Twin Powerflow - Whistling Noise

doogleman

Reaction score
Website
www.irishmodified.com
Hi All,
I have a twin powflow s/s exhust on my 1.9TDI. It is pretty loud as it has no back boxes but there is also a loud whistle from the pipes when the car takes off. You cant hear it in the car but you can if you are behind it, even if you are in another car following it, it whistles each time it accelerates.
Has anyone else had this? I have checked the pipes for holes and cant find any. I just thought a pic of the exhaust might help... Ill get a pic of the pipes and put them up in this post tomorrow.

No Boxes?? Bet that is loud, Ive got powerflow and its not massivly loud but its been annoying me for ages.

How long you had the Powerflow on??
Sounds like you are hearing the turbo, usually does it if you have a straight through but im assuming you have still got cat and center box???

its not the turbo is it ? stupid question i know but without back boxes u never know

tbh dont know about the centre box. Haven't had it up on the lift yet myself. The cat is there though as far as i know. Its straight through from pretty much the centre of the chassis. Is the middle box in front of centre? Could the turbo really be whistling down the pipe?? If so is there anything I can do about it other than fitting a back box?

Hearing whistling turbo sounds is usually a boost leak somewhere up in the induction side of the system. Have you noticed any drop in performance or change in fuel consumption?

Nope, nothing like that. There is no whistling sound from the engine, it is coming out of the rear pipes. Its like the air is rushing past a hole or something.

At least it's not a boost leak then. I do remember that when I de-catted my S2 that certainly created a more "swhooshing" sound out of the exhaust when on full-beans, it could just be the lack of baffling in the exuaust system means you're simply hearing the turbine spinning more clearly....

Here are some pics of the pipes. As I said they are s/s all the way to the middle of the chassis with no back boxes and are the largest tail-end you can fit through this kit.
pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

dan_b said:
Hearing whistling turbo sounds is usually a boost leak somewhere up in the induction side of the system. Have you noticed any drop in performance or change in fuel consumption?

my 1.8t 190 whistles a little bit sometimes

How long have you had the exhaust on it & are you having any problems with the tail pipes getting hot & melting the bumper? Just remember my old Vectra that I had a Supersprint exhaust on which had no mid-section silencer, the tail pipes would get v.hot and had to out a shield on the bumper as a result.

p.s. not sure about the S4 badge!!

AAAhhhhhhh!!! :jump: I was waiting for someone to comment on the badge! It was on it when I bought it and I havent bothered changing it yet. In the words of Homer: "it was like that when I got there".

Exhaust is about 5 months old. Not having melting problems but did have to re-weld the left pipe mounting on as it snapped.