looking at this h.i.d kit

M22_PRE said:
i have been looking into a xenon conversion kit and have found this one as i want a high quality kit. whats the verdict ??? im putting them on a 2003 a4 tdi se
heres the link

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16381&cat=622&page=1

Before you buy you might want to read the 'HID FAQ Page'

Are these HID systems road legal?

Aftermarket HID systems are not road legal due to the fact you cannot 'E' mark a bulb that is of different type to the bulb it is replacing (ie HID for halogen). Therefore we can only sell these as off road use conversions.

This may or may not bother you but thought you might want to read it before you part with £200.

I went for the top ones bud, £79. no there not hi beam just your main bulb. i think ud need bi-xenons if you wanted the hi beam aswell.i got the 6k bulb, perfect for what i was after, a slight blue tint but nothing stupid. best mod ive ever done i must say.

Have you gone through an MOT with them yet? This is a mod I'm seriously considering as my stock lights seem rubbish. But obviously with everyone talking about HID conversions being illegal, I have some reservations.

Surely if the light is coming through a projector lens, that will stop any light scattering and prevent glare. But what do I know?! :wacko:

im right in thinkin that the bulbs i need would be h7's ??? gonna get these ordered today i think

Yes I think Ill go for some aswell I reckon. Hey Chris, Whats the Disadvantages of having say the 8K, 10K etc, I take it they would be very Bright?? Is the 6K the norm??

Also how ong did they take to fit??
cheers

The K value of the bulb does not define light output (that's Wattage), but the colour temperature (K meaning Kelvin) the higher the K, the more "Blue" the light appears; the very high K values look somewhat purple/violet! As the light goes further into the purple, you will actually start to lose visable light output, so stick to the lower K values (6000K).

As to the (ill)legality of aftermarket HIDs: I ran HIDs on my old S2 Coupe for years - that had very old-fashioned reflector lenses and got it through every MOT with no issue. MOT testers are looking only for aim and equal brightness.

The main issues with HIDs is dazzling on-coming traffic, which is why factory fits have to have auto-levelling and headlamp washers as standard. If you retro-fit, ellipsoid lenses are a better start, and if you have headlamp washers even better. The most important thing I found was to make sure the aim is spot on, be sensible and keep it a few degrees lower than required and ensure it's not beaming across to the right. Keep the lamps clean, don't go for a very high Kelvin lamp and you'll be ok.

As mentioned above, one of the best mods I think you can do because you can actually see where you're going in the dark, which is a distinct bonus!

as mentioned there j7uss, the main disadvantage is the higher the temp u go the less light is output, i think 6k is the best for light output. factory fit xenons come with 4300k temp bulbs i believe. also the more u go past 6k the more chav it looks cause it looks more blue than white.

yes h7 is correct i got these for my crimbo well got them before it and its the best mod i have ever done:jump: i got mine from hids direct and would defo reccomend them. I went for the 8k kit and love them they take about half an hour to fit and its simple :icon_thumright:

The hardest thing I found for retrofitting these kits is finding a good space to locate the ballasts. Chris do you have photos of where you fixed yours?

I confess it took me the best part of 3 hours to fit mine on my S2...

Happily my V6 has factory-fit HIDs!

People, if you want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible go for no higher than 6000k. 4300k is what is fitted at the factory in most cars, but this can vary slightly to around the 5000k mark. IMO 5000k is the best colour to have, it is absolutely white with no hint of yellow or blue.

if the question was for me about where pics where i put mines i havent got any but will get sum at the weekend one is under the headlight so cant be see and the other near the wing but it has been kept very tidy an neat so dosent stick out like a sore thumb :icon_thumright:

golf said:
People, if you want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible go for no higher than 6000k. 4300k is what is fitted at the factory in most cars, but this can vary slightly to around the 5000k mark. IMO 5000k is the best colour to have, it is absolutely white with no hint of yellow or blue.

agree with the 6000k it being white but i went for the 8000k kit as i wanted blue through mine as i really like it,looks really good and very modern imo :)

I think these illustrations will give a good enough understanding about colour tempurature (K), colour emitted and brightness and how they all relate to each other.

