Badger5Sky Insurance

Thread: Newbie...

1st Gear

Status

Newbie...

Hi guys , just new to this forum so though id join and do some research on A4's before i go and buy one...

Currently drive a Vauxhall Astra VXr (no jokes please) but now looking for something slightly bigger as my wife and i are expecting our first child in Feb 08!!! Honestly cant fault the vxr, its a great car to drive and the excelleration is superb!!

Anyway really looking for a 1.8t quattro sport or ideally a 3.0 v6 quattro sport. Definetly would want one with the GMBH kit on it, these look amazing, especially in red!!! (i think thats what the body kit is called, im sure you can point me in the right direction if its not) Really only looking to spend max 12500 so looking around the 53 reg onwards.

Do you guys think this is realistic?

Can any of you guys recomend any of these cars or any other models.

Any pics of your motors would be great!!!

Cheers

Graeme

2. # ADS
    ADS

***** rent boy

Status
    Right, if you're after a comfortable and very capable cruiser I'd go with the 3.0. They have around 220 bhp, instant throttle response and also that V6 sound (a bit tame for a V6 incidentally), also most in that price bracket should be well equipped with leathers and 4 electric windows as well as having the S line kit. Performance won't set the world alight, but it is quick enough (0-60 in 6.7 secs manual) and is a very relaxed drive, with lots of low down grunt.

The 1.8T's are far more common, but the 190bhp engine is a gem and ONLY comes with the S line kit. If you're not bothered about performance then the standard 163bhp 1.8T would be OK, and for 12500 you'd get an absolute mint low miler. However in standard form they are pretty slow, and lack any kind of creature comforts. The 190 is far superior and offers decent performance and sportier looks. I saw this one in Livingston for 10k. The engines themselves are bulletproof, but you may get coilpack problems, bad turbos, coolant leaks and crap unpainted bumpers!

I'd personally save for another few months and get the B7 2.0T, this engine is infinitely better than the 1.8T it replaces, but you would be looking at spending around 15k for one.
    Last edited by golf; 18th September 2007 at 03:03.

4th Gear

Status
    welcome mines a 1.8t 190 sport with the kit on in ebony black mcgough has a nice red avant

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf
    Right, if you're after a comfortable and very capable cruiser I'd go with the 3.0. They have around 220 bhp, instant throttle response and also that V6 sound (a bit tame for a V6 incidentally), also most in that price bracket should be well equipped with leathers and 4 electric windows as well as having the S line kit. Performance won't set the world alight, but it is quick enough (0-60 in 6.7 secs manual) and is a very relaxed drive, with lots of low down grunt.

The 1.8T's are far more common, but the 190bhp engine is a gem and ONLY comes with the S line kit. If you're not bothered about performance then the standard 163bhp 1.8T would be OK, and for 12500 you'd get an absolute mint low miler. However in standard form they are pretty slow, and lack any kind of creature comforts. The 190 is far superior and offers decent performance and sportier looks. I saw in Livingston for 10k. The engines themselves are bulletproof, but you may get coilpack problems, bad turbos, coolant leaks and crap unpainted bumpers!

I'd personally save for another few months and get the B7 2.0T, this engine is infinitely better than the 1.8T it replaces, but you would be looking at spending around 15k for one.
    Thanks for the responce mate. Think deep down it has to be the 3.0 v6, but if a nicely kitted out 1.8t (190) came a long it would be hard to turn down!! Ive heard that these are qute easy to tune with a simple remap!! Is that one in the link you gave me with the standard sport kit, whats the Gmbh kit ive seen on adverts?

I've heard that the B7 2.0t is a good car but really 15k is a bit to much, my vxr was 16k and im trying to reduce my outgoings at the moment so a can save some cash.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jase0851
    welcome mines a 1.8t 190 sport with the kit on in ebony black mcgough has a nice red avant

Thats a nice looking car you have there!! For me, it would have to be the saloon. Im looking for something like this

What body kit is on these ones and are they a standard option?

***** rent boy

Status
    That's the Votex kit. They are available from audi-accessories.co.uk. Quite pricey but I think it's the best looking kit available.

The kit which comes as standard on the S-line is the GmbH kit, they have different names but they are one and the same. If a car has a bodykit fitted from the factory it could be called the S-line or GmbH kit.

The A4 on AutoTrader has the factory fitted kit. Also, yes the 1.8T's are very easy to modify, mine currently has a K03s turbo and a remap and is probably pushing at least 210bhp.

1st Gear

Status
    That's the Votex kit. They are available from audi-accessories.co.uk. Quite pricey but I think it's the best looking kit available.

The kit which comes as standard on the S-line is the GmbH kit, they have different names but they are one and the same. If a car has a bodykit fitted from the factory it could be called the S-line or GmbH kit.

