Considering A 1.9TDI - Need Some Help

emzino

Reaction score
Hi all. Right now i've got an A3 8P 2.0TDI. It's perfect in everyway except it's mileage is too high for me to be chucking money into it.

Currently sitting at 60k, my plans were to get a MTM Remap, 200cell Sports CAT w/Turbo-Back exhaust system, FMIC & forced CAI.

Anyway, once sold, my plan is to get an A4 1.9TDI 130bhp but i'm not sure how the 1.9 engine behaves. Is it a big step down from 2.0 to 1.9? I know the 2.0 is meant to be much more torquer & refined as well as other advancements but is it really bad for me to drop down a litre?

How does the 1.9 respond to a remap and engine mods in general... will I get good gains while retaining reliability & traction?

Many thanks in advance for any input.

emzino said:
Hi all. Right now i've got an A3 8P 2.0TDI. It's perfect in everyway except it's mileage is too high for me to be chucking money into it.

Currently sitting at 60k, my plans were to get a MTM Remap, 200cell Sports CAT w/Turbo-Back exhaust system, FMIC & forced CAI.

Anyway, once sold, my plan is to get an A4 1.9TDI 130bhp but i'm not sure how the 1.9 engine behaves. Is it a big step down from 2.0 to 1.9? I know the 2.0 is meant to be much more torquer & refined as well as other advancements but is it really bad for me to drop down a litre?

How does the 1.9 respond to a remap and engine mods in general... will I get good gains while retaining reliability & traction?

Many thanks in advance for any input.

You wouldnt be dropping down a litre, only a tenth of a litre!

Your not gonna find many B6's under 60k. Saying that, 60 k isnt high mileage these days , especially on a diesel. IMHO just tune your current car and turn into the car you want into to be.

Hmm. Your right about that, I am finding a hard time seeing a B6 under 60k... I was actually looking for something with <45k.

Would you say my 60k engine is part worn? Is it worth it in your opinion?

I wouldnt consider 60k high mileage these days. Even if you found a B6 under 45k, in a years time you'll have put quite a few miles on it anyway!

Mate of mine has just purchased a B6 avant 1.9 TDI with 165k on it, and I can honestly say it runs like a dream!

I guess you gotta decide if you want an A3 or A4. I changed to an A4 from an A3 for practicality reasons - I'd not go back to an A3, the A4 is much nicer drive IMHO. Maybe doesnt 'handle' quite as sharply but that is not what I want from the car. I want comfort, space and a relaxing drive. The A4 ticks all these boxes so its the car for me.

60k isnt a lot of miles, if your current car is the right one for you and has the spec you want then I'd stick with it and tune if thats what you want. Otherwise change cars and get the right base car to start tuning.

If you tune the wrong car then your throwing money away as it will never increase in value. Tune the car that your happy with and intend to keep for a long time.

I've had loads of cars in recent years with >100K on the clock, some company cars and latterly ones I've bought since I took a more tax efficient car allowance. My current A4 TDi was bought with 140K on the clock; I've had it under 4 months and it's heading for 150K.

60K is ****** all; it makes me laugh when people think that is high mileage. Buy on condition not mileage. A car that has done huge mileage in a short space of time is generally in much better nick than one that has done it over a longer a period, or even 60K over a few years.

There are bargains to be had for those with the ******** to buy a high mileage car. FSH is vital though.

Well all this talk has made me think differently now. Learnt something new =)

Think i'll stick with the car because of it's unique/rare spec plus I love it so much anyway. The shape and stance it has is something i'll love above all others.

Well many many thanks Isaac Hunt & Isoproturon, really appreciate your help =)

I bought a '53 A4 1.9TDI (130) with 88k on the clock and I wasn't worried about it in the slightest... Lets face it these aren't the basic, clattery Diesels of old. It runs like an absolute dream and to be honest I was actually pleasantly surprised by the performance.

Well i've had a good think and i'm going to keep the A3 for now. The A4 is very tempting and will be likely car i'll buy if I sell the A3.

Many thanks to all that have helped and i'll remember your advice.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Em

My car has 151k on the clock and runs like a dream, these cars seem to hold up well to high milage