 torsen system just alters the power between the axles or can alter power between each wheel?

Torsen is fixed 50:50 as I understand it, the ESP will cut power from wheels as necessary but the 4WD is permanent

Chaz