1.8T engine

A8UK

Reaction score
I currently have a mk4 golf GT TDI remapped 160bhp and 280lb-ft torque.

I am looking to get a 1.8T 190bhp A4, if i do would i miss my Golf? Even though the Audi has more BHP it has much less torque. Even a remapped A4 only has around 220lb-ft torque.

Or is the power band in the Audi alot better that it wont miss it?

A remapped 190 A4 should have about 230-235lbft of torque.

My car peaks at 270ish and is flat from 2500-5000 @ 250lbft.

1106670-233-271RUN2.JPG

The power is linear unlike the whooosh-it's over delivery of a TDi.

I doubt they'll be much between the two on tight back road blasting but the A4 will leave the Golf once given the chance to stretch its legs.

BUB :beerchug:

Wow, whats mods are you running to achive that high amount of torque? Is it just a remap?

# K&N Panel filter
# Hyperboost HX diverter valve
# Oettinger Alloy Intake pipe
# Milltek cat' back system
# Star Performance special remap ;)

Better economy now too :thumbsup:

I gave it an oil change, fitted a set of spark plugs and serviced the DV last weekend and swear it's got another 5bhp and 10lbft!!! :)

BUB :racer:

If i can achive those figures, i will defiently not miss my Golf TDI. :)

Whats a Hyperboost HX diverter valve? is the Oettinger pipe from airbox to turbo?

Lastly did the exhaust give it any more and whats special about the remap?

thanks mate

Impressive results Bub - by the way where did you get K&N air filter from.. I suppose that on its own should make some difference i.e. better airflow

I can't remember now, some small mail order place a good while back. I doubt the filter would make any real difference but as Tesco say.................

:)

A8UK said:
If i can achive those figures, i will defiently not miss my Golf TDI. :)

Whats a Hyperboost HX diverter valve? is the Oettinger pipe from airbox to turbo?

Lastly did the exhaust give it any more and whats special about the remap?

thanks mate

Hyperboost

S_Line_BEX_190ps_diverter_1.sized.jpg

Yes, pipe is airbox to turbo..............

Oettinger_Intake_Pipe_A4_011.jpg

Oettinger_Alloy_Intake.jpg

You can get silicone ones now from Samco etc. Worth 5 odd bhp, smooth power and stop surging from intake hose collapse.

I wasn't expecting much from the exhaust, I just wanted to add a bit of character really. But it really did help make the engine smoother low down and give a lovely midrange surge - recommended :thumbsup:

The map is running just a bit more boost than Stars normal 190 remap. Just ask Jim for it ;) It's been nearly 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat.

:)

Thanks for all the help mate,

I think ill go with the samco hose instead as its alot cheaper than the oettinger version.

I was thinking of getting a k04 turbo before i get it mapped. They can be bought quite cheap off ebay. Do you think i would benefit enough from it or will the k03s be ok?

Don't bother with the K04.

The turbo fitted to the 190ps is as good as a K04-015.

Just take a look at what the Yanks are getting from K04's on Audizine etc. I'm getting the same sort of numbers (sometimes better).

The next step for me would be a front mount intercooler and real big turbo............

BUB :dream:

Im hoping to change to a big turbo in the future too. I was looking at the GTRS turbo.

i was told that with some bigger injectors along with the turbo i can expect 300bhp. What do you think?

Also what sort of performance figures does your car give??

A8UK said:
Im hoping to change to a big turbo in the future too. I was looking at the GTRS turbo.

i was told that with some bigger injectors along with the turbo i can expect 300bhp. What do you think?

Im in the process off looking into my Turbo Upgrade to, Been on to Backdraft, Awesome, some place in Scotland, another place in London...its driving me nuts, there is sooo much varient in Prices for more or less the same power but the cheaper quotes are coming from the less well known companies!!

Im looking at around £5500 for 325-335Bhp :

GT2860RS -5005S ball bearing turbo 0.64 AR
Hi Flow cast manifold
3” SS downpipe and sports cat
3” SS Inlet pipe
SS Charge pipe
Forge custom Front Mounted Intercooler
Silicone connecting hoses (Blue, Red or Yellow)
Braided oil and water hoses
SS oil drain bottom pipe.
Gaskets
Hose clamps
Actuator bracket and SS extension rod
Studs, Bolts, Nuts and washers
Genesis 550cc Injectors
Bosch 4 bar fuel pressure regulator

...but could chop that price down by over 1.3k if I can trust the fitter I have in mind!

I was told by ATP that just a GTRS turbo will give around 280bhp.

a 190 has twin intercoolers and bigger injectors so a front mount or bigger injectors are not needed unless you are going for over 300 bhp.

Stock manifold is suppose to be quite good and i will be running the standard exhaust for a while.

...thats the package for my Spec as I dont run a 190bhp model, mines the 163 edition - 150 if you wanna say!

Im running 205ish at the min and have the one intercooler hence the reason for the front mounted.

Your tuning would be alot cheaper than the package I require.

Oh, do you know if the 190 engine has different internals to a 163? Is the 190 any stronger? Why are you going for a GT2860RS compared to a GTRS or GT2X?

Also what sort performance figures can you expect froma big turbo?