Tdi 130 hesitation problem

Burtney

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 2001 Tdi 130 which hesitates intermittantly when I take my foot off the accelerator and reapply it.-feels like a slight jerking / flat spot. - Always happens at around 1800 - 1900rpm (most noticible in 4th gear) Has anyone come across this problem or know what the cause cound be?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mine also is about to run out of warranty - I understand however that as long as you have reported the fault before expiry you have a right to have it fixed if it continues to recur. Make sure your dealer has logged the fault in their system. - It may be an idea to leave the car with them for 2-3 days?

I read elsewhere on the net of the same fault - aparently most lieky to be a sticking Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) or faulty Diverter Valve - I'm goint to book mine in shortly to have it checked out.

good evening all.as an audi mastertech i have dealt with this problem on a couple of occaisions.the fault lies with the egr solenoid valve.this is fitted under the o/s headlamp.on both occaisions it has had water and dirt inside.there is a technical solution for this problem and your dealer should have it.take your car back to your local dealer and tell them to sort it .ps.we are not all"stealers"and rubbish at our jobs.good luck

I took the car into the dealers and they confirmed that I need a new turbo boost valve, is this the same as the egr valve you're referring to RSW? - Now that you mention water / dirt, I have noticed that fault more when it has been raining heavily

no this is a different valve which controls your turbo boost.the egr valve looks very similar.never had a problem with boost solenoid with 8e chassis a4.if you are having the same symptoms as described above it will be the egr valve.who is your dealer?

RSW,
Forgive my ignorance, what is an 8e chassis. Mine is a 2001 A4 1.9 TDi B6 chassis(new shape), is this different to the 8e?
I'm totally p*ssed off with Smith Knight Fay Audi in Bolton, but do need to have this problem sorted before the warranty expires. I'm a bit confused as to whether it is the egr valve or the boost valve that is faulty. Has the problem on Burt's car been mis-diagnosed?
Thanks for your help.

HI LON,8E CHASSIS IS NEW SHAPE A4.SOUNDS LIKE BURTS CAR IS BEING MIS DIAGNOSED.IT WILL BE THE EGR SOLENOID AT FAULT 99.9% AS I SAID ABOVE I HAVE HAD EXACT FAULT A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE.THE WORST CASE WAS THE ENGINE WOULD NOT RUN FOR LONGER THAN 5 SECONDS.IF YOU HAVE NO JOY WITH YOUR DEALER LET ME KNOW BY EMAIL AND SEE IF I CAN SORT IT OUT FOR U RSW.

Hi RSW, my dealer is Isaac Agnew, Belfast - should I question this with them / suggest EGR when I leave the car in next week? - (I only have 4 weeks warranty left) - By the way, in the case where a fault is misdiagnosed (and therefore continues to give problems outside warranty) -Is the dealer obliged to repair free of charge? I also habe a clunking drivers seat (leather sports type) which was supposed to have been adjusted / lubricated, but the noise still exists (when cornering)- any ideas?

Burt,
I've had a long running battle with my dealer and have insisted that the fault be logged on their computers and all paperwork I have recieved from them. They have agreed that if the problem is eventually diagnosed outside of warranty, they will still repair it under warranty. I know these are only words, and don't I trust them as far as I can throw them, but hell hath no furry like an audi driver scorned!! I will make their lives very unpleasant if they do not honour it!

you could ask to speak to their mastertech(if they have one)and tell him about our conversation its always the best policy to by pass the reception.in my experience it gets a bit like chinese whispers.what you have described in good detail to reception gets written down on the jobcard in the way they understood you.so when the tech gets the job card it usually transpires into something completely different.

I've had a problem not too dissimilar with regard to slight hestitation when backing off the throttle a bit and re-applying but my main problem is that the power cuts out and goes into limp home mode whenever I hit 115mph racing through the gears. I've also tried gradually building up the speed on a motorway (all private roads of course) and reached 130mph without any problems so it seems its only when the engine is pushed does this happen.

Now some background on my car: Its a June 2003 A4 avant Tdi 130 QS but remapped by AmD to 190bhp. My initial concerns where that it had something to do with the remap but AmD said they doubt that its anything to do with that, so I took the car into Listers Audi (after my brother recommended to tell them that it maybe the MAF, he is an Audi technician himself but not at my local dealership) and nothing showed up on the diagnostics and they obviously wouldn't replicate what happened to me at those speeds. I decided to take it to AmD and get them to check it out. They found that it definately is the MAF and said that Audi should replace it under warranty. So there I go again back to Listers and tell them what AmD told me but when I collected the car on the evening after I left it with them all day they said that they couldn't do anything again because nothing showed up on their computer.

Catch 22...each one is going to blame the other and I cannot afford to keep going back to AmD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

my hesitation problem is just a subtle kind of flat spot, you think the engine is going to die under your foot for a split second typically between 1800 - 2000 rpm and usually when you have backed of the accelerator or you are just holding speed. Of all the replies and discussion on hesitation i like what the audi master tech has to say about the egr solenoid valve - I don't know how expensive they are but it would nearly be worth a try to just get rid of this random intermittent problem. Only thing I wonder about is - there is no way the car is going to cut out or only run for five seconds as discussed in another message - this does not sound like my problem as discussed. My engine could go perfect all day and if you drive it on hard you will have no power problem - its just as i say when you are cruising so are we 99% egr solenoid valve? we will see....

the cutting out and running for 5 seconds was worst case.the most common symptom is when backing off the throttle and reaplying it gives you a hesitation because there is too much egr.

Left mine into the dealer yesterday and they replaced the EGR valve - hopefully the problem will now be gone!

By the way TDII - Have you noticed the hesitation is particularly noticable in wet weather or after heavy rain - this was when mine was at its worst. It appears this is a very common fault with B6 A4's - I assume the valve they are replacing the faulty ones with has been improved??

Burt - good to hear from you - very interested to know if this valve has solved your problem. My Dealer has contacted Audi (re warranty and the symptoms) and is still considering the situation so I just have to wait a bit. I can't say if the problem is worse in wet weather really ( we are having a lot of sunshine lately!) Anyhow see how you go - hopefully we will all get sorted!

So far my hesitation problem appears to be gone!

tdii - Sounds like your dealer isn't being entirely accommodating- I mean it appears from what RSW is saying that this is a common problem with these cars - as soon as I took my car in and described the fault they knew what it was! - (I would not have been able to get the car to reproduce the fault). I would request that they test the valve or else go to another dealer who is prepared to change the thing without faffing around!

I've dumped SKF In Bolton and took it into Lancaster Audi in Manchester. I told them about the info I got from this post, and the service guy said he would first check the MAF as he has had a few cars come in with faulty MAFs, but he phoned me back about an hour later and confirmed that it was the EGR. They've ordered the part and is booked in on the 13th May. Thanks for the info RSW.

Just had my EGR solenoid valve replaced on Friday and keeping my fingers crossed - looks like the problem is gone! It will take me another few days to chill out and convince myself!! It's a bit like a migraine - your never really sure how long you can go without one hitting you out of the blue. Anyhow three cheers for the Audi Master tech (RSW) Thanks for your help.

Had my EGR replaced last week, and still seem to have the problem. Not as often though, but I have noticed it a few times.

PS, I had a new set of hinges fitted to the boot, but the boot still feels heavy and stiff - it no longer rises by itself when I have lifted it about 6 inches up. The mastertech first said it was the weight of the spoiler(rubbished him on that one) and he then said it was the age of the car(almost 3 years old now). I tried another 3 year old A4 and it was also stiff. What are they going to be like after 6 years?

Guess what - it wasn't the EGR solenoid valve unfortunately - so what's next - the main EGR Valve ? is it a temp loss of fuel pressure for a couple of seconds, does something come in to play at around 2000 revs - a wastegate valve or something - what about a faulty injector - a faulty ECU a faulty mass airflow sensor - but I have no power problems or black smoke or anything like this just this random hesistation every so often - mightnt happen for a few days. it happened the other day when I overtook a car and then eased off the accelerator which comes back to EGR but is there another EGR valve other than the solenoid valve - what do you think Audi master tech?

I've had my MAF replaced recently by a different dealer that looked at my car 3 times and said that there was nothing wrong with it. Ok the tolerences weren't great but they were there and it has stopped the off throttle hesitation. However it still hasn't cured the high speed loss of power. This I think points to the remap now but I am not taking it all the way back to AmD again. I will just not go above a certain speed anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Discovered my hesitation is back again after a couple of days of rain - so car back at dealers, however car now out of warranty - should I have to pay if they have failed to solve the problem first time around??

No, if you reported the error during warranty, it should be fixed under warranty.

- Yak

Burt,
I have the same issue. I had my EGR sol valve replaced in May, and realised that the problem was still present about a week later. I booked the car in again, but had to cancel the booking, and then went on holiday. I called yesterday to re-book the car in, and was told that because the warranty has expired, the cost will be mine!!!!! Funny thing is, if it is another faulty EGR solenoid valve, the warranty for that expires at the same time as the cars despite only being a month old. Audi claim that IF it is replaced under warranty, the new part is covered as long as the cars warranty. If I had paid for the new part, it has a 2 year warranty - what crap is that???

I discovered that it was the EGR SOLENOID which had been replaced under warranty in my car - the fault subsequently appeared to actuallty be with the EGR VALVE, but warranty had expired - I was told I would have to pay (for their mistake in replacing the wrong part!!??)I complained to the dealer and they said they would contact Customer Care to see it they would make a contribution - they rang me back to say that Customer Care weren't prepared to pay anything! - by this stage I was pretty chessed off and rang customer care who informed me that they had no such phone call from the dealer!! - they agreed to pay 90% of part cost and 1/2 labour (still leaving me £100.00 to pay the dealer) I have written to the dealer to complain about being lied to and my dissatisfaction that they have not been prepared to contribute one penny and had I not contacted Customer Care myself I would have been left with the full bill! - A week has passed and I have received no response from the dealer - surely this is no way to treat your customers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Hi all, I have just bought an A4 TDI 130 SE - 5 speed gear box,
a number of things that i have found out may be of some help...
there are 2 different 130TDI PD engines used in the A4!!, both producing 130PS, however the torque is different - i'm not sure by how much, they are more easily described thus - low torque, and high torque, If you have a 5 speed gear box like my A4, then you have the low torque version, all 6 speed have the high torque version.
My previous car - GOLF GT TDI 130PD was fitted with the high torque verion 6 speed, and it was DEAD from 1000rpm through to 2000rpm in any gear inc 1st. also I found the 6 gears uselless and didn't want an A4 with a 6speed.
I have found the 5 Speed A4 has strough even pickup right from 1000rpm and shows only 2400rpm at 80mph. However their is a booming sound from the exaust at any road speed when the engine revs around 2050rpm.??

Hello all, if any of you are still in this forum! Never solved the problem on my 130 pd tdi. Have at this stage replaced the EGR solenoid valve, the main EGR valve and the mass air flow sensor. have also made sure th intake mainfold isnt clogged and have had dealer run full diagnostic check. car is going fine but still stutters every so often at around 1800 - 2000 revs . Any AUDI Master techs got any ideas about what to try now - E.C.U. perhaps - any help appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi,
I've given up on Audi being able to fix it. I currently have my car booked in because the cruise control ahs stopped working. Audi did a quick check, but couldn't read any codes from the ecu? They are going to keep it for a few days to find out why the ecu is not talking to their diag tool, sounds like the ecu is faulty. But, I had the ecu replaced when they fitted the cruise control, and that didn't stop the hesitation problem.
So, I just live with it now. I'll start getting more annoyed with it now that it rains everyday.

Yes well i am living with it as well and you know its the kind of thing that sometimes you just think to hell with it it doesnt happen that often and the rest of the time the car is pretty superb but it just shows you the cars are so complex now from an electronic point of view that if the computer doesnt show up a fault you are left with so many possiblities in the line of sensors,ecu, injectors, turbo, waste gate valve, pump solenoid valve, accelerator pedal sensor etc etc that you could just spend a living fortune looking for a needle in a haystack but anyway if anyone does come up with a solution please let a few people on this page know.Hope some engineer in the Audi or Volkswagen factory might log on to this forum some day...!

Just came accross this post searching for something else.. For anyone who's interested I had the same problem with my 2001 130 Tdi sport. I solved the problem by removing the injector wiring harness and tightening the spade connectors on each of the injectors.. It solved the problem straight away. The harness is located under the rocker cover, so its a DIY job. You could just buy a new harness for £41.20 + vat from Audi.. Hope thats of some use...

I have a problem with my 2001 Tdi 130 which hesitates intermittantly when I take my foot off the accelerator and reapply it.-feels like a slight jerking / flat spot. - Always happens at around 1800 - 1900rpm (most noticible in 4th gear) Has anyone come across this problem or know what the cause cound be?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I had a simular problem with mine and after being recommended to replace the flywheel, clutch etc it turned out to be that one of the injectors needed replacing and touch wood since that it's been fine.

Hope you get yours sorted soon.

Rich

Don't know if this is going to be of any use (probably not) but I had a hesitation problem, around 1k-2kRPM in any gear, with my '03 A4 TDI 130 SE which turned out to be fuel related... or it could just be purely coincidental that when I changed the fuel filter and stopped fueling at Morrisons the problem disappeared and hasn't reared its head since!

Being a firm believer in starting with the simplest (and cheapest) in the process of elimination I changed the fuel filter first... Fueled at Morrisons and the problem continued (mildly worried). For the next fill up I went to a Shell and the hesitation stopped (slightly relieved but didn't make the connection). Next fill up was again at Morrisons and the hesitation returned (worried again but started to put 2 and 2 together) so went to Shell again for the next few fill ups and once more the hesitation was gone (very relieved!). Needless to say I've never been back to Morrisons since.