Volks AutosChris Nott

Thread: Car Covers...

sage33e

Status

Car Covers...

With the onset of bloody cold weather, I was wondering whether any of you - like I might - use a full/half car cover 'in lieu' of a garage. I've been having a look at some half covers (I've got a cab) but I'm wondering which to go for. Incidentally, the Halfrauds ones look crap, so it'll have to be a different option to this.

Any help/advice appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I'd be very worried about the damage these would do to the paint.
    Just imagine the scratches dragging one of these over a car, especially if it wasn't 'just washed'.

Think they would also effectively seal in any moisture on the car. I would personally only consider such a cover if I were to be storing a car for an extended period of time. Not for everyday use.

I don't think leaving the car outside is a particularly bad thing. Only thing you would potentially save is de-icing the car on a frosty morning but how wet would you get taking one of these things off if it were raining? It would be like power kiting on a windy day (one good gust of wind and you and the cover could be three streets away).
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

TORQUETRONIX-DONEGAL

Status
    m8 of mine went 1 step further and bought a carcoon for his cherished motor @ a cost of nearly £600
    http://www.carcoon.co.uk/

The wee toerags around my neck of the woods would have a cover stroked and use it as a tent or something stupid lol

JJ-TINTS@CARNOISSEUR,
    CARRIGANS,CO.DONEGAL
    TEL/TXT: 07989 480 697 / 07929 779 229
    JJ-TINTS@HOTMAIL.CO.UK

sage33e

Status
    I used one for a little while on a 2.0 TDI B7 that I had before my cabriolet. I bought it at halfrauds for about 40 and it was crap. There are some on the market with vents in the roof etc. to let the moisture out - I just wonder how this doesn't let the water in at the same time! I was considering a half cover, to effectively protect the soft top, but who knows?

Luckily where I am there are v few toe-rags, so getting it nicked isn't really a problem.

I take the point however about paint problems - especially remembering the old one that I bought. As for Carcoon WTF!!! 600!!! Car must've been worth it!