HIGH HIGH Fuel consumption but-

ang12el

Reaction score
A4 Avant 115bhp 52 reg 115K on the clock on trip computer on Emc shows as 38.5! mpg I am lucky if I get 200m out of £20 diesel according to parkers it should be in the region of 48mpg. Just yesterday I had the timing belt water pump and tensioners and full service done inc doors lubricated suspension and exhaust also checked. Surely this should rise the Emc was fully checked at the VAG garage it was in and the mechanic said that it was mechanicaly one of the best cars he had worked on no problems reported via the Vagcom.

So what else or should I say were the heck is my fuel going.... anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing it or is it one of those VAG mysteries where I will never find the answer?

there is a few people on ere saying they arnt gettin good mpg from the tdi,s how are you driving it ? i would b happy with 38.5 if your getting this round town etc sounds ok to me

Thanks for the reply its mix of urban and motorway. more so motorway than anything else. either someones syphoning my fuel or the car is being held back by a black hole! either surely it should be better when my mates quatro 3.0 and been remapped is getting 40+ round town I aint thrashing my car as I also hold a LGV 1 licence so know how to drive according to the condtions so to speak.

Indeed, what sort of driving do you do? If its short journeys on a start/stop then thats about right.

If its longer journeys then you should be over the 50 mark!

I averaged 58mpg on a 38 mile journey both town and motorway!

Thanks for the reply been thinking this might have something to do with it my journey is 8 miles to work via urban and motorway there and back talking 16miles. < what do you think OR is there another cunning plan that has come to someones mind to get to the bottom of it.

:icon_thumright:

Take it for a good long drive at the weekend, motorway preferably, normal speeds and see what that does. Do you use the same garage to get diesel? They might have sheite fuel. Some of my local garages diesel doesnt seem to last as long as some others.

ang12el said:
quatro 3.0 and been remapped is getting 40+ round town

Sorry but there is no way on earth that a 3.0 quattro gets 40+ around town unless it's ALL downhill or he's getting a tow

Agree,no way can a 3.0 get 40+ around town,i doubt he will get that on a motorway driving like miss daisey.

My 1.8T gets around 23mpg in town, how can a 3.0 quattro get 40+?

It's got to do with the lengths of you journey. Modern diesel engines are very thermally efficient and take a long time to come upto the right operating temperature due to the lack of wasted energy in the combustion process. The best way to check is to put you DIS system onto the instantaneous mpg and then take the car for a drive of say 50+ miles on the motorway. After the engine gets properly warmed up you should see the mpg go way up

I have a 1.9 TDI Quattro Sport 130bhp. I put £20 VPower diesel in the other day and i only got 135 miles? The next time i filled up, i put normal diesel in and it took £56 to fill from light on. I got 490 miles showing on the DIS. I'll report back when the light comes on again.

Is this normal though or am i using too much? The £20 Vpower was rouund town driving. I have also just had full service including cambelt etc...

Ohps stand corrected he gets 40 mpg on the motorway at constant 85 I know this is definatly right as I was in his car this morning from Leeds - Liverpool.

Will give the suggestion re the motorway a go and report back. Thanks for the info so far:icon_thumright:

james0808 said:
Agree,no way can a 3.0 get 40+ around town,i doubt he will get that on a motorway driving like miss daisey.

Agreeing with this one, no way is this physically possible! Im getting at best 32mpg on a mixed cruise driving like my mum in my 3.0 Quattro Sport!

As for the original query, im going with giving it a long run at contstant cruise to "blow out the cobwebs" so to speak. Always helped in diesels i've had in the past.

ang12el said:
Ohps stand corrected he gets 40 mpg on the motorway at constant 85 I know this is definatly right as I was in his car this morning from Leeds - Liverpool.
Thats still a good figure for a 3.0.:icon_thumright:

I'm getting 44-46mpg outta my 1.9TDi 130 Sport (i have to work out my mpg manually as it don't have the computer! :( ) Maybe yours needs a tune?

ang12el said:
A4 Avant 115bhp 52 reg 115K on the clock on trip computer on Emc shows as 38.5! mpg I am lucky if I get 200m out of £20 diesel according to parkers it should be in the region of 48mpg. Just yesterday I had the timing belt water pump and tensioners and full service done inc doors lubricated suspension and exhaust also checked. Surely this should rise the Emc was fully checked at the VAG garage it was in and the mechanic said that it was mechanicaly one of the best cars he had worked on no problems reported via the Vagcom.

So what else or should I say were the heck is my fuel going.... anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing it or is it one of those VAG mysteries where I will never find the answer?

200 miles, 20 quids worth of diesel, thats really good...

Think about it

It's now 1 quid a litre, 20 litres is 4 gallons, thats 50mpg

Remember fuel has gone up

golf said:
My 1.8T gets around 23mpg in town, how can a 3.0 quattro get 40+?

I'll second that - the 1.8T's simply sup juice during urban driving

Yep &#163;10 per 100 miles is exactly right. Don't believe the trip computer, you need to do your own calculation.

Recently I've been getting an average of 29mpg in town, as I have been driving like an absolute granny, it's not easy or fun but I put in exactly 15 litres and I managed to squeeze out 105 miles which aint too shabby.

The DIS mpg reading can be way off! Mine was always overreading. So much so I've got it spot on now by using VAGCOM to make it 115% from 100%. It would say 58mpg, now it's 49mpg, more like it!!!! 100 miles for £10 isn't far off, your DIS sounds way off to me!

Hope mines doing good,i get around 150-160 on £20 of diesel around town,involving alot of stop starts, A4 TDI 130.

On the run (motorway) 124 miles on £11.20

Today display was showing '10 miles' to empty,i then filled up with £30 quid and center display was now showing ''255'' miles to empty,that was telling me that i would get around 80 miles to a tenner around town.

Ill Agree with these boys, Though the topic is about Diesel, My 1.8T delivers avearge 24mpg until the hefty foot comes out now and again then its 75-85 miles to £20 Vpower/BP before the Petrol 'Dinnngggggg' alerts me
pav-g said:
I'll second that - the 1.8T's simply sup juice during urban driving

Agree, I get 300 miles to tank if im lucky, but mostly with a heavy right foot.

I can get around a 100 to a tenner, on a run 110 easily maybee more.
This is a 130 Avant sport TDI with 146k

banny said:
I can get around a 100 to a tenner, on a run 110 easily maybee more.
This is a 130 Avant sport TDI with 146k
Hows your fuel fed into the engine - through a straw:hubbahubba: if you are getting over 110miles or 220 to say well 4 and a smidgeon gallons the you are doing very well is that motorway miles or stop start round town?... Just this morning I stuck in (got stung here) as didnt reaslise the petrol station I go to round the corner which by the way sells the cheapest diesel in the area 95.8p per ltr. However they have started selling the V power diesel but the price is not on the display board on the forecourt. I went to a pump and didnt realise that this was a V power pump and filled up my normal £20 when got in car realised that I had paid £1.05 per ltr!!!
Now I have done just over 100 miles and I am going to have to fill up again shortly:faint: So I am getting like erm 25 miles to the gallon now :faint:

As said about a million times on this thread &#163;10 should get you about 100 miles (depending on driving style and city or motorway), so if you're getting 100miles to 20 litres thats only 23mpg i.e there's something definately wrong with your car. I get about that from my 2.8Q petrol.
Our 130 TDi averages 48mpg and even in stop start traffic never falls below 30mpg on the DIS and purely on motorway cruising at 80-85mph will deliver 60mpg.