How much?!

dan_b

Reaction score
Website
www.vasarisingers.org
So pulled into my local Tesco for a dose of the lovely 99Octane yesterday, was rather disturbed by the cost to fill up a tank
- £66 :wtf:

I only got 250 miles out of the last tank (heavy right foot in town is bad news!), this is starting to make me think twice about driving. I know that's what they want us to do, but I never thought it would happen this quickly. Plus I hear the Government is still planning to bring in the next Fuel Duty increase in March - another 2p a litre in tax.

At this rate I'm going to have to consider a smaller-engined oil-burner. What is the real, genuine experience in terms of performance and economy of the 2.5TDi vs. the 1.9TDis, and how much difference does a re-map make to each?

What with this, and an apparent world recession on the cards, and Monday 21st being officially the most depressing day of the year, I'm not feeling too positive! :scared2:

£67 for 63 litres of the black sludge, around town approx 500m til empty - on a run - 600 :)

My 1.9 smog producer is remapped to about 185 and goes like stink!
Paul

dan_b said:
So pulled into my local Tesco for a dose of the lovely 99Octane yesterday, was rather disturbed by the cost to fill up a tank

And the anoying thing is you cant pay at the pump anymore to completely fill the tank as it cuts out at £60!!!

dan_b said:

I only got 250 miles out of the last tank (heavy right foot in town is bad news!), this is starting to make me think twice about driving. I know that's what they want us to do, but I never thought it would happen this quickly. Plus I hear the Government is still planning to bring in the next Fuel Duty increase in March - another 2p a litre in tax.

At this rate I'm going to have to consider a smaller-engined oil-burner. What is the real, genuine experience in terms of performance and economy of the 2.5TDi vs. the 1.9TDis, and how much difference does a re-map make to each?

What with this, and an apparent world recession on the cards, and Monday 21st being officially the most depressing day of the year, I'm not feeling too positive! :scared2:
i have a 2.5 tdi quattro that has been remapped from 180 to approx 220bhp.

on a full tank i can get between 500-550 miles if majority is motorway mileage at 80-90mph. around town it can drop to 300-400miles.

Thanks - interesting, I can squeeze about 430miles out of a tank if it's all m-way cruising, but I have to say the 250miles all in town is the worst I've ever managed, even my old S2 did better than that.

Did you find the economy changed at all when you got the re-map? Who did yours incidentally?

What's the performance like, honestly? What does the 2.5TDi red-line at? I do enjoy burying the needle in the red stuff, I wonder if I'd find the narrower rev-range frustrating...

I'm paying about that in diesel to fill up, but like the others here, i'm getting well into the 500s!

We seriously need fuel to drop in price, i'm getting so hacked off with it!

dan_b said:
Thanks - interesting, I can squeeze about 430miles out of a tank if it's all m-way cruising, but I have to say the 250miles all in town is the worst I've ever managed, even my old S2 did better than that.

Did you find the economy changed at all when you got the re-map? Who did yours incidentally?

What's the performance like, honestly? What does the 2.5TDi red-line at? I do enjoy burying the needle in the red stuff, I wonder if I'd find the narrower rev-range frustrating...

i was told that the economy should get better but i haven't really noticed a difference...apart from now the turbo kicks in at just over 1 thousand revs which means hardly any turbo lag!!! :hubbahubba:

the remap was done by chipped uk in bromsgrove, birmingham.

1st and 2nd red line very quickly (5 thousand revs) but from 3rd upwards it just keeps pulling & pulling & pulling, mmmmm, i lurve the torque! the narrower rev range WILL be frustrating after driving a petrol but you will get used to it and the way it pulls in the higher gears totally makes up for it

Fuel has now exceeded £5 a gallon

I always said I'd stop driving when it reached £3 a gallon :(

1210tech said:
1st and 2nd red line very quickly (5 thousand revs) but from 3rd upwards it just keeps pulling & pulling & pulling, mmmmm, i lurve the torque! the narrower rev range WILL be frustrating after driving a petrol but you will get used to it and the way it pulls in the higher gears totally makes up for it

5000rpm redline is better than a lot of diesels, but still a bit limited compared to what I have been used to for sure - my re-map moved the redline to 6900 on my 3.0v6.

What's the picture like with the 1.9TDis?

you just drive diesels differently. Ive got power all the time no need for gear changes all the time.

So what, the redline is shorter - means i get there quicker haha!!

i mainly drive short distances round town and always get over 430 per tank upto 600+ on motorways the 130bhp has great torque for driving round town and away from lights.

The think is the price seems to be rising daily, I can't imagine people being able to afford to drive soon! But I need to drive for my job and my employer won't raise the pence per mile thye pay me as they state the RAC guidelines, but those guidelines are so out of date, what is one to do??

I can't understand why the 40p/mile mileage expenses allowance hasn't changed in 15 years. Well I can, it's a stitch up, but it's darned frustrating.

£1423 to brim the tanks :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

How much :faint: How often do you have to fill up?

colemanlee76 said:
£1423 to brim the tanks :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

How much :faint: How often do you have to fill up?[/quote]

If it was a truck that was working for a living about once every 3-4 days :ohmy:

Its got a fuel capacity of 1600 litres for long haul purposes :ohmy:

We use it for training, fuel tests and press tests so we dont fill it very often luckily :happy: :happy:

TFSI, how many miles can you drive with 1600L of fuel say unladen and laden??

marms said:
Fuel has now exceeded £5 a gallon

I always said I'd stop driving when it reached £3 a gallon :(

my first car was a mini and it cost £10 or so to fill the tank and i got about 400 miles out of that money.

samuelt said:
TFSI, how many miles can you drive with 1600L of fuel say unladen and laden??

Fully freighted at 44 tons
Motorway average = MPG 8.5-9.0 :)
A road average = MPG 6.0-7.0 :happy:
Stop/Start average = MPG 4.0-4.5 :crying:

Unladen = MPG 12.0- 15.0 :) :)

We should be Metric but everybody in the truck world in the UK still quotes MPG instead of KPL or LP100K :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

J45SON said:
my first car was a mini and it cost £10 or so to fill the tank and i got about 400 miles out of that money.

When I first started driving at 17 Petrol was 59.9p a litre.:bye:
Imagine that now..:crying:

I filled up the other week using Bp Ultimate (Vpower was dry around here) and I paid 117.9p a litre :faint: ..Yep, Pants were pulled right down to the deck and I was raped of 20 quids worth!:asskicking: and managed to get 70mile out of it...