HIDs - A bit worried now.

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I retro-fitted a set of H7 HID zenons last month. Absolutely delighted with the performance of them, but every now and then, when I switched them on, I'd get a bulb warning come up, tell me the right dipped beam was out. If I switched it off, and back on again, it sorted itself out. The supplier told me he could supply a pair of resistors that would fix it. I decided to leave it for the time being, as it only happened occasionally.

But the last week or so, it's happened nearly every time I've switched the lights on; then, on Saturday, I got a brake lightbulb warning followed by an ABS failure warning. This stayed on until I switched the engine off, and when I restarted the car, it had gone away again.

Then today, I read a thread on one of the A3 forums, where someone fitted a set of HIDs, and now his wipers have packed up. According to one of the follow-up posters, the HIDs are to blame, the wiper motor will need replacing, and even fitting resistors won't necessarily stop it happening again.

So now I'm wondering whether it's even worth shelling out on a set of resistors, or whether to just cut my losses, swap the HIDs out and go back to halogens. That ABS warning light really shook me, I can tell you. If the lights can knock out my brakes, I really don't want them in there.

hmmm, strange. how could HIDS make wipers stop working? anyway thats besides the point. jeff were did u get the HIDS from mate? i got mine from here aswell as a few of the other lads on the forum and ive had no problem dont think any1 else has either?
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html
if ur worried theres only one thing to do, put your halogens back in until such times that u decide to go down the resistor route etc

hmm shouldnt need resistors, i know mine dont. maybe ask them if they could send u out new ballasts as your ones are faulty. im no expert on HIDS but what else could be causing the fault except the ballasts?

Mine went in as clean as a whistle with no probs and a month mater still no probs. You must have a dodgy set there mate, I would give the supplier a call and get them changed. Feel free to mention a few of us had got our from him and were problem free.. just doesnt make sense. Good luck

from what i remember off the suppliers there excellent customer service wise. wouldnt hurt to throw a link onto this thread, let them know that there highly thought off, might butter them up a tad?

Mine has done the same thing occasionally. I have even had one light go out and tracked that down to a loose connection on resistor. so now i have one with resistor and one without. Unsure about longevity but I am definitely not going back to ***** oem halogens

OK, here's the update. I've ordered a bulb-warning-fix kit. Martin at HIDs-Direct said he has two different types, and will be sending me a pair of each. I can then experiment and choose which one works best, then send the other one back to him when I'm happy.

cant ask for better service than that! ull be sorted soon jeff just a minor glitch!:icon_thumright:

chris_20 said:
cant ask for better service than that! ull be sorted soon jeff just a minor glitch!:icon_thumright:

I couldn't agree more. The guy is an absolute diamond.