Ferodo DS2500 problem

russgt

Reaction score
Changed the rears with no probs but with the fronts I noticed there were no wires on the DS2500's for low wear warning. I fitted the pads and just covered the connector which I cable tied to the bracket.
The DIS is showing "(0)" for low wear, but what I really want to know is.... does it need to be reset via Vag-com to remove the "(0)" or do I need to do something with the disconnected wire connector? :ermm:

You could cut the sensor wire off your old pads,cut and connect the two wires together and plug that into the sensor plug.

james0808 said:
You could cut the sensor wire off your old pads,cut and connect the two wires together and plug that into the sensor plug.

But wouldn't that be the same as activating low pad warning? if the 2 wires were joined together that would complete the circuit? I'm not sure.
I cannot use the old pad wires with their connectors because they were damaged when removed :notme:

Try putting a wire across the two pins in your sensor plug,if the light goes out you can tape it up.
Thats what i did on my Golf.

Do you have stock calipers on the 3.0? I didn't know that Ferodo did the DS2500 fitment for these - very interested in that - had DS2500s on my S2, they're fantastic pads...

dan_b said:
Do you have stock calipers on the 3.0? I didn't know that Ferodo did the DS2500 fitment for these - very interested in that - had DS2500s on my S2, they're fantastic pads...

Yea I'm running stock calipers and rotors, still bedding in so too early to praise the pads just yet ,however they do have excellent reviews everywhere :w00t:

I should point out though that these pads are infact illegal for road use on any car made 2000 onwards... so I'm told :yes:

russgt said:
I should point out though that these pads are infact illegal for road use on any car made 2000 onwards... so I'm told :yes:
Where did you get that from?? I don't believe that. The DS2500 has to be the pad of choice for S3 owners with or without the Brembo junior GT kit upgrade (making it the same setup as the Leon Cupra R).

Back to original question - you can turn off the DIS message using VAG.COM

russgt said:
Yea I'm running stock calipers and rotors, still bedding in so too early to praise the pads just yet ,however they do have excellent reviews everywhere :w00t:

I have been raving about DS2500s for the last 3 years or so, one of the best investments I ever made on my S2 - signifcantly better bite, braking power and fade resistance, and they work from cold. Almost magic!

Do you have the part numbers for those two Ferodo fitments then - I've got the 3.0 quattro too - also where did you buy them from?

As to them being illegal, I can't believe that for a moment.

Just done some more research on this and it would appear on initial reading that they are technically illegal. Which is a shock!!!!

ECE R-90 seems to have been designed to make sure that replacement brake pads are at least as good as the OE pads. I guess the problem is that DS2500 need heat in them to work properly, so from cold, I guess they would fail the 'matching OE brake pads' test.

I guess if you crashed when the pads were cold and your insurance co wanted to be pedantic then they could have you...

On the flip side, if your car has passed an MOT with DS2500 then your brakes have been tested to exceed the minimum per axle braking requirements.

I'm happy to keep using them.

In my experience DS2500s work perfectly well from cold, and significantly better cold performance than any of the other so-called fast road pads like EBC Green, or worse, EBC Red, which I think are lethal. I still think this is erroneous!

Re the above stuff about Ferodos being technically illegal, I found this post on the Seatcupra.net forums - obviously this doesn't necessarily count as evidence that would stand up in court as proof, but it does suggest a classic case of EU C*ck up?!

I have posted on this several times before.. searchy will find it.
Yes DS2500's are performance pads, classed as Race on the box.
Reg90 is a ******** reg from EU, meant to stop poor performing pads from being sold as equivalents to OE spec... which makes sense. What they did was apply a 15% of OE friction coefficient, but then cocked it up by not just making it within 15% of OE on the negative side, but made it +/-15% of OE. this then makes "BETTER" performing pads outside of reg 90 because they perform better.

functionally they work far better than stock, and this is why so many people want to run them.
If you were concerned about the pad in the event of a serious (fatal) road crash, then I can imagine the scenario of the car being taken to bits to determin the cause. Too good a brake pad would'nt likely be one of them, nor identifying every component on the car against every standard around. the only identifyer on the pads is the printing on the back of the pads, which is only printed on.... and can wear off. with nothing printed or legible on the pad, determining the make, let alone the model & spec would seem impossible. Crash test investigation would confirm they were "working" and had sufficient pad material.

you can hypothosise as much as you like as to "what if", and would'nt likely ever leave the house as a consequence.

Reality is the pads perform superbly, stop far better than OE, which when OE fade in hard use, and DS2500s dont, then the DS2500s would be the safer pads to run.

MOT brake testing takes no account of brake materials fitted to the cars, only that they work sufficiently well, which is the important aspect obviously.

I think the upshot of this anyway is not to worry about it - just run the DS2500s and enjoy the improved braking performance all round.

dan_b said:
Thanks for the links - good prices too.

I can't imagine any reason at all why these pads would be road-illegal.

Have you purchased these yet?

dan_b said:
Not yet no! These will be a planned replacement for when my existing pads wear out though.

If you purchase FCP1068H pads for the fronts instead of FCP590H (which is what I was sent) you'll find them about £28 cheaper :icon_thumright:

The pads are the same apart from a slightly different piston retainer tripod clip thingy :icon_thumright: mine fitted no probs. No low wear sensors on any of the DS2500 range I'm told.
If you search FCP1068H in the search box on Balance Motorsport's website you will see that these pads also fit SAAB & Vectra's :faint:

Is there a way to retain the low pad sensor warning without too much giggery pokery? With the different part numbers are you actually still getting the same pad compound?

dan_b said:
Is there a way to retain the low pad sensor warning without too much giggery pokery? With the different part numbers are you actually still getting the same pad compound?

The sensor is embeded into old pads, don't think its possible to fit them to the DS2500's.
These pads still use the same compound :icon_thumright: