Any advice appreciated

wallacr

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a couple of probs with my 2001 A4 1.9 TDI SE and I'd be grateful for any advice that may help me to resolve them.

Not long after I bought the car it had a bit of a judder when at low revs in 4th & 5th gears. On warranty they've tried to fixed it, but unfortunately with no success. They've changed the flywheel, new clutch & thrust bearing, new injectors, new egr valve but nothing seems to have done the job.

The other problem is that when it's warm (don't seem to notice it when it's cold) it sometimes has a lumpy/erratic idle. However, if I put my foot on the accelarator pedeal to raise the revs up to just under 1000 rpm, it goes away. Sometimes it's quite bad that it shakes the car whilst waiting in traffic etc.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Rich

on the low rev thing,on one of my old cars i had this problem and my mate cleaned out the idle speed control valve and this seemed to sort it.
worth a go!

Thanks guys, it's worth a go, nothing to lose. I remember having to clean out the idle control valve on an old Saab 9000 Turbo I used to have, but I couldn't find anything simular on the A4, so thought it might be done with sensors and electronics instead.

Does anyone know where the idle control valve is on the 1.9 tdi engine?

J7uss, when you say a good old throttle clear. Do you mean that literally, or by putting my foot down a bit to clear it out? I've tried the later a bit, as I had heard that diesels need it doing every now and then (not sure if it's true or not).

Cheers,

Rich

When you say low revs in 4th and 5th, how low do you mean? It could be one of many things sadly, could be a worn gearbox/engine mounting?

As for the idle problem get a full VAG-COM scan and see if that throws any codes for the MAF and things like that.

Issac Hunt said:
When you say low revs in 4th and 5th, how low do you mean? It could be one of many things sadly, could be a worn gearbox/engine mounting?

As for the idle problem get a full VAG-COM scan and see if that throws any codes for the MAF and things like that.

Thanks for replying Issac, I hope it's not the gearbox.

It's generally around 2000 rpm when I notice it. For example, if I was doing around 50 mph and put my foot down to speed up that's when it would happen.

I've bought a genuine Ross-Tech cable and have checked using Vag-Com, but unfortunately nothing is showing up in there :(

I never thought about the engine mounts, but that would certainly explain it if that is the cause. I'll go and take a look in a bit and see if there's anything obviously wrong with them.

Rich

The idle problem is common with TDis. Mine only started after a cambelt change and common think is it could be injector timing. I've my VAGCOM all over it and there are no faults. Don't go replacing MAF as that will not fix, nor have I seen engnine mounts fix the problem.

Mine only does it after a long run or when engine is hot, more so in Summer. I've come to live with it. I did increase the idle speed for a while but didn't like it idling higher than it should. It's quite infrequent at the moment so I'm not too concerned.

Issac Hunt said:
Just checked the engine mounts and they seems to be ok, well from just looking and trying to rock the engine a little. Sure hope it's not the gearbox.

Marko said:
The idle problem is common with TDis. Mine only started after a cambelt change and common think is it could be injector timing. I've my VAGCOM all over it and there are no faults. Don't go replacing MAF as that will not fix, nor have I seen engnine mounts fix the problem.

Mine only does it after a long run or when engine is hot, more so in Summer. I've come to live with it. I did increase the idle speed for a while but didn't like it idling higher than it should. It's quite infrequent at the moment so I'm not too concerned.
How did you increase the idle speed with Vag-Com? Not sure I'd go down that route yet, but it would be good to know how, just in case I have no joy else where.

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions, it's going back into the garage tonight and I suspect they'll have it for another week or so. I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers,

Rich

Good news, or at least it seems so. The garage just rang me an apparently my car is all fixed, so I'm picking her up on my way home :)

Even though they supposedly replaced all the injectors before, they've replaced another now and it's ok. Not sure if one was faulty or they just lied about doing it in the first place. Soon see I guess.

If all is good, then I think I'll treat her to some new alloys. I quite like the new RS4 ones, but it's £2k for a genuine set and I've heard that the replica's aren't up to much, so I'll probably end up getting some other alloys instead.

Thanks again everyone for all your help & advice.

Rich

wallacr said:
I quite like the new RS4 ones, but it's £2k for a genuine set and I've heard that the replica's aren't up to much, so I'll probably end up getting some other alloys instead.

Genuine 19" B7 RS4 alloys won't fit due to the offsets, so you'll be stuck with replicas or Audi's own 18" version as fitted to the last of the B7 A4 S-line special editions.

mjsewell said:
Genuine 19" B7 RS4 alloys won't fit due to the offsets, so you'll be stuck with replicas or Audi's own 18" version as fitted to the last of the B7 A4 S-line special editions.

******, I realise that, oh well, looks like a set of replicas it is then.

The car seems to be working well and as it should be, so I think I'll order a set tomorrow :)

If anyone's got any suggestions on where to order them from, that would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich