New MAF fitted - waiting for ECL to come on again!!

audipardner

Reaction score
Hi all, well in my quest to finally sort out my air/fuel probs which has consistently brought up the error cat bank 1 exceeds limits, I have now fitted a new MAF - this is in addition to a new pre cat lambda sensor, breather pipes (PCV?), new air tube (which goes to the throttle body??).

The car doesn't feel that much better, initially the rev counter was bouncing slightly but that has now settled. Does it take time for the car's ECU to learn the new MAF?? And if my light does come back on has anyone got any ideas of what else could be the problem?

My mechanic (who is a great lad BTW) says he had a similar issue last year with a VW. It turned out that the owner only mentioned the oil usage at head scratching time!! And this was the factor behind the error code as it was also measuring the carbon deposits??? Can anyone amplify on that a bit more as mine drinks about 1litre every 1k. Think i'm heading for new valve seals???? - boo hoo

Ta

christ man uve had no luck with the audi have ya. cant really help ya out like but sorry to hear of the constant problems! if ur getting rid though ill have ur rear bumper :)

Oil usage may also be due to oil getting past the rings. IIRC, valve seals will show up as blue smoke on the overrun. Rings are when you're on the power.

Could also be turbo oil seals.

Thanks chaps

Chris, dont even go there for my rear!! That needs a spray too!!

The car isnt a turbo and there's no blue smoke. It does produce a bit of white smoke on occasion, especially when its been sat at idle for a few mins but not whilst driving. Quite hard to tell in this cr@p weather.

No loss of coolant and no other signs of poss HG failure imminent - now that would be a nice bulb to see - NOT!!

Well, unsurprisingly the light has come on again!! Only took two days..(cheers, thanks..not!!)

Looking for friendly VAG COM users in lincs now...

Have a good weekend all....I might as well polish the **** for what's it worth!!......