EM TuningAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Clackmannanshire
    Posts
    40

    Do I have heated mirrors?

    Quick question – how do I know whether or not I have heated mirrors?

    My TDI Sport 130 ('02) is going in to the dealer for a wee oil leak at the high pressure turbo hoses/connectors (?!*) and I've mentioned that the mirrors don't demist – they were one of the few things that worked properly on my previous 2.0 FSI SE (!). The dealer asked whether or not I had heated mirrors, but it suggests in the manual that they are standard across the range (no asterisk indicating they were an option).

    Can any other TDI Sport owners confirm whether or not they have/don't have heated mirrors......?

    On another note, can DIS be retrofitted? It was nice to know when I had ran out of washer fluid.......

    Cheers.
    The camera never lies - for that you need Photoshop

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1210tech's Avatar
    Four Ring Fanatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmacmusic
    Quick question – how do I know whether or not I have heated mirrors?

    My TDI Sport 130 ('02) is going in to the dealer for a wee oil leak at the high pressure turbo hoses/connectors (?!*) and I've mentioned that the mirrors don't demist – they were one of the few things that worked properly on my previous 2.0 FSI SE (!). The dealer asked whether or not I had heated mirrors, but it suggests in the manual that they are standard across the range (no asterisk indicating they were an option).

    Can any other TDI Sport owners confirm whether or not they have/don't have heated mirrors......?

    On another note, can DIS be retrofitted? It was nice to know when I had ran out of washer fluid.......

    Cheers.
    mine has but i have one mirror that does demist/defrost and one that doesn't. after speaking to the previous owner it turned out that the one that doesn't had been replaced cuz it got smashed and he bought a replacement glass that didn't have the heater element built in and i just haven't got round to sorting it out.

    you can get the glass with the heater element from gsf or vagparts. the wiring to make them work should already be in the mirror housing and its just a case of plugging in the new glass and fitting.

    i have seen on other forums that the DIS can be retro-fitted but it is very expensive.
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

  4. #3
    Andy D's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Inverkip, Scotland
    Posts
    276
    Both of mine are heated and work properly, on a cold day you can see the steam coming off of them.

    I had my mirrors off to change the mirror cases and each mirror had two wires connected to the back of it for the heating element.

    It's easu emough to take the mirror glass off to check but be careful as it's easily broken

    BTW its' a 2004 TDI 130BHP Sport, hope thius helps
    B7 A4 2.0T S Line special edition Quattro Avant.
    Bose soundsAngel remap.
    Alu mirrors, blue vision sidelights

  5. #4
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    380
    i also have a 02 tdi 130 sport and no i do not have heated mirors, i have had the glass out and looked all the electrics are there but not the correct glass. they will work as they go on with the heated rear screen. i belive you can buy them at Ł50 a pair

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Swindon Wilts
    Posts
    170
    mines a tdi sport without too - rubbish aint it? My first car (a cortina) even had those!

  7. #6
    Nickynibbles's Avatar
    Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech
    i have seen on other forums that the DIS can be retro-fitted but it is very expensive.
    Nonsense is it expensive to fit! All you need is a replacement wiper stalk with the controls for about Ł30 and probably a replacement steering wheel control module for about Ł85 and vagcom to code it. I say probably as most cars would need a new module but some were lucky enough to be fitted with the correct module anyway but the features not enabled. I've been researching into fitting cruise control to my car and come across how to do this in the process. If your after a washer fluid low signal this actually isnt a function of the DIS but yet another optional extra!!! This is easy to add on top of DIS though as all you need is the sensor for the washer bottle which is under Ł10!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

    Current road going missile.....

    ........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Clackmannanshire
    Posts
    40
    Thanks folks – I guess I'll find out when it goes into the dealer whether or not I do have them! Sounds like not all (older) TDI Sports have 'em after all. However, if it's only going to be £50 for new glass, then I reckon I'll go for that. Steamy mirrors would have been really handy on the recent chilly Scottish mornings.......

    Also sounds like if I decide to retro-fit cruise (which I was considering), that it would make sense to upgrade the DIS at the same time.
    The camera never lies - for that you need Photoshop

  9. #8
    1210tech's Avatar
    Four Ring Fanatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickynibbles
    Nonsense is it expensive to fit! All you need is a replacement wiper stalk with the controls for about Ł30 and probably a replacement steering wheel control module for about Ł85 and vagcom to code it. I say probably as most cars would need a new module but some were lucky enough to be fitted with the correct module anyway but the features not enabled. I've been researching into fitting cruise control to my car and come across how to do this in the process. If your after a washer fluid low signal this actually isnt a function of the DIS but yet another optional extra!!! This is easy to add on top of DIS though as all you need is the sensor for the washer bottle which is under Ł10!
    sorry, i was thinking of the coloured DIS which would need a whole new dashboard cluster
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

  10. #9
    Nickynibbles's Avatar
    Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech
    sorry, i was thinking of the coloured DIS which would need a whole new dashboard cluster
    Oh yes, the coloured DIS would cost a lot to do!!

    @mrmacmusic, definately worth having the DIS done at the same time as the cruise control. If you dant have vagcom and not doing the fitting yourself you'll save yourself labour and hassle of having your steering wheel removed twice and some coding doing to activate it all! You've got to take the wiper stalk off to fit the cruise control stalk & the new steering wheel control module so you might as well have the DIS stalk fitted & activated at the same time!!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

    Current road going missile.....

    ........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NORTH YORKS
    Posts
    5
    Look in boot or service book at option codes, powered & heated mirrors code is 6xd

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Clackmannanshire
    Posts
    40
    Thanks Cass56 – looks like I only have powered mirrors, as my option code is 6XC. Can't believe my car has a chiller in the glovebox, but no heated mirrors!

    Is it really simply just a case of replacing the glass??
    The camera never lies - for that you need Photoshop

  13. #12
    Andy D's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Inverkip, Scotland
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmacmusic
    Thanks Cass56 – looks like I only have powered mirrors, as my option code is 6XC. Can't believe my car has a chiller in the glovebox, but no heated mirrors!

    Is it really simply just a case of replacing the glass??
    I suppose it would be if the wiring is in place, I'm not entirely convinced that the wiring will be in place.

    Have a look , honestly it takes less than a minute to take one of the mirrors off and have a look.
    B7 A4 2.0T S Line special edition Quattro Avant.
    Bose soundsAngel remap.
    Alu mirrors, blue vision sidelights

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NORTH YORKS
    Posts
    5
    6xc does indeed come up as powered only, not sure about wiring but as Andy D says it's not a bad job to check

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO