Rear Parking Sensor Problem

capercaillie

Reaction score
I am having problems at the moment with the above-mentioned.
When i select reverse, the warning tone immediately activates while stationary. This tone is continual as if you have come up close to an object. It happens about 40% of the time now and i am threaders with it. When i took it into Audi, what happened - it worked perfectly. They obviously cannot detect a problem when it's working - but i also cannot take it in every time it goes off it as it can happen anywhere at any time. Any help would be appreciated.

I had exactly this on my S4, initially the fault was intermittent (as yours is), but eventually it proved terminal. Two of the sensors had died. I was quoted nearly £300 by my dealer to supply and fit new items!

jv,

Did you get it repaired by your dealer or go somewhere else? Do you know if this is a common fault with the sensors?

jvbates said:
eventually it proved terminal. Two of the sensors had died. I was quoted nearly £300 by my dealer to supply and fit new items!

Oh no!

I was getting driven up the wall by the sensors on my A6 with this problem. Intermittent for a couple of weeks, and then seem to have mended themselves. They've now been working just fine for the last few weeks.

So maybe yours will be ok too. When I posted about it on here, I just got told to clean them :unsure:

Even if it is an intermittent problem, it would have stored a fault code in the parking control unit. Sensors cost about £40 plus a tin of aerosol at a tenner from the stealer.
If it didn't store a fault, then give 'em a wipe over and make sure there's not a big fat fly on it ! ! !
HTH

Hiya,

Something you can try yourself to diagnose this, is to put your car in reverse, but shut the door so you can't really hear the buzzer.

Then, sneak up on the sensor & shout BOO as this can sometimes shock them back into life, NOT!!

No seriously, when you have a working sensor, if you put your ear to it, you will hear a very very faint clicking/ticking as the sensor receives & transmits it's signal. Obviously you have to be in a quiet area for this so next to a main road is a no no. If you get no noise, then you can take it that sensor is faulty & is the one playing up. If it's quiet enough & you can hear the sensor ticking without anything in it's path, again this will point out the faulty one, as they only tick when transmitting & getting a signal bounced back, like a sub's sonar. As daft as it sounds, an idea may be to sit in the boot, & be above the sensors to see if one is clicking to itself.

Even a speck of dirt in the ring of the sensor can cause false alarms. Also, if they have been retrofitted, & painted & the paint is too thick or dense this can cause issues. Just remember, a code will only have been logged if there is a faulty sensor. If it's just dust or a foreign object on the outside of them, then they will be seen to be picking up an object & working correctly!

Hope this helps you diagnose it.

Shane, (York)

capercaillie said:
jv,

Did you get it repaired by your dealer or go somewhere else? Do you know if this is a common fault with the sensors?

capercaillie, I did it myself in the end.

I ordered 2 new sensors from VAG parts at £38.00 each, a can of plastic primer for Halfords and an aerosol touchup kit from Audi (£15 IIRC). Sprayed them both with 3 light coats of primer, then 4 of paint and clear. I was going refit them myself as it's a just a matter of unplugging the old ones and plugging in the new ones, but as the car was at QST at the time to have it's V belt and tensioner replaced I got them to do it instead!

I belive you also have the clear the error code via VAG-COM (although they may still work without doing this!)

All in about £100 to do both!

jv

Just to let you know i sorted the problem by part-ex ing it for another model!
Ended up with a nice blue 'used' A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Q S-line instead. Didn't get it fixed, left it to Audi. Oh, by the way this one didn't have them fitted so got them to retro-fit as i do think they are worth it in the long run - especially as the wife drives it too. Retro-fit £350 all-in. Not cheap but didn't want to faff about trying to do it myself and making a right horlicks of it.

my wife says she always hears a load beeping just before she backs into things:crying: :sadlike: