Brake Upgrade Options (8E Chassis)

sc00byd00byd00

Frank and Beans...............
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hiya All,

I have an A4 TDi Sport (130bhp) and find the brakes absolutely pants... also, since I had my discs and pads replaced, after wearing them in gradually, I decided to have an enthuisiastic drive and now whenever I use them, they squeel like you wouldn't believe.

I replaced the original brakes with OEM ones as I didn't fancy paying Audi costs for both the part & labour costs !!

Is is possible to upgrade the brakes on this model car without having to upgrade the master cylinder or change any other parts ? (Sorry, not too good at this)

Has anybody done this and could anybody suggest a viable course of action.

Thanks,

Scott

I'm doing an S4 brake upgrade to my 130 TDi, 345mm discs, single piston caliper. Others have done it and rate it.

I picked up a used pair of calipers that had done 28k and am refurbing them at the moment.

Budget around £400 for the calipers and carriers and another £300 ish for the discs and pads. You'll also need some other bits such as lines and water shield for behind the disc.

I got my calipers and carriers for £100, going to be buying the other bits new.

sc00byd00byd00 said:
they squeel like you wouldn't believe.

Take the pads off again and give the callipers a good clean off with a wire brush. Then apply copper grease all over the backs of them where they touch the callipers, this should stop the squealing.

As for upgrades, a cheaper alternative to the S4 upgrade as mentioned above would be to get a set up from a 3.0 V6 Quattro model. These take 312mm discs on the front compared to the 288mm fitted to the 1.9 TDi 130. Should be cheaper than the S4 set up and they certainly do the trick for me!!

So what parts do I need to do this conversion then ?

Can anybody provide a list ?

Also, will this mean that all the audi's electronic checks etc will still work ?

Also, other than standard disks and pads, is it possible to upgrade to high performance discs and pads on this model car ?

Nicky, my car is up for new anchors, are you saying all i would need 312mm carriers, discs and pads to suit, keeping my original calipers etc, anyone done this? Im really really interested to hear from you if you have.:hubbahubba:

46TheDoctor said:
Nicky, my car is up for new anchors, are you saying all i would need 312mm carriers, discs and pads to suit, keeping my original calipers etc, anyone done this? Im really really interested to hear from you if you have.:hubbahubba:
That is all you need but its not that much better.
If you are looking for a cheap upgrade you could put B5 S4 front brakes on,i did and the difference is massive.
Standard next to 321mm S4
DSC00439.jpg

I put uprated discs and pads on after a while
100_0073.jpg

And heres what they look like behind some 19's.
100_0074.jpg

James, could you list exactly what i need please bro
Cheers

46TheDoctor said:
James, could you list exactly what i need please bro
Cheers
Calipers,carriers and splash guards are all you really need if you are buying new discs and pads.
Your pipes will fit straight on too.
Start to finish is about 40 mins per side.
S4 Mintex discs and pads

james0808 said:
That is all you need but its not that much better.

How can you say that increasing the disc size by 24mm to 312mm discs wont be that much better?! Of course it will as your gaining about 8% additional braking surface area! True the S4 upgrade would be even better, but if cost and availability makes the 312mm upgrade better then it shouldnt be ruled out!

If your going to do the S4 upgrade then I would do the B6 S4 upgrade. I did think about the B5 S4 upgrade, but had done a bit of digging and some of the boys over at rs246 were saying how much better the brakes were on the B6 S4 to the B5 S4, so I went for the B6 S4.

Nickynibbles said:
How can you say that increasing the disc size by 24mm to 312mm discs wont be that much better?! Of course it will as your gaining about 8% additional braking surface area! True the S4 upgrade would be even better, but if cost and availability makes the 312mm upgrade better then it shouldnt be ruled out!
Simple because ive done it and it didnt.
Although your gaining a larger disc you still use the crappy little calipers and pads so you dont gain any braking surface area but your braking force is applied further out.
Its still a waste of money as you can get B5 S4 brakes for less than £200.
How much are 312mm discs,pads and carriers???

Neil_S said:
If your going to do the S4 upgrade then I would do the B6 S4 upgrade. I did think about the B5 S4 upgrade, but had done a bit of digging and some of the boys over at rs246 were saying how much better the brakes were on the B6 S4 to the B5 S4, so I went for the B6 S4.

Ive heard the B6 are better but for a cheap upgrade cant beat B5.

I'll sell my B7 A4 calipers, carriers, and lines for 250. All you'd need is rotors and pads to run 320mm fronts. Or you could buy S4 carriers and rotors, and the same B7 A4 pads, and run 345mm fronts. My calipers are ceramic coated black, and they look pretty good. let me know. I used the same calipers and pads, but got some B6 S4 carriers and rotors, and I'm running 345mm fronts. They are nice, but now I barely clear the 17"s I have on it. 320mm plus good pads and maybe an SS line upgrade would be pretty much all you need for the street. Just throwin' that out there.