Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

What Tyres Do You Lot Have?

this may have been asked before, but i need to get 2 new tyres pronto and i'm having a dilema, perhaps you can help..

225/40/18 - currently got y rated on

do i need to have y rated? can't see myslef doing 186mph but would like to have the handling capabilities.

i have narrowed down the list of tyres i like to the following:

1. Dunlop SP 9000 - good write up's, nice tread.

2. Dunlop Sport Maxx - as above

3. Goodyear Eagle F1 - great tread pattern - soft compund so wont get same mileage i think

4. Pirelli Pzero Rosso - fantastic write up's - not as nice to look at - bad tread pattern

my local tyre place can get them all for around 100 each fully fitted. they will be fitted on the back as the front 2 have good tread depth.

cheers in advance.
    j
    wish i'd bought a beemer now....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    My B5 had Dunlops on it all road when I bought it, they weren't 9000s but they were SP Sport somethin or other. While they weren't brand new they still had good tread left. I found them positively scary. Not long after I picked it up I had the fronts replaced with Eagle F1 GSD3 because a lot of the 8L guys found them to be good. I've gotta say they're without a doubt the best tyres I've ever had (certainly in terms of grip). They did pretty well in mileage terms too; the vast majority were motorway, but I must've had about 40k out of them.

I've just had all four done, and because there were no Eagle F1 GSD3s about in the right size I'm giving Goodyear Excellence a try. So far so good. They're perhaps a little less grippy in the dry, but not much. They're definitely better in the wet. They're also supposed to be a bit quieter (which I'd agree with - not a massive difference but noticeable). Apparently they wear less too, but if they get anywhere close to what I had out of the Eagles I'm happy.

If it was my money, out of the ones you're looking at I'd have the Eagles every time, but honestly I'd say Excellence are worth considering as a good all-rounder too.

I wouldn't worry too much what tread patterns look like though, I'm more concerned with performance - after all the tyres are the only bit of your car that attach it to the road!

All the best,

Rob
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J45SON
    this may have been asked before
    Roughly every other day, here's the most recent thread from two days ago:

What tyres???

Quote Originally Posted by J45SON
    do i need to have y rated? can't see myslef doing 186mph but would like to have the handling capabilities.
    My understanding is that you need to have the same minimum rating as was a factory fit to avoid your insurance company invalidating any claim in the event of an accident. I'm not sure but it may also be an MOT requirement. Tyre ratings are a function of torque at the wheels as well as out and out top speed.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonP
    Roughly every other day, here's the most recent thread from two days ago:

What tyres???

My understanding is that you need to have the same minimum rating as was a factory fit to avoid your insurance company invalidating any claim in the event of an accident. I'm not sure but it may also be an MOT requirement. Tyre ratings are a function of torque at the wheels as well as out and out top speed.
    will put my glasses on in future... heh heh

thanks for the advice

jason

3rd Gear

Status
    I've got Goodyear Eagle NCT5's (or something like that) on my A4 and they are positively crap! They are on their way out and they've been on for less than 12 months and done around 7-8k! For what appears to be such a soft compound the grip levels aren't that good either... though the fact that my suspension isn't setup properly set up probably doesn't help matters much.

Best tyres I've ever had are Yokohama AVS Sport. Absolutely fantastic levels of grip in the dry. In the rain they were a bit dicey, but in the dry on a hot sticky day...

1st Gear

Status
    well after doing the rounds, i have managed to get kwik-fit to fit these for 100 each all-in

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...34p11399&rs=gb

should be sweet so will let you all know what they are like when on.

thanks
    jason

Diesel 1.19 in Eire

Status

Picture of thread paterns

Here are some pictures of the tyres you guys were talking about above.

Clog
    Goodyear every time