standard 130bhp tdi....true figures???

Andy D

Reaction score
Has anyone rolling road tested a standard 130tdi to see what the actual figures are.

I have been told that the 130bhp is an absolute minimum bhp the car left the factory with and more often than not this is usually a few bhp under the actual cars output.

I'm going on a rolling road on 2nd February and am looking for a ballpark figure of what to expect.

It's only quoted at the flywheel, obviously at the wheels it will be a lot less. Will be interesting to see what figures you get.

I heard that a bad 1.9 TDI (130 bhp) make 140bhp... VAG cars always tend to put out a bit more. see here

http://www.superchips.co.uk/roadtest/a4130avant.pdf

it was putting out 148bhp (380 Nm) before they chipped it (2nd page)

I'm tempted to take mine for a power run as I can switch the tuning box on and off, so I could easily do a before and after comparison...

Its gonna depend on the accuracy of the rollers as well, I reckon you'd have to RR it at several places and take an average for a truer figure.

You'd get different numbers on different days on the same RR. I did at JBS, 174, 177 and 179 on the three occasions my VW was done.

The conditions like air temp & humity will affect bhp output readings too. Also depending on how good the ventilation is inside the rolling road building will affect the oxygen content of the air. Cold winter air will be more dense that warm summer air so more oxygen can be sucked in by the engine.

I could go on but I think you get the picture there's a lot of variables!

temperature and air pressure should be accounted for on the rolling road software.