Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits

Thread: Fuel Leak

1st Gear

Status

Angry Fuel Leak

Got into the car two days ago and started smelling fuel, had a look underneath by the rear wheel and dripping petrol, car has gone into an independant garage yesterday, the have found fuel line cracked as has been rubbing on the chassis.

I am pretty pissed off to say the least as is going to cost a good bit in labour, apprarently a design fault, the garage is going to try and do a mod to protect the pipe to avoid this happening again, car is an 04 plate with 25k miles and car went out of warranty in March so no luck with Audi.

Anybody else had this issue? If not I would probably suggest having a look to modify the pipe or wrapping something round it to prevent a similar fate to mine.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope it doesnt cost too much. I'll have to be wary with my B6

1st Gear

Status
    I'll let you know the cost, apparently the fuel tank needs to come out, just aswell i was down to 1/4 tank of V power.

Should get the car back this afternoon.

Blowin Out Black

Status

Angry

I had this problem with my TDI (obviously diesel not petrol) but it turned out to be a small hole like a pinhole in the diesel cooler that apparently cools the diesel that the engine does not use on its return to the tank.

280 + labour for the cooler. Dealer only part.

4th Gear

Status
    sorry to hear that a4 hope this doesnt happen to mine
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a4sline190
    I'll let you know the cost, apparently the fuel tank needs to come out, just aswell i was down to 1/4 tank of V power.

Should get the car back this afternoon.
    Never heard of this on an A4 before. Is your car Quattro? Can you let us know exactly what was at fault?

All the best

BUB
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Not a Quattro, plastic fuel line from tank was rubbing onto chassis and wore it away to a leak, got it sorted £17 for the part and £83 labour, so am pretty happy its sorted now, garage has protected the new pipe by putting a foam jacket over it to prevent it happening again. Hope nobody else has this issue.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Bit late to the party here, but wanted to post up that exactly the same thing happened to my 2003 A4 Avant 1.8T 190 at 40k miles. Again, not Quattro. Fuel feed pipe to fuel filter chaffed on the chassis above the filter, opening the pipe up and spraying petrol all over the underside of the car. I drove from Manchester to Carlisle with it leaking and the underside of the car was soaked. This was 250 miles after being serviced by a franchised Audi dealer!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a4sline190 View Post
    Not a Quattro, plastic fuel line from tank was rubbing onto chassis and wore it away to a leak, got it sorted £17 for the part and £83 labour, so am pretty happy its sorted now, garage has protected the new pipe by putting a foam jacket over it to prevent it happening again. Hope nobody else has this issue.
    Hi mate can you tell us if you can see this pipe where it rubs on the chassis.

Many thanks

Reverse Gear

Status
    With the car on a ramp it's fairly easy to see. In front of the offside rear wheel there is a plastic deflector plate which notionally covers the fuel filter. If you either bend the plate back or remove it you'll see the fuel filter and a number of fuel hoses. On mine, the fuel hose to wear through was one of the two from the top of the tank down to the filer. It wore through by chaffing against the weld in the middle of the chassis member which is directly above the fuel filter. The chaff point is clearly visible from below with the deflector removed or bent back. The chaff was around 6 to 8 inches back on the delivery line to the filter from the tank.

I lost around half a tank of petrol over a 3 hour period from a pin-sized chaff hole.

jp1
    Reverse Gear

Status
    well look's like I might have the same problem as Grantola above, Leaking from the position of the fuel filter just in front of the off-side rear wheel.

Had the car MOT'ed on Saturday, drove 100 motorway miles straight after the MOT, not driven Sunday or Monday, Tuesday I find fuel pissing out when I drive 5 miles.

Took in back to MOT station, they wouldn't let me look at it with the MOT guy, claim that the pipe is split, but didn't tell me which one!!

Having it looked at by another garage tomorrow where I will get the real story. Leak in line due to chaffing or one of the connectors screwed as the pipe was pulled to hard during the MOT.

190 S LINE QUATTRO

Status
    Does this problem seem only to affect the Non-quattro models, mine is the 1.8T quattro S-line 2004, its done 70K miles and i have owned from 59K.

I assume the chaffing is on the rear axle where as the quattro will use a rear subframe?

jp1
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Both pipes now replaced (from tank to filter). £35 for pipes, £40 labour from my local village garage. £85 all in inc VAT. So I can't really complain.

My car is 1.8T 190 SE.

Car has done 132k miles, so maybe it's just a matter of time as opposed to design fault. Garage did say that pipe was rubbing against chassis, but obviously it has taken 132k miles to cause the split.