Looking for an A4 Cab

skodaguy

Reaction score
Hi im new to here. Im looking at getting an A4 Cab (cant spell the rest) and want some advice opinions on best engine to go for reliabilty and economy wise and anything i might need to know when looking at them.
Cheers Wayne

Wayne,

Looks like nobody has anything to offer. I'll give you my experiences since my wife and I got one in April of this year.

Obviously the age and mileage will make a difference as will the country you reside in. Being in the states we have a benefit of being able to buy a "certified used" vehicle from a dealer. After looking at many cars we narrowed down what we wanted to a 3.0 Quattro although I truly never drove the 1.8 nor the non-Quattro since the 3.0Q was the first one. The handling in the hilly turns convinced me that it was the car to get, and I read some less than stellar reviews about the 1.8T being troublesome although my brother-in-law has the VW Passat 1.8T and has had no problems. (Coil packs notwithstanding). We were fortunate enough to find an '04 with approximately 12,500 miles on it. The PO seemed to be a woman with long fingernails (holes in the key FOB/remote!!) who was a tad careless whenever a curb was around (curb rash on some rims) but the mileage and the certified warranty was what sold the car. (That and the silver/blue combination)

Thusfar we have put around 6K on the car with zero problems or issues. It's used as my wifes daily driver and she doesn't travel all that far to work and back. According to the trip computer the average fuel consumption is in the 22-23 range and on a recent highway trip that averaged 56 or 57 MPH according to the trip computer, I saw an honest 29.6MPG on a trip over 250 miles in length.

We had been driving a 98 XK8 for the previous three years and find the transition to the A4 a step up. While the Jag probably wins in the WOW :hubbahubba: factor competition, the A4 wins in every other way.:zen:

Paul

Before I bought mine I drove all engine models, the 1.8t is way under powered for the cabriolet offering only 160bhp (i think) you could always remap but thats going to add to insurance and fuel costs and the 1.8t has a 5 speed gearbox.

The 2.5 tdi is a nice all round engine, if your into diesel's that is.

I dont see the point in the 2.5 V6 as its still underpowered with all the added running costs of a V6.

Supprise supprise but I rate the 3.0 V6 best, yes its a little thirsty but on a motorway you will see 32-34 mpg. You will have the lovely V6 soundtrack and plenty of torque in any gear, at any speed.

as for reliability, biggest problems on all engines are coilpacks and waterpumps. Coilpacks have came down in price quite a bit (about £32 each) waterpumps can be expensive and tend to last for 4 years (or 80k) so check service history to ensure the uprated water pump has been changed at the time of cambelt replacement (again 4 years of 80k)

Yes you could go all out and get the s4 cab, or rs4 but to date Iv never driven one (although im buying an S4 ASAP).

Oh big plug but my cab is also for sale!! :icon_thumright:

Ive just bought a 3.0 sport cabriolet to replace My M3 cab And I have to say its just fantastic ! Fuel wise its brilliant for a 3.0 V6 Its comfortable Goes realy well And is well Equiped ! I also aspire to an S4 But for now the 3.0 is just fine !!!!
Picture083.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Picture088.jpg

A mate of mine will be selling his shortly. Spec is:
Audi A4 Cab 3.0 Sport
Met Silver (Blue roof)
Full Blue Leather
Bose & 6 CD Changer
Heated/Folding mirrors
Electric front seats
Reg. July 2002
45,000..ish miles

Let me know if you're interested. It is one of the very first ones that came to the country as they had pre-ordered it when the model was announced.

hi
ive not long had my 18t and its great but have to agree with everyone else, it is underpowered and very thirsty.
a freind of mine has the 2.5 v6 tdi and again not very powerful nor economical so i guess the 3.0 v6 would be a good option, i didnt go for one due to running costs and what seems to be greater depreciation on the 3.0 .
on the later model i think they now do a 2.0 tdi which might be worth looking at.
despite all the slating of my own car i still love it, its a very well built smooth classy car and will get the later shape next year.
good luck in getting one, its the right time to buy one as they are very cheep this time of year.
which ever one you get im sure youll be happy with it.
lea

1wheelonly said:
hi
ive not long had my 18t and its great but have to agree with everyone else, it is underpowered and very thirsty.
a freind of mine has the 2.5 v6 tdi and again not very powerful nor economical so i guess the 3.0 v6 would be a good option, i didnt go for one due to running costs and what seems to be greater depreciation on the 3.0 .
on the later model i think they now do a 2.0 tdi which might be worth looking at.
despite all the slating of my own car i still love it, its a very well built smooth classy car and will get the later shape next year.
good luck in getting one, its the right time to buy one as they are very cheep this time of year.
which ever one you get im sure youll be happy with it.
lea

Great coulor combo on that red car Mate ! Nice bike to !! :respekt:

Not sure how you can say the 1.8t is thirsty. I've had two cars with 1.8ts and I managed 40mpg on a motorway run at 90mph. My Octavia vRS was 240bhp and never dropped below 33mpg on the overall trip computer.
The 1.8t is easy to insure, tried and tested in tuning and repair costs are low.
Don't under estimate the 1.8t !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just get a remap and it will transform the 1.8T !

im finding thirsty cause ive just sold a A4 1.9 tdi 130 chipped and you never had to see a fuel pump, now i seem to live at one.
its worth it though, its a great car.

Ran a 52 reg 3.0 Sport (Moro Blue -Black Nappa + a few bits) from new, superb motor and very economical, especially compared with the A3SB 2.0T Quattro I'm using until TT comes in March! So.. I would recommend 3.0 or maybe the 3.2, although having said that the 2.0T is a cracking engine!!