B6 Quattro TDI (GMBH Sport)

sprout99

Reaction score
I have been thinking of buying one ......What engine code are they?

Currently I have 130PS A3 sport - don't want something that will be dog slow in comparison

I have seen that they are sometimes PD130 TDI but 285Nm torque
How do you know if it's a 310NM version?

any known quirks to look out for?
I've heard PAS pumps are knownm to go.

Cheers
Ian

AVF is the engine with the better stats, AWX is the same bhp with less torque's, AWX's generally only have 5 speed box's as opposed to 6speed in the AVF.:icon_thumright:

46TheDoctor said:
AVF is the engine with the better stats, AWX is the same bhp with less torque's, AWX's generally only have 5 speed box's as opposed to 6speed in the AVF.:icon_thumright:

Oh yes, AVF in mine then, I honestly never knew there was a difference:icon_thumright:

AFAIK, the TDI 130 Quattros all have the higher torque figure and 6 speed 'boxes.

It was only the FWD that went from 5 speed and 285NM to 6 speed and 310NM

been thinking of buying a '54' plate Quattro with GMBH kit.

theres a choice - one is £14k with 21,000 miles and leather
the other is £13k 57,000 miles no leather - both dolphin grey.

is quattro worth extra cash?
what do i need to look out for on them?

Cheers
Ian

The problem with quattro is the extra weight. I'm not convinced that the amount of power available on the 1.9 is enough to justify quattro. The weight of the quattro will slow the car down slightly and reduce the mpg's. If you live somewhere where it snows a lot, it'll be worth it(or if you take your car on skiing holidays with you).
I wished for quattro for so long, and now that I have it, I do sometimes wish I hadn't bothered.

dont think Id like any less power on a 1.9 to be honest.

pablo said:
dont think Id like any less power on a 1.9 to be honest.

i have a re-mapped 130 A3 - running about 180BHP and 400Nm torque.
It's quick but not as quick as the ibiza sport i used to own running same power. So i can see where the weight difference comes in.

i was thinking that it would be a bit slower but not much due to gearing?

i'm starting to wonder if this would be the right move to make.
I live on a hill that won't get gritted in a small village on outskirts of Durham.

Quattro would be good. What's the average MPG you guys get? The A3 does 49 even if i give it a hard time.

Mines a non quattro, i get 40-42 mpg with mixed mileage, 47-49 on a run to my mates house all the way down to Farnborough, about 180 miles or so.

they are a good looking car with a good stance on the road - nice and squat even std suspension.

not sure in current climate if i'd be happy losing that many mpg's......:think:

sprout99 said:
what's the mpg like? buying is not the concern i do quite a few miles and don't want to be even more out of pocket (within reason)

Poor. I'm lucky if I get 33mpg on mine on a nice run. 27mpg around town.

If mpg is your target, stick with a 1.9 fwd. I was getting about 48 around town, and 55+ on a nice run in my 1.9 fwd.

arthurfuxake said:

If mpg is your target, stick with a 1.9 fwd. I was getting about 48 around town, and 55+ on a nice run in my 1.9 fwd.

i get about 40 mpg from my 2.5, but yes thje 1.9 fwd is the best for mpg.

i've asked the guy at the garage with the 57K one a few questions so i don't waste my time going to see it.

See what answers I get. The usual how many owners, smoker, kerbings, dings and scrapes, timing belt, service etc etc

arthurfuxake said:

That's quite surprising seeing as the S3 8L gets around 25-28mpg around town too...

How much do you spend roughly a week on petrol? And do you actually notice the petrol needle going down when you drive? Any regrets?

i spend approx £40 per 450 miles in the TDI 1.9 A3. I hear the 2.0 TDI's are not as good on fuel - or am I wrong?

Really would love A3 S Line Quattro but don't have £16k

emzino said:
How much do you spend roughly a week on petrol? And do you actually notice the petrol needle going down when you drive? Any regrets?

