Grinding noise from wheel?

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Driving home from work Friday night and all of a sudden, within 0.5 mile of home one of the wheels starts to make a screeching noise, which gets quickly louder and louder and then turns into a grinding sound. Didn't appear to affect driving or braking, but sounded like the wheel was about to fall off or something.

Immediately pulled over, checked both offside wheels (as that was where the noise was coming from). Pulled off the plastic caps, checked all the bolts, inspected the brakes etc as best I could and couldn't see anything wrong. Pulled away again and noise had stopped. Few yards down the road it started again, got louder, then gradually quieter, then stopped. Made it home and it's been on the drive since. Haven't had a chance to look at it today but will do tomorrow.

Anyone know what this could be? A stone? Worn pads/disks? Had the pads changed about 18 months ago when the DIS warning came on, haven't had any warning since though.

Had a wheel bearing replaced about a month ago, but driven 1500 odd miles round France since then without any problems whatsoever. Only problem is the garage forgot to give me back my locking wheel nut key, so I can't even get the wheel off to have a good look!!

Cheers

Mike

I don't remember unfortunately ... but I don't think so. Gave the wheel a good clean today and took it round the block. Half way down the road the noise started again, then stopped. Drove back home, had another good look but couldn't see anything. Drove around again for a bit and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Seems very strange. Going to get it checked out ... once I've got my locking wheel nut key back.

Used to clear the stones out of my old land rover when one got trapped in the brakes, by reversing up to a decent speed, then braking quite sharply. Usually did the trick for me. Try at your own risk!

Well, found the cause of the problem ...

Good wheel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebabs1/1368405712/
Problem wheel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebabs1/1368405722/

... messy!!

As previously mentioned, I had the wheel bearing replaced on this wheel a few weeks ago and looks like a clip wasn't re-attached properly and it's come loose, spraying "gunk" everywhere. It's the metal clip that's getting caught in the wheel and causing the grinding noise.

Garage guy is supposed to be coming out tonight to fix it, as I'm not driving it anywhere in that state!