3.0 Quattro Sport - Any good?

lgatland

Reaction score
We are looking to change our second car (A3 2.0TDi) for a more practical car. We cannot afford the new shape Sportback - so have been looking at alternatives.

My wife likes the Golf, but I think after an Audi it would seem like a step down!

We already have a A4 Avant (1.8T 190) so I have been looking at A4 saloons and came across this at fontain (http://www.fontain.co.uk/vehicle-de...nsmission=&intMin=&intMax=&RSpage=1&ID=313124) A4 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic for £9,995.

What are these like compared to the 1.8T and are they any good? (I have heard mixed reviews in the past on the 3.0)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Depends on what you're after really. They're not much quicker, any better specced, and are more expensive to run generally. I'd have the 3.0 over the 1.8 any day though, the sound is far superior.

If you can live with 25mpg then do it :happy:
**Nice to see Fontain have dropped the price on that one - in April they had it up for £10995.

thats been on Fontain since April? thought it look familiar.

Prehaps wait another month - and it might be 8 grand!!

I suppose the other question is - is it a good price? the mileage is high, but I am guessing a 3 litre engine isn't going to be stressed much and as long as the cam belt has been changed etc.

will you be keeping the car for a while cos with the mileage being 90k once it gets above 100k the value will drop quite fast and it will b harder to sell on

2 - 3 years I guess.

It is hard to find an alternative - We are selling the A3 to save some money (still on finance and probably worth around 12 grand at the moment) so looking at something cheaper (but still has to be reliable) and bigger (the baby seat doesn't fit very well into the A3!).

If we get something like this - my wife will keep the current A4, or I get the current A4 back and she gets a 2-3 year old Golf 2.0TDi 5 door.

i would get a tdi being a golf or an a4 if u want to save money and it will hold its value aswell the 1.9 tdi 130,s are good a4 wise

we had the 1.9TDi A4 Avant before changing to the 1.8T last December. Good car - but prefer the petrol!

I have a 3.0 sport Quattro, had it just over a year now having sold a rather peachy S2 Coupe due to family commitments!

I originally set out to get a 1.8T quattro, but was trying hard to find a 190 version (and failed). Test drove several 1.8Ts and then went out in the V6 and there was no comparison really. The V6 is a very smooth and relaxed drive, and quicker than you think and makes a lovely noise. Lots of torque on tap, it's a good engine.

Fuel economy is a little disapointing and you'd no doubt get better on the 1.8Ts, especially in urban driving - sure it's better than the 20mpg I had grown accustomed to with the S2, but I reckon I don't do any better than 25mpg. It's also in the high bracket as far as Co2 is concerned - depending on reg it'll either be classified an F or a G, so watch out for Ken Tax...

Guess it depends on what you want from the car - would you want to chip a 1.8T? I got the 3.0 re-mapped by MRC which freed up the top end quite nicely, but you'll never get the mod-gains on an N/A engine vs. a quick re-map on a T.

I think that's a good price from Fontain by the way -I paid quite a bit more than that for mine from Fontain (although it only had 50k on the clock!)!

good to hear. I dont think emissions and economy are much worse than the 1.8T (190) - very rarely see 30mpg and it is in the top tax as well (luckily old enough to avoid the new £300 super tax!)

We may also be buying a caravan (don't shoot me!) next year and the 3.0 will be a better tow car (although have also seen on Fontain an AllRoad 2.7T which would be even better - just not sure of the wood trim)

the 2.7 twin turbo engine is excellent that would be an excellent towing motor the allroad and bigger but depends what you really want at the end of the day if the wood trim is no good just change it !

I testdrove an A6 2.7T as well - I understand that motor is essentially the bi-turbo S4 but de-tuned? Anyway the particular one I drove had a very sloppy box if you excuse the expression so I walked away (plus the wood trim, urgh!)! The A6 is significantly larger than the A4 and you really noticed the size in the way it handles.

the 2.7t in the a6 is the same engine as an s4 and also rs4 which is far superior to the 3.0 a4 engine and the 1.8t. in the s4 it produces a factory 265bhp and the cosworth tuned rs4 is 380 bhp in standard trim. the only thing with this engine is there was no auto option on the s4 as audi,s auto box,s at the time couldnt handle the torque which is why it was de-tuned for the american market they got 250 instead of 265 bhp.so if you buy an a6 2.7t with auto you will be limited to the amount of power you can put through the box

I've had my 3.0 Quattro Sport for 17 months now & have loved every second of it! Took me 3 months to find a low miler with the Votex kit & full leather which were my main 2 criteria. Surprising how hard this is as not too common in reality! Was choosing between the 1.8T & the 3.0 & chose the 3.0 because I decided it was that much more to run, sounded awesome & so much smoother to push hard. I do a 22 mile trip to work which is a mix of crawling through town & motorway driving. Having switched to Tesco 99 fuel im seeing 31-32 mpg with a fairly casual driving style. If you push it will drink more, but then the 1.8T is a very thirsty engine for its size! Car tax isnt much more in reality, and in my case the insurance wasnt much more either! If you can afford to run one, you'll love it! Another point is, people often want to de-badge their cars to get a cleaner look, me personally, I want people to know im driving a 3.0 Quattro so the badges are loud & proud on the boot lid still!!

Only way you'll make your mind up is to drive a 3.0 & a 1.8T to see what you prefer.

We already have a 1.8T (190) avant. This will be to replace an A3 (need to sell the A3 and get something cheaper and bigger - due to baby). Currently my wife is driving my A4 and I am driving the A3 (which I am not a big fan of).

Love the 1.8T (although it got broken into 4 months ago - and doesn't feel like mine anymore) - needs a bit more poke, but not looking at remaps etc at the moment.

Was just looking at other alternatives - as I am not keen on replacing the A3 with a Golf/Focus etc (even though my wife will be drving it - I see it as a step down).

Badge snobbery alive and well here!!!

The A3 is a TDi and we used to have an A4 TDi.

Might consider a bigger engined desiel so a bit more power and smoother. The A3 2.0 TDi is a bit rough.

Cannot beat the sound of a petrol engine.

Have been looking at Allroad TDi's - but they are a bit out of our price range (up to around 12K).