FSI or TDI that is the question

leedoherty

Reaction score
Help going to look for my first a4 this weekend got a 2.0 fsi to look at and a tdi 130 both done over 100k can someone tell me which is the better engine ???

I prefer the tdi. Better fuel economy. Better torque = better shove...

TDI will have more grunt about it and better economy.

TDI gets my vote

Drive the FSI before you consider it, I found it to be painfully slow when i had one as a courtesy car. TDI everytime for me.

The fsi needs a T infront of it!..... Tfsi sounds better already.

Issac Hunt said:
Drive the FSI before you consider it, I found it to be painfully slow when i had one as a courtesy car. TDI everytime for me.
:iagree:

Can you get FSI on a B6?

Didn't FSI only get introduced after the B7???

The early FSI's I drove sounded much like a diesel with a loud and rough engine note inside the car, I didn't like them at all. The later ones are much better but still sound "gruff" IMHO.

thanks for the help guys tdi it is going to look at one in the morning will post some pics if i buy it !

All true comments, heres a little mistake i made to consider, i bought my 130pd sport and i love it to bits, however when i bought it i could have had a 193bhp 1.8T Special edition for around 2k less, i only do about 8k miles per year, IMHO the money would have been better spent on the petrol as the difference in cost of buying the diesel (2K+) will take me about 9 years to recoup with the difference in MPG. However i love my pd130 and would recommend one to anyone. Defo over that croc of crap 2.0FSI normally aspirated engine.:hi:

Id go with the TDI everytime, but, you do need to drive a FSI to make your own decision

Good luck :)

james0808 said:
Yes the 2.0 and it is crap.
We are in the Cabriolet Forum aren't we. Whilst I agree the base 2.0FSi is poor in the saloon, The cAb comes with the 2.0TFsi 200PS engine which is sweet as a nut. On the contrary the Tdi 4 pot is only 138bhp and ratles like hell not so good in a Cabriolet!!!:asskicking:

Sussex Lad said:
We are in the Cabriolet Forum aren't we.
This forum is for ALL B6's - saloon, avant and cabriolet versions of A4 & S4.

Sussex Lad said:
We are in the Cabriolet Forum aren't we. Whilst I agree the base 2.0FSi is poor in the saloon, The cAb comes with the 2.0TFsi 200PS engine which is sweet as a nut. On the contrary the Tdi 4 pot is only 138bhp and ratles like hell not so good in a Cabriolet!!!:asskicking:
You might want to learn how to read, leedoherty was asking about an A4 2.0 fsi not an A4 Cabriolet 2.0 Tfsi.

james0808 said:
You might want to learn how to read, leedoherty was asking about an A4 2.0 fsi not an A4 Cabriolet 2.0 Tfsi.

Agreed, the gulf between the FSI and the TFSI is enormous!

I'd say TDI for defo, only coz i have one in the family....Excellent engine:rockwoot:

I would probably agree with the TDI.
100K may sound a lot, but with a diesel its just been run in.:icon_thumright:

We have the non-FSI 2.0 petrol as well as a TDi; the TDi is torquier and more economical but the petrol is quieter and performs just as well though you have to rev it to get the best from it. It's not crap per se, it's just that it is in the shadows of the what is an excellent range of engines.

Glad to hear people sticking up for the FSI. I have 2.0 sport FSI, I easily achieve 550 miles from a full tank motorway driving at around 80. Not sure what the diesels do, but bearing in mind that petrol is about 6p a litre cheaper and don't have to keep topping up with expensive oil that the diesels also burn. I agree the diesels are torquier but my 2.0 sport is not slow by any stretch of the imagination. I also prefer the quieter running engine of the petrol version and less vibrations through the pedals etc.
My advice would be to drive both and judge for yourself. The petrols tend to be cheaper than the diesels so bear that in mind when considering running costs - it's going to take alot of miles to recover the extra money spent on the diesel version.
Don't be put off by people saying the petrol engine is crap - it's not Audi don't make crap cars!:no:

baynesey said:
best take mine back then based on that indepth technical analysis
You dont need to go into technical details when it is just plain and simple,its crap.

Isoproturon said:
We have the non-FSI 2.0 petrol as well as a TDi; the TDi is torquier and more economical but the petrol is quieter and performs just as well though you have to rev it to get the best from it. It's not crap per se, it's just that it is in the shadows of the what is an excellent range of engines.
If your TDI is a 130 there must be something wrong if the 2.0 petrol performs just aswell.
Petrol is quieter,thats not a surprise with the racket you get from the vag 1.9 diesel,which is a let down.

jisumfish said:
and don't have to keep topping up with expensive oil that the diesels also burn.

My A4 tdi didnt burn oil at all.

jisumfish said:
I agree the diesels are torquier but my 2.0 sport is not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

When i drove one it was dreadfully slow,almost couldnt overtake anything unless you had a mile straight.

jisumfish said:
The petrols tend to be cheaper than the diesels so bear that in mind when considering running costs - it's going to take alot of miles to recover the extra money spent on the diesel version.

But also bear in mind the diesel will be worth more when you come to sell it.

jisumfish said:
My advice would be to drive both and judge for yourself.

I would agree with that.

i would definitly recomend a tdi 130, by chance :) mine is for sale, check the classifieds. make me a sensible offer cos i have found my next car and need to sell! :icon_thumright:

cheers

neil