Luckily I don't do many miles anymore. I used to do about 25k a year which is why I had the 1.9 fwd. But I've dropped down to about half that now which is why I've swapped to the 2.5Q. I do regret it on my daily commute into the office, but I get a huge grin when I am out and about in the countryside and I'm chucking it around the twisty lanes. If I was in the market for a new car I'd be tempted by the 2.0TFSI quattro. But if I have to increase my mileage again, I'd swap it for a 1.9 fwd.

sprout99 said:
i spend approx £40 per 450 miles in the TDI 1.9 A3. I hear the 2.0 TDI's are not as good on fuel - or am I wrong?

Really would love A3 S Line Quattro but don't have £16k

Na you heard right.. we don't get as good as fuel economy as the 1.9 boys. Infact, you'd think an extra 0.1 litre wouldn't make a different but it does apparently!

Because I do town driving only, the 2.0TDI can't really come into it's own which is why i'm contemplating selling it, then buying an S3 8L. I'm sure if I drive it right, the 1.8T shouldn't drink as much to be honest.

emzino said:
Because I do town driving only, the 2.0TDI can't really come into it's own which is why i'm contemplating selling it, then buying an S3 8L. I'm sure if I drive it right, the 1.8T shouldn't drink as much to be honest.

I dare say you 'could' drive an S3 very carefully and achieve a urban MPG close to that of the TDI but whats the point?

The S3 isnt meant to be driven like an old granny! If you want high MPG dont buy an S3 as you wont be able to restrain yourself for long.

I drive approx 25K a year which is why I bought a TDI. As soon as the S3 can do 50 MPG then I'll buy one, wont be holding my breath though!

do you guys think that £13k for a '54' plate car with 57K on clock is ok?

Guy at garage says it's been serviced and timing belt done by them, Needs 4 tyres, will re-furb wheels and get dent master to look at car park dings.

only thing is that this one doesn't have leather.

:detective2:

Whats up with the one for 1k more that has leather and alot less miles? Seems odd to try skip the leather and lower mileage just to save 1k

nothing wrong with it apart from being i WIgan and I'm in Durham

The other one is in Bramham which is ony 1 hour away isnstead of 2.5

so leather is worth waiting for?

I guess there is bit of percieved 'snobbery' about leather, some people view a car as being a lesser model if it doesnt have leather seats.

Some people love it but I hate it! Freezing cold in winter, Yes you can have heated seats but not all cars had this fitted. Also makes my back sweat in summer and it really doesnt age well - always cracks and creases with age.

Just personal opinion of course, try it before you buy it if your unsure!

Issac Hunt said:
I guess there is bit of percieved 'snobbery' about leather, some people view a car as being a lesser model if it doesnt have leather seats.

Some people love it but I hate it! Freezing cold in winter, Yes you can have heated seats but not all cars had this fitted. Also makes my back sweat in summer and it really doesnt age well - always cracks and creases with age.

Just personal opinion of course, try it before you buy it if your unsure!

But if you have kids it's so much easier to clean than cloth.

What ****** me off about most manufacturers is that you spend all this money to have "leather" seats when the only part that is leather is the bit you sit on i.e. the back and sides are some sort of manmade leatherette. If I'd been prepared for the hassle I'd have had my car with cloth and then got it re-trimmed in full leather at a later stage.

I suppose its individual taste and preference when it comes to leather or upholstery, my last two beemers had leather and I used to hate when the kids scuffed the seats when they used to get in and out. I was grateful to find a car with normal upholstery for a change and wouldnt go back.

arthurfuxake said:
The problem with quattro is the extra weight. I'm not convinced that the amount of power available on the 1.9 is enough to justify quattro. The weight of the quattro will slow the car down slightly and reduce the mpg's. If you live somewhere where it snows a lot, it'll be worth it(or if you take your car on skiing holidays with you).
I wished for quattro for so long, and now that I have it, I do sometimes wish I hadn't bothered.

I think that sums it up nicely, having had both.

The Quattro is more sure-footed in very poor weather, but other than that you won't notice on a daily basis. Fuel economy is worse though, by about 3mpg+