Two fogs or not two fogs!

henry74

Reaction score
Guys

Just a quick one that shouldn't tax the old grey matter too much! The car's going for its' MOT tomorrow so i've just done the ritual check of all lights etc. I noticed that the 5W tail light was out on the off-side so i whipped the cluster off to change it. At the same time i also whipped off the near-side lens for comparison (as you do!). It was then that i noticed there was only a foglight bulb present in the off-side cluster so i inserted a bulb in the nearside but it didn't work. Is this how it should be (2001 B6 saloon) or is there some kind of fault? Any help is much appreciated!

cheers

Richard

No only O/S on the B6.

I even bought a new bulb holder with all the tracks in place but it still doesn't work.

I've never been able to get an answer if it can be activated using Vag-Com.

BUB

Maybe a fault but more than likely only supposed to have one anyway.

Daft i know but thats the way it is. Often get people asking me for a reverse light bulb on their A3 too. A3's only have one fog and one reverse and both the lenses are clear!

Richard, I did the same usual check while waiting 4 the missus 2 pull her finger out and mine only has the OS working and it saled thro the MOT before i did the lights check so guessing it only has 1 working :think:

You only need the O/S for the MOT but the point is can the N/S be made to work.....?

Seems the only way may be to run a wire over from the O/S.

BUB :thumbsup:

I thought that'd be the case! I don't know why i bothered checking really as i've twice in the past (on other cars) i've checked and believed everything to be ok only for a bulb to blow on the way to the MOT centre and the other time they failed the car (Fiat Cinq Sporting - ahem!), which had all red light clusters, for the indicator bulbs not being yellow enough!
I'm really looking forward to seeing what they find tomorrow as last year the car was MOT'd the day i bought it - by Messrs S. Wonder and R. Charles judging by the fact i needed new pads on the rear 1 week later! I'll report back if there are any noteworthy discoveries!

Cheers

Richard :icon_thumright:

This is common in alot of cars and looks like you can put in a bulb and everything, but as as far as i know it is simply not wired. On my 06 corolla work car for instance this is the case, and when i looked at the wiring loom coming from it, there were less wires in the passenger side than the drivers, therefore it was not wired.

On older B6s all you need is to plug-in a bulb, break out a "spare" bit of plastic in the reflector and add a wire to link the N/S bulb to the O/S bulb. I did this on my 2003 S4.

On newer B6s in addition you need a replacement (LHD) N/S bulb holder becasue the holder for the bulb isn't even fitted. I did this on my 2004 S4.

On B7s you get 2 rear foglights.

PetrolDave said:
On older B6s all you need is to plug-in a bulb, break out a "spare" bit of plastic in the reflector and add a wire to link the N/S bulb to the O/S bulb. I did this on my 2003 S4.

On newer B6s in addition you need a replacement (LHD) N/S bulb holder becasue the holder for the bulb isn't even fitted. I did this on my 2004 S4.

Interesting. our 2004 130 Sport has the holder and the same number of wires to the left and right lights but putting a bulb in made no difference. I thought it might need VAGCOM to activate it. Ours is a 2005 model year car.