The A4 on AutoTrader has the factory fitted kit. Also, yes the 1.8T's are very easy to modify, mine currently has a K03s turbo and a remap and is probably pushing at least 210bhp.
    Cheers for the info mate. Seen a couple with the above kit on them and in the advert they say 'full factory fitted Gmbh kit' so thats why i was getting confused. Need to sell my Vxr first but still doesn't do any harm looking, I just want one now!!!!!!

What was you car standard, 163 or 190? Thats a nice increase anyway, whats next on the cards for yours?

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    VXR??Very Nice, I do like them, Astra's have came a long way havnt they!

what colour you got??

Go with the Audi 190t Sline in that bright red, remap and miltek = Job done!

***** rent boy

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grae
    Cheers for the info mate. Seen a couple with the above kit on them and in the advert they say 'full factory fitted Gmbh kit' so thats why i was getting confused. Need to sell my Vxr first but still doesn't do any harm looking, I just want one now!!!!!!

What was you car standard, 163 or 190? Thats a nice increase anyway, whats next on the cards for yours?
    Standard it was 163bhp, and it was so slow and wheezy I had a remap on the way home after I'd bought it. It was a lot quicker but something didn't feel quite right, soon after I started getting smoke from the exhaust and a high pitched drill sound. The turbo was on its way out. I got a refurbed K03s from a US spec Audi A4, and fitted it myself at the weekend car pulls much better now, and there's no smoke. The K03s turbo has a different turbine design and can make a few extra bhp than the standard K03. I've got a few things planned for it, a downpipe, turbo inlet pipe and larger injectors with upgraded software should take me to 250bhp.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got a few things planned for it, a downpipe, turbo inlet pipe and larger injectors with upgraded software should take me to 250bhp.
    Now that will be nice . Had planned to do that with my vxr, simple remap and full exhaust would take it to 285. Thats a lot through the front wheels though!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grae
    Now that will be nice . Had planned to do that with my vxr, simple remap and full exhaust would take it to 285. Thats a lot through the front wheels though!!
    But alot of fun.
    Years ago i had a MK3 astra gsi with calibra turbo engine and box running just over 300bhp,i would buy that back tomorrow if i could find it.That thing was amazing.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J7USS
    VXR??Very Nice, I do like them, Astra's have came a long way havnt they!

what colour you got??

Go with the Audi 190t Sline in that bright red, remap and miltek = Job done!
    Ye they are lovely looking cars!! I will miss it when it goes. As you say they have come a long way in build quality, plus the introduction of the VXR range has turned Vauxhall around. Mines is Arden blue with 19's (the best colour they come in!!) heres some pics

Ideally i want something that doesn't look that far off yours. Think the red looks awesome, and the that kit you have looks amazing!! Would be happy with one that looks like yours, lookin very nice!! Just trying to find the right one at the right price. The 1.8t would be nice but think as you say i would start modifyng it however if i got the 3.0 V6 i probably wouldn't, if you know what i mean??

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Yes I agree on the Vxr that is the best colour. I do like them more than I thought I would to be honest, Think it was the Drive I had in my Uncles. Very responsive but found the handling a little hard to get used to, Felt like the front end wanted to go its own way.

When I originally was looking for an A4, I wanted Silver or Denim Blue but hard to come by when I was looking, Especially within my Budget for what I wanted. I seen the red one and I just pictured what I was going to do with it and that was it, I had to have it, Especially the price I got it for. So thats when I caught the Bug...which brings me onto yours, Whether its a 3.0 v6 or a 1.8t, You'll end up modifying it regardless. The A4 Look nice as they are but you already putting a kit on it,Mine is the 1st edition reiger directly from Germany, 700 all in after haggling with them.my kit is discontinued now and they have done a 2nd edition which is Facking Horrible mate, Disgrace to even put reigers name on it,So you catch the bug then it will be one thing after another, Engine wise, with a 3.0ltr V6, you'll end up putting an induction or panel filter on, and how cheap remaps are these days, it would be worth the extra splash out... So bring it on!!!
    Good luck in Finding one, for what you are spending, you'll have no probs.

My mrs would love your astra aswell, She loves them and the S3's!!

Last edited by J7USS; 22nd September 2007 at 20:16.

couldnt fix your brakes,so I made your horn Louder

Status
    I used to own a 3.0 Quattro sport B6 Avant, but swapped for a B6 1.8t 190 bhp.

I prefer the 190 1.8t, better fuel economy, bettter moding potential.
    Drivers better round coners with lighter engine. Turbo is more on the edge fun.

3.0 quattro sounds better, but the exitement of the sound wares off, engine doesn't scream, but still went fairly fast (quicker than 190(standard)).
    Heavy front end on corners, heavy fuel costs.

Both are smooth, the sline 1.8t although not a v6 is very smooth compared to my octavia vrs.

i would recommed either.
    Last edited by powertuningltd; 22nd September 2007 at 20:41.

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for all the comments guys