telling the difference between 115pd 130pd quattro etc

b21playa

Reaction score
Looking to get a b6 a4 tdi.

How can you tell the diifference between them all?

There is one im looking at on ebay, 2002 52 plate, seller says its the 110bhp model which i know it isnt.

RAC car check shows "a4 tdi se" churchill insurance shows a4 quattro tdi.

How to tell?

Hello mate
The 2002 I believe came in 2 engine powers for the 1.9 TDI, the 100 and the 130. The 100 has a totally chrome TDI badge on the back whereas the 130 has the TD chrome and the I is red. I know its easy to stick on a different badge but the chassis number should start with an AWX I believe. If you have any doubts, call Audi UK customer services, they are very helpful and will confirm all the info they have on the car. They will even read off its full service history with Audi! Very helpful.

Hope this helps!

scottyjohn said:
Hello mate
The 2002 I believe came in 2 engine powers for the 1.9 TDI, the 100 and the 130. The 100 has a totally chrome TDI badge on the back whereas the 130 has the TD chrome and the I is red. I know its easy to stick on a different badge but the chassis number should start with an AWX I believe. If you have any doubts, call Audi UK customer services, they are very helpful and will confirm all the info they have on the car. They will even read off its full service history with Audi! Very helpful.

Hope this helps!

Thanks mate

Its full chrome so I pressume 100bhp. Going to have to leave it, hard to put up with less power (currently have a 330d) so will continue looking for a 130 which will get mapped

john2garden said:
How much are you looking to spend on one???

Well Im got so many decisions, I was actually just thinking of selling my 330d and getting a £5k 320d instead.

I suppose 5k may get you something but really high mileage, then you would have to check cam belt, turbos etc. Things start to go wrong over certain ammounts of miles then you have the problem of 'fix one part then another goes' so you end up having a few trips to the garage. So a 5k car my end up costing you another grand just to get back on the road. It all depends on how many miles you do and if you look after it etc then you should be ok. Ragging the **** off a high miler can be a costly thing sometimes.

The easiest way to tell is that there is a sticker in the boot by the spare wheel and in the service book that tells you (amongst other things) the power output of the engine in kW.

john2garden said:
I suppose 5k may get you something but really high mileage, then you would have to check cam belt, turbos etc. Things start to go wrong over certain ammounts of miles then you have the problem of 'fix one part then another goes' so you end up having a few trips to the garage. So a 5k car my end up costing you another grand just to get back on the road. It all depends on how many miles you do and if you look after it etc then you should be ok. Ragging the **** off a high miler can be a costly thing sometimes.

Looking at something around 110k, no cambelt on them.

I had a facelift 320d before my 330d, but there were known turbo problems so I sold it, the prefacelift one was said to be strong.

icenutter said:
The easiest way to tell is that there is a sticker in the boot by the spare wheel and in the service book that tells you (amongst other things) the power output of the engine in kW.

Never thought of that, my Leon had one in the boot as well

I think the turbo on the 320d has a reputation for spitting its internals into the engine.

My TDi 130 is on 170k miles, only issue was a new turbo a few months ago, still drives nice & tight.
I'd certainly recommend high milers, definately newer model with high mileage is far better than an older model with suspiciously low hard mileage. School run only cars have a realy hard life.

yeah Ive only just bought myself a TDI Avant 130 with 112000 on the clock and it drives like a new car! Its just had the cam belt and tensioners done and a full service, bargain at 6200! Full leather, sunroof, electrics the lot! If you keep your eyes out there are good buys to be had, and with these cars there seems to be no problems with higher miles at all.

the 100bhp = 74KW and the 130BHP = 96KW. So do not get caught out by thinking a 96KW model isa 100bhp because the numbers are close.