Buying an S4....advice needed

MikeS4

MikeS4
Reaction score
went for a test drive in this today:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/280945.htm

Have to say it was everything i expected although maybe not quite as fast, does the auto box effect the acceleration much?
Also noticed that the steering felt light and the front seats 'creaked' a fair bit over bumps. Maybe i'm being picky but wanted to ask any other S4 drivers if this is normal & also some advise on what else to look out for.

Avoid the automatic transmission on the S4, they really are not up to standard. Only the new DSG boxes are worth getting, but this was never an option on the B6.

The steering wheel is renowned for being light but maybe check that the tyres aren't overfilled with air. I've never heard of the front seats creaking, maybe there's just a loose nut or bolt somewhere.

But doesn't the S4 have 'Servotronic' steering as standard? May explain the light feel (at low spped anyway).

As for creaks, the only creak my car has is a slight one from the armrest if I put all my weight on it. I can live with that :thumbsup:

really depends on yourself if you like the tiptronic option or not
and depends on where you are going to do you mileage
i dont do a lot of mileage every year but when i do its usually round town so personally the tiptronic is ideal for me

when i was test driving i took out both but found the tiptronic way suits my style of driving better

as for reliability i personally aint had a problem with mine and when doing a search there is very very little info comes back on the tiptronic being a problem perhaps someone is confusing this with the cvt gearbox which is reknown for having problems but only on other models of b6 it isnt available on the s4
the manual does seem to throw up a few queries about the clutch not being upto the job but ive spoke to quite a few guys who say this isnt a problem

Have not had any issues mechanically or squeeks/rattles ! Engine is sweet, steering can sometimes feel rather heavy at low speeds, but not surprising with such a large engine up front...

No real issues with the S4 to watch out, but needs a warranty in case anything goes bang - it'll be expensive !

MikeS4 said:
went for a test drive in this today:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/280945.htm

Have to say it was everything i expected although maybe not quite as fast, does the auto box effect the acceleration much?
Also noticed that the steering felt light and the front seats 'creaked' a fair bit over bumps. Maybe i'm being picky but wanted to ask any other S4 drivers if this is normal & also some advise on what else to look out for.

Aftermarket sway bars..(back and front) will take care of the light steering...at least it did for me.
In terms of speed......DP/Exhuast and chip...and the beast will awaken. Goodluck.