There's been many past debates on whether or not aftermarket HIDs are road legal. But all the information you need is on the forum. Just hit the search button.

[URL="http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3068/color2520temperaturext2.png"][/URL]

6000k it is then, I never really looked into HIDS before so dont know about them but from all the good advice from you guys assures me its pretty much what I want.

....and im sure I mentioned in a past thread it was only Doorblades and Fresh wheels this year...:motz: Ill have to find another pocket to burn a hole in!!!

chris_20 said:
mate i got these a few weeks back. absolutely perfect. high quality great service. do urself a favour and save yourself over £100(top ones)
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html

Thanks mate, took your advise. Mine came today and hopefully get them fitted prob tmrw or saturday. Also gonna get the side ones done. Fittings around 40 quid from a reputable auto electrician.

Yep were on the 3rd of Jan and the spendings started...

I fitted mine myself - took just over an hour!

As mentioned; hiding the ballast is the hardest part - driver side ballast went under the plastic intake wheras the passenger side is secured in the 'cage' below the windscreen water holder!

My MOT was due a few days later; got the lights aligned properly and sailed through the test - it's a year since I've put my on and probably the best mod Ive done!

I'm interested in getting a set of these. Do they involve changing the existing wiring at all, or do they "plug and play" into the loom without having to make any alterations?

mine came in the post today, il b putting them in tomorrow lol

Hopefully mine will be here monday too!!!

Should have set up a group buy at this rate...:)

lol, woulda bin a good idea but i find group buys take too long to organise id rather just pay the bit extra and get them sooner. but im an inpatient mofo

fitted mine now, well chuffed. only little pain is gettin the lights out other than that stright forward job did it easy in a an hour

OK, my kit is now ordered. I went for the kit further down the page, specifically for BMWs and Audis. They have extra capacitors to avoid problems with the bulb warning system on the DIS. They're £20 more, but he knocked a fiver off the shipping cost, so I've paid £110 in total.

I'm arranged for them to be delivered directly to my nephew, who runs a vehicle restoration business, and understands these things. They will be installed this coming weekend, when I visit the family in Sussex.

Happy days!

wat are the best sidelight bulbs to use to match them up to the dipped lights?? also which are the best bulbs to change for my fog lights to make them look like hid's????

Had mine fitted today inc side lamps changed. Chris you were right - its the best bit of modding that can be done to car. I am loving them, at last I can see the road in front in the dark.

NOOOOOOOOO looks like the credit card is going to take a hit again!

pav-g said:
Had mine fitted today inc side lamps changed. Chris you were right - its the best bit of modding that can be done to car. I am loving them, at last I can see the road in front in the dark.

:icon_thumright:

what sidelights did you go for pav? i need some whiter coloured ones as my yellow-ish ones look poop next to the xenons

I dont know about sidelights, I left it to my mate. I'll ask him in morning. Just been out for a blast and they have made an improvement. Guys you wont be dissapointed...

chris_20 said:
I went for the top ones bud, £79. no there not hi beam just your main bulb. i think ud need bi-xenons if you wanted the hi beam aswell.i got the 6k bulb, perfect for what i was after, a slight blue tint but nothing stupid. best mod ive ever done i must say.
Got mine from hid's direct 6000k best mod yet! i got the sidelights to match,the bulbs look dark blue(side lights) but when there lit there ice white! Also i fitted the ballasts under the headlight,same place where audi fit them as the cars use the same headlight for halogen/xenon.what a factory fit!

Mine are in! It took me and my nephew about 40 minutes to get 'em in and working fine. Curiously, the optional capacitors that were supplied as being specific to the Audi (and for which I paid extra) didn't work properly, and caused random bulb failure warnings. We took them off, and the whole thing worked perfectly.

At the moment, the ballasts are simply cited on the back bulkhead, but I will look at a more permanent out-of-the-way location when I have more time.

Driving from Eastbourne back to London via Tunbridge Wells, the roads are dark & twisty, and for the first time, I could actually see where I was going on dipped beam. They are fantastic!

I might ring HID Direct on Monday, and ask if I can send the capacitors back for a refund.