Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Sat nav retro fit?

Hi

I've been looking at an A4 PD130 sport and have noticed that there seem to be variations in the central console. I would like to fit a sat nav unit (RNS-E I believe?) Is this possible in all models? Some seem to have the climate controls higher up than others - meaning there is not enough space for the sat-nav unit? Can they be moved down?

Also, I guess I need a plug and play adaptor and a GPS antenna - anything else?

Oh, and finally... is it the RNS-E that I need for a B6?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Search is your friend!!

I take it you have single DIN radio? Concert?

You will need an RNS-E for a B6. The climate control panel can be modified to fit or you can puchase the correct version. Double DIN radio cage will also be required.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

4th Gear

Status
    Hi mate these are the items you will need, if your not so good at DIY then you can speak to S8craig on ASN, he is based in Manchester and retro fits this sort of kit.

Make sure if you go down the e-bay route, purchase a Q model RNS-E they are the latest units (2007)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEBI:IT&ih=013

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Audi-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-RNS-E-...QQcmdZViewItem

Ian

Neutral

Status
    That's fantastic, many thanks :D

Does the climate pannel need coding or is it a plug and play job?

I'm reasonably competent with this sort of thing so I'm happy to have a go myself, I'm just not familar with this vehicle so want to make sure I get everything I need before I start pulling it apart!

Thanks again
    Phil

Neutral

Status
    Oh... I forgot to say, I have VAG-COM so if coding needs doing I should be able to...

5th Gear

Status
    Climate shouldnt need recoding, never say never though. However, make 100% sure you have the correct part number unit if your getting another one. As some units from B7's look the same as a B6's but the functionality wont be perfect. Some also will have heated seat controls built in etc.

If in doubt x-ref the numbers with Audi to make sure your getting the right bits. It quite easy to shave a couple of mm's from your old unit to make it fit, if your reasonably confident with a hand plane.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Neutral

Status
    I'm thinking of doing this as well, do these sat nav units have radio built in to them? Also can you hook up a CD changer as well???

Also is there no way of modifying the existing climate control to fit lower down??
    Last edited by ickleric; 10th January 2008 at 07:54.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ickleric
    I'm thinking of doing this as well, do these sat nav units have radio built in to them? Also can you hook up a CD changer as well???

Also is there no way of modifying the existing climate control to fit lower down??
    Radio - Yes. CD Changer - Yes can be added.

Did you read my post above about modifying the climate control panel? It can be done using a hand plane or a dremmel if you have the skill/patience.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

cabriolet

Status
    hi
    i retro fitted my unit, the biggest pain was the double din unit but wasnt hard at all.
    i also trimmed my climate down myself rather than get another, just take your time and do a little at a time untill perfect fit.
    once all done the result is great and you wouldnt know that you did it yourself, very pleasing.
    i too have used S8craig and hes a great guy with lots of experiance in this field and not too expensive.
    but if you feel confident then give it a go, any problems/questions id be happy to help as would everyone on here.
    good look ....
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!