AH FabricationsBadger5
    4th Gear

Status

removing steering column cover

hey all, I need to find a switched live for my new JVC HU and the steering column one seems perfect. anyone know what I need to remove the cover tho? looks like a deep hole so no idea whats up there. I suspect a torx of some sort.

thanks.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    you need a mini torx, like the kind used for mobile phones. Got to local friendly tool shop. Mine cost £9 for a set.

if you also remove the under dash panel, there is a very thin red coming from ignition switch (you dont need to remove the shroud). Use this to spark up a relay as follows:

Posted originally by AndyMAC. under the ICE forum:

Disconnect all yellow wires.
    The yellow wire needs to go directly from the HU to the fusebox.
    To tap an ignition on feed from the fusebox:
    Remove the 2 bolts holding the trim panel underneath the steering wheel and then unclip it and remove.
    Unscrew the fusebox to give you access to the back. Using a testing screwdriver find a suitable feed that turns off with the ignition. Make sure you use a wire that runs off the "cold" side of the fuse, i.e. is protected by the fuse. Or use an inline fuse on the wire back to the HU.
    Use a piggyback connector to connect onto the wire from the fusebox and the wire to the HU.
    Feed this wire back to the HU and connect to the yellow wire (ignition on) feed to the HU.
    Job done. THe HU should now retain all its presets and turn on/off with the ignition.
    If you have a small 12v relay then tapping the Accessory feed is actually easier and will then keep the HU on until you pull the keys out.
    All you need to do is remove the trim panel underneath the steering wheel as before, then you'll see a whole bunch of wires running from the ignition switch down the lefthand side of the steering column. There's a black plastic cover which simply unclips giving you access to the loom. There's a really thin red wire in the loom, it's the only really really thin one. Cut this wire and use a terminal block to reconnect it along with a new wire. Feed the new wire back to the HU. Replace the trim panel.
    Connect the new wire to the switch trigger of the relay (pole 85), connect pole 86 to ground, use the spare permanent live on the old loom and connect this to pole 87, then connect the yellow lead from the HU to pole 30.
    This will then provide a proper ignition on to the HU.

4th Gear

Status
    cheers boner
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

4th Gear

Status
    what relay is requied exactly ?
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE

1st Gear

Status
    i just got one from halfrauds with each of the poles as noted above. I also put my cigarrette lighter to it as ive left my carkit on all night before!!! Bloody foreign wiring!!!

4th Gear

Status
    ah right i will av a look in halfords tommorow
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE