Relay for Coolant After-Run (J151)

Woorlord

shifting to Hyperspace... .
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Recently purchased VAG-COM - full version & cable to resolve a Convenience module problem.
That's all sorted, but I also found an error relating to the engine,
"18325 - Relay for Coolant After-=Run (J151): Open Circuit"

Here is an extract from the log.......

Saturday,24,November,2007,17:04:50:25429
VAG-COM Version: Release 704.1
Data version: 20071016
Chassis Type: 01 - MY Audi A4
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 16 17 45 46 56

VIN: WAUZZZ8E22xxxxxxx Mileage: 83800km/52070miles
--------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No SW: 8E0 909 559 H HW: 8E0 909 059
Component: 3.0L V6/5V G 0003
Coding: 0011751
Shop #: WSC 00088
1 Fault Found:
18325 - Relay for Coolant After-Run (J151): Open Circuit
P1917 - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Readiness: 0110 1101
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.LBL
Part No: 8E0 927 156 G
Component: AG5 01V 3.0l5V RdW 0808
Coding: 0000001
Shop #: WSC 63351
No fault code found.

I have consulted the workshop manual to locate the suspect item (J151), which I suspected was located in the waterproof housing with the ECM & Bosch Motronic control modules and relays/fuses. Workshop manual show it here on the relay / fuse block.

However, although I have found a physical relay where (J151) should be it does not connect to the after run pump.
I suspected this since all the documented wire colours were different to the realy?
What I deduced is the relay in place is the starter motor relay - i.e. control signal from ECM and momentary +12v off the ignition key switch drives the starter motor.
(I guess the ECM signal is part of the immobilizer circuit to prevent engine starting.)
This circuit variation is not documented in the circuits I have.
Now reading the *note and small print on the circuits indicates that (J151) and associated circuitry is for Hot Countries only.
I would guess that the UK is not catergorized as a Hot Country?

I can only deduce that my ECM is not "adapted" correctly - hence the error message since the J151 circuit is not present.
Alternatively, this circuit is implemented in another way with other hardware elsewhere?

I query the adaption as I purchased the car 2nd hand in 2003 (2 years old), and the ECU was replaced under warranty within 4 weeks of this owing to "Oil Level Low" warning popping up every 50 miles. This was found to be an ECU software problem. At that time I recall going back to the Audi garage since they had not enabled my Cruise Control when fitting the new ECU.

[My Car: Audi A4 3.0L (B6) Quattro Sport - 5 speed Tiptronic - 4 dr Saloon]

Anybody got any ideas?

Yes when a new engine ecu is fitted you have to code it up to spec of engine and country.when it comes up if you want to code in coolent pump it is for hot countries only so you don't code it in for uk spec v6,same with cruise control which has to be adapted.good luck

Do you have any info on engine coding - in particular the Hot Country aspect?
Want to get rid of this error hoipefully with the correct coding.
There does not seem to be anything on the Ross-Tech site with regard to engine coding.

As you state in your original post that you have the full registered version of VAG-COM I would contact Ross-tech directly as you don't want to go coding the engine module is you are not sure what you're doing.

Ross-Tech's response was:

"I believe that fault code description is correct. The only Coding
information I can find relates to US market vehicles, which would be
0016751 for your configuration. Did you try the Login with 50000 ? The
Bentley manual for US-market 3.0L A4's has that procedure. Check in
Measuring Block 132 at the fourth field."

Using VAG-COM, logged in with 50000, and then checked measuring block 132 in the forth field and bit 7 was set to 0.
Before attempting this I purchased the A4(B6) DVD from a US supplier and installed last night. It outlines the "Hot-country function, activating/ deactivating"
It says that 132 / field 4:
0xxxxxxx = Hot Country Deactivated
1xxxxxxx = Hot Country Activated.
Note if you log in with 60000 this will activate the Hot country function.

AND the manual also says:
"In the case of non-hot country vehicles, the hot-country function must be deactivated after installation of a new control module, as otherwise a fault memory entry is made."

Cleary Audi did not do this when they replaced my ECU back in 2003 :no:

All sorted and no recurring faults.

Thanks to Andy at Ross-Tech.com for the